The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2018, 09:51 AM   #1
jski

Best bullet puller for cast bullets ?

Looking for a bullet puller for some .45 Colt hard cast rounds. Looked about and found the RCBS collet puller. Got great reviews on Mindway but it's been suggested that a collet puller may be sub-optimal for cast bullets. Not sure why?
Old February 11, 2018, 10:21 AM   #2
hounddawg

hammer style, the collet based pullers destroy cast bullets
Old February 11, 2018, 10:33 AM   #3
condor bravo

The collet type has to grip the bullets rather tightly and will leave grooves in the bullets. Not exactly ruined but the inertia puller is preferable.
Old February 11, 2018, 11:31 AM   #4
briandg

There is a new pliers type. it should work pretty well.

https://grip-n-pull.com/
Old February 11, 2018, 11:35 PM   #5
jski

Ended up going with the Lyman inertia bullet puller. And here's some very useful information to have with it: https://youtu.be/vLcxqisS7KA

Last edited by jski; February 12, 2018 at 01:22 AM.
Old February 13, 2018, 06:16 PM   #6
Chainsaw.

Rcbs hammer type.
Old February 14, 2018, 11:48 AM   #7
jamaica

You did not say why you need to pull bullets. I hate pulling bullets. The only reason I would is if they are loaded too hot to be safe to shoot.... anyway if you must, Chainsaw. has it right: RCBS hammer type. That is if you are interested in keeping and re-using the bullets. If you are not going to try re-using the bullets just grab a pair of pliers and use the press with no die installed. Run the round up and grab the bullet with the pliers and go down. The bullets go in the melting pot.
Do you know what the powder is? I would not save it if it is of unknown type. Make garden fertilizer of it.

Last edited by jamaica; February 14, 2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old February 14, 2018, 12:20 PM   #8
Don Fischer

I've got an RCBS collet puller, never use it. Ruins the bullet every time, jacketed and cast. I use a hammer type and can drop the bullet's out without slamming them into the bottom of the puller, take's a bit of practice. Great for jacketed bullet's as the tip doesn't get mashed. Doesn't really matter with cast bullet's because I've always remelted them anyway.
Old February 14, 2018, 12:56 PM   #9
hounddawg

Quote:
I've got an RCBS collet puller, never use it. Ruins the bullet every time, jacketed and cast.
A friend was breaking in a new 6BR barrel a couple of weeks ago. He was using some pulled bullets and was doing his break in at 200 then decide to stretch it out to 800. Each bullet had a minor ring indented into the jacket from the puller and he was making ragged holes at 200 and then a 1/2 MOA 10 shot group at 800. Surprised the heck out of him, me, and a couple of other observers
Old February 14, 2018, 02:12 PM   #10
MislMan

For the inertia (hammer) pullers, put a foam earplug in the bottom for the bullet to land on. Pretty much stops any damage to the bullet tip.
Old February 14, 2018, 03:04 PM   #11
gwpercle

To make pulling easier , seat the bullet just a little deeper...this breaks the crimp and is easier to pull with the inertia puller, or as my daughter calls it " the whack a mole puller "
Gary
Old February 14, 2018, 03:10 PM   #12
T. O'Heir

"...the inertia puller is preferable..." More fun too. Best thing to whack one on is a rock. Nothing else is as hard. Nothing else is free for the finding either.