The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 16, 2021, 09:59 AM   #1
stagpanther

what da heck--heritage Johnny boy

Just bought a 22lr/22WMR revolver just for the heck of it--and if worse comes to worse I have the stuff on hand to load many thousands of 22lr cartridges. Anyone use one?
Old December 16, 2021, 10:19 AM   #2
Eddiejoe

I have one. Solid performer with just enough "kick" in .22 Magnum to know the difference. I think it's a 6 inch barrel.
Old December 16, 2021, 10:45 AM   #3
stagpanther

Quote:
I have one. Solid performer with just enough "kick" in .22 Magnum to know the difference. I think it's a 6 inch barrel.
I got the 4.5"--I guess that means I shouldn't be taking shots at elk at 1,000 yds.
Old December 16, 2021, 11:17 AM   #4
Bob Wright

You reload .22 rimfires?

Bob Wright
Old December 16, 2021, 12:29 PM   #5
DaleA

Quote:
You reload .22 rimfires?
Apparently.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...highlight=22lr
Check out post #15.
It's amazing the stuff you can learn about on this site. I've learned stuff about Ruger single action revolvers from your posts.
Old December 16, 2021, 12:44 PM   #6
stagpanther

Not really reload--more like "load-loading" with all-new components.
Old December 22, 2021, 08:21 PM   #7
stagpanther

Turns out I got bait and switched suckered by Buds (yet again); they advertised a little Christmas present icon which they said guaranteed delivery before Christmas when sent to a preferred ffl dealer--which I did select and at the time I bought it had the little present icon next to it--but the gun hasn't been sent--and now none of the heritage guns have the guarantee. I contacted them and they basically responded tough luck--if you want your money back we're keeping 10%.
Old December 29, 2021, 12:46 PM   #8
stagpanther

Long lost Johnny Boy finally showed up, took delivery today and of course first things first cleaned and oiled it. Also put the Hawkeye down the barrel (always do that too) and it looks pretty well finished for such a low price budget gun, not quite what I've seen on Badged Taurus products, but still very good. The only things that I saw that give me pause for thought is that they seem to have chamfered the muzzle pretty deep at the muzzle, that results in an angled drop off at the rifling at the crown. The other thing was the forcing cone was pretty heavily leaded, not sure whether I should leave it or get it out.

Other remarks, even for my smallish hands the grip seems small, but I can make do. I haven't shot it yet, but sighting through the notch to the blade front sight is actually surprisingly sharp, just as good as an individual rear sight IMO with the exception you can't adjust it. I think the length of the notch helps.

The most remarkable feature--by far--is the smooth pull and light break, I haven't measured it yet but I doubt it's even 3 lbs, feels more like 2 to 2.5. Look forward to shooting it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6149.jpg (222.9 KB, 662 views)
Old December 29, 2021, 04:26 PM   #9
stagpanther

I just took it out for some test shooting using some ely pistol match. Windage seems to be right on (fortunately)--but at any of the distances I shot to out to twenty yards the elevation using the front blade is much too high, essentially `I had to drop the front blade below the rear notch to get the elevation in the ballpark. Drag of it is, there is no way to adjust elevation on either front or rear sight. Not sure what the best solution is since the front blade looks like it's permanently affixed.
Old December 30, 2021, 10:25 AM   #10
Drm50

I don’t have a Herritage on hand to check but most of the SAs with fixed sights have blade set in slot and staked on sides. If you take a hardwood dowel ( if you care about blade ) and stand gun on muzzel on a block and smack sight blade from rear, it will come out. Don’t peck on it, rap it smartly. A new blade can be fashioned from a coin or I have used a key out of junk box. Once fitted you can restake with small cold chisel blunted. I never file for elevation until staked, so make sure you leave extra hight.
Old December 30, 2021, 10:49 AM   #11
stagpanther

Thanks for that--the front site on the heritage appears to be a braze-on, I don't think you can change it out.
Old December 31, 2021, 02:12 AM   #12
Drm50

Like I said don’t have a RoughRider but parts list shows sight as separate part. So it is removable / replaceable. Next trip to LGS I’ll check one out and see how it’s attached.
Old December 31, 2021, 04:20 AM   #13
stagpanther

Quote:
Like I said don’t have a RoughRider but parts list shows sight as separate part. So it is removable / replaceable. Next trip to LGS I’ll check one out and see how it’s attached.
Even heritage has trouble getting them properly lined up, mine seems to have correct windage so I'm inclined to leave it in place and see if I can come up with a work-around. The rear sight notch could always be ground lower. My inclination would be if I were to replace the front sight altogether I would make the replacement adjustable at least for windage since that is a notorious weak-point of these revolvers. In that respect they are very similar to the Rossi and Taurus guns I have or had, they usually need some "friggin with the riggin" to get them just right, but once you do get them adjusted well they can shoot very well. I don't know if all the rough rider models (they have what seems like dozens of variations) have as nice as trigger as mine, it's really quite remarkable.
Old January 1, 2022, 07:58 AM   #14
stagpanther

I built up the blade with RC 7, sanded it down and then painted a white spot on it, I found the stock simple black was very hard to see when shooting at actual targets. Might work, might not, but simple solution that can easily be reversed.

A bit ironic in that the vast majority of comments I've found on the net are that they are too high--mine is too low.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blade side.jpg (136.5 KB, 478 views)
File Type: jpg sigtht from rear.jpg (77.3 KB, 470 views)
Old January 1, 2022, 07:31 PM   #15
stagpanther

Quote:
vYou reload .22 rimfires?
Fresh batch of 32 gr CUrx driven by alliant 410.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6169.jpg (188.0 KB, 444 views)
Old January 2, 2022, 09:45 AM   #16
stagpanther

The whole reason I bought the revolver to begin with is to see if it can chamber and shoot the reloads using the FedArm preprimed cases. I have 6,000 of them and am pretty much set if they do--but they are not nearly as consistent as the cases that cutting edge supplies with the bullets (which I'm guessing they get from CCI), but I only have as many as the bullets I buy. I'll get a bullet mold and start making my own if it works out.
Old January 2, 2022, 02:19 PM   #17
dgludwig

Quote:
they are too high--mine is too low.
Better too high than too low in terms of an easier elevation adjustment on a firearm with a fixed front sight blade. My vintage Colt Cobra shoots way high and there's no simple fix to making it shoot lower without seriously negating its resale value. My plan is to experiment with different bullet weights and/or just remember to aim way lower.
Old January 2, 2022, 03:07 PM   #18
kenny53

I have a Rough Rider and the only reason I bought it was the 16" barrel. It is a fun range toy. My Darling Bride did buy me a holster for it, and I have worn it in public.

I have tried to attach a picture for the past 45 minutes. You will have to take my word for it.

Last edited by kenny53; January 2, 2022 at 03:22 PM.
Old January 3, 2022, 06:29 AM   #19
stagpanther

The FedArm cases turned out to be a blithering failure--just as they did in my CZ 457. Bent rims and very inconsistent ignitions, what a waste. I'll have to try Cutting Edge's cases and see if that makes any difference.
Old January 5, 2022, 02:46 AM   #20
stagpanther

Switched out the cylinders and tried the 22 WMR, now THAT is fun! Like that much better than the 22lr.
Old January 9, 2022, 04:56 PM   #21
rice paddy daddy

I bought my first Heritage around 2004, as a knock around farm gun that I didn't have to worry about.
i liked it so much that a few years later I bought their 3.5" birds head grip model - it rides just fine in the back pocket of my jeans, no holster needed.
Last year I bought my third. A 4.75" barrel.
The original over 15 year old 6.5" still works fine.

All three wear the magnum cylinder. That gives me the equivalent of a 22LR fired from a rifle in a much handier package.
I keep an empty case under the hammer, that way I can leave the ridiculous "safety" off.

Are they as good as my Ruger Single Sixes? Nope.
But when it's 2:00 AM on a rainy night and the chickens are raising a ruckus and I've got to go check things out, I'll take a Heritage and leave my Rugers inside.
Old January 11, 2022, 09:34 PM   #22
GarandTd

My 6.5" version is spot on. It rivals my MKIII 22/45 for accuracy albeit the sights are harder to be precise with on the Heritage.

I like the addition of white paint to the front sight. I've been considering that myself.
Old January 12, 2022, 10:38 AM   #23
stagpanther

Quote:
I like the addition of white paint to the front sight. I've been considering that myself.
It definitely helps for me--at least some.