The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 13, 2021, 06:01 PM   #1
Rob228

521T

I just won a gunbroker auction for a Remington 521T, for some reason I couldn't figure out why the price was so low (thinking it was a 541). Won the auction then had to do a bit of research on what exactly it was that I bought. Should have it by the end of the week but due to holiday plans it will be another week or so before I have pictures and a range report.

I had been looking for a .22 with peep sights for a while, looks like this will fit the bill.
Old December 13, 2021, 07:58 PM   #2
deadcoyote

I have one of these. Mine was made in 47 I believe. Most accurate.22 I’ve ever owned. Love the thing, and as a bonus it was a gift from a buddy.
Old December 14, 2021, 07:26 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

I have my Dad's 521. He bought it new around 1950 or so.

I just found an old thread here discussing the production codes and it looks like Dad's was manufactured in 1948. He would have been 14 in late 1948 so that sounds about right for when he bought it.

As I understand it, it was originally introduced as the 521 T Junior Special as an introductory target rifle. It wasn't until 1958-59 that it was brought out in a somewhat simplified form as the 521-T and the Junior Special name was dropped.

No matter what, though, the 521s are fantastic rifles. The Lyman 57 sight that came standard was a great intro target sight and these rifles were accurate.

Dad's 521 was the rifle I learned to shoot on, and I LOVED shooting it. It seemed to natural to me.

Back in the 1980s I bought a bunch of different .22 ammo and benched it and found that the most accurate main line ammo, by a pretty wide margin, was PMC Zapper. I went back to the gun shop and bought 5 bricks of the stuff (same lot), which got me through the 1980s and into the 1990s.

One day my Mom came home with a yard sale find for me -- a Weaver C4 scope, new in box. With Dad's blessing I took the 521 to the local gun shop and had them mount a rail base on it to hold the scope.

Made a great rifle even greater. I used that combination to harvest a lot of squirrels in Pennsylvania.

I've not shot that rifle in years. I'm going to have to dig it out of the safe and take it to the range.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 14, 2021, 08:04 AM   #4
Rob228

This one still has the "Junior Special" name on it, and if I am reading the barrel stamp correctly (RSS) it was made in 48.

There will still be a month and a half of squirrel season left by the time it gets here, so that is the plan after a few days at the range. It will likely go to my daughter once she outgrows her Savage Rascal.
Old December 14, 2021, 08:49 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Back in the 1980s I wasn't too happy with the bolt lift on it and at times the firing pin strike seemed sluggish.

I ended up getting directions on how to take the bolt apart (fairly easy to do) and found out that my Dad had never done so. The interior of the bolt was sludgy with old oil and lots and lots of gunk.

Once I cleaned that out and got everything properly lubricated with a light body moly grease it worked a LOT better.

If you're interested, you can get the manuals here. Can't vouch for the quality, though, but I've heard decent things about A&F.

http://www.afdeals.com/index.php?mai...products_id=36

Old December 28, 2021, 04:54 PM   #6
Rob228

Mike,

I just picked it up today. Looks to be in great shape but the inner workings are packed with grease, going to take some cleaning. It came with the original sling which is also in pretty good shape.

One question though: Is your barrel free floated or is the last inch and a half or so of stock raised up in the channel pressing up on the barrel? I can't tell if it left the factory this way or someone worked on it afterwards, it looks like its been re-stained so I think maybe some stock work did happen.
Old December 28, 2021, 08:15 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Rob,

To be honest, it's been years since I've pulled the action from the stock, so I don't remember.

I'm still on vacation for the holidays, and won't be back until the middle of next week.

Shoot me a private message and I'll pull it from the safe and check it out.

Old December 28, 2021, 08:47 PM   #8
Rob228

Thanks, I'll hit you up after the new year.
Old December 29, 2021, 09:43 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

How many magazines did you get with it?

I've got the two 5-round flush magazines that came with it when my Dad purchased it.

I also found the Lyman rear sight the other day. I took it off when I mounted the scope (wouldn't clear).

Unfortunately I discovered that it's rusted, so I need to clean it up when I get back home.

I really doubt if I'll ever use it again now that the scope is on it (and especially since I'm having a lot of troubles with my right eye), but I want it to be nice.

How many apetures did you get with it? Dad lost all of his over the years, unfortunately.

Old December 29, 2021, 10:13 AM   #10
Rob228

One 5 round flush fitting magazine. One aperture that looks really small, having a hard time seeing through it if there's no lighting behind the target. The push button to remove the sight is a really handy feature, thought I was going to have to take the whole assembly off to remove the bolt before seeing that. I can't hit the range for another week or so but I'll definitely put up a range report.
Old December 29, 2021, 12:02 PM   #11
10-96

I thought i had a 521T, but it turns out to be a 513T. Anybody know what the difference is?

My thoughts on the barrel/stock contact near the front of the forearm- Both my 513 and 541 are like that, and I've seen others like that as well. I believe that was done at the factory on purpose. Once was the time that folks played with various contact or pressure points. Jim Finley of the Running Target shooting circles said they used to install adjusting screws in that area of the stock at the 4, 6, and/or 8 o'clock positions to try to find the sweet spot of pressure. I don't know if bedding was not a thought at that time, or if the fact that many of those rimfire rifles only had one mounting screw (action-to-stock) that seemed to create the perceived need for an additional contact point. My ex-father-in-law and our old 4-H club shooting Coach were big on the idea of setting their action screws to a set torque value before shoots and loosening them up upon the completion of the matches. I suppose they weren't the only ones to practice this as I've seen a number of old match/target rifles with action screws that have apparently seen a lot of use in comparison to other bolts, screws, and things on the rifles.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old December 31, 2021, 12:12 PM   #12
az_imuth

First of all, congrats on a what I consider a great rifle! I collect vintage Winchesters mostly, but couldn't pass this one up. I have a Winchester Junior Target Shooter Special that was made in approximately the same time frame. Both are very similar in their configurations.

The 521T I have was purchased several years ago. It is near mint and has the original sling attached. It dates to 1947 and has the "Junior Special" rollmark on the barrel. I think the code is PSS, or something like that. It is an excellent shooter from the bench or offhand. I have to get pretty low on the stock to see through the sights, but then it is dead on at 50 yds. Have lots of pics if you need to see anything in particular to compare the two.
Best of luck in your new purchase! Here is an ad that someone shared with me when I researched mine.
Old January 1, 2022, 11:44 AM   #13
Drm50

I’ve owned several Rem 521Ts. They are good rifles and in my opinion as good or better than 541. Also weight makes it practical squirrel gun. All the older 500 series Rems were good accurate 22s. And I have never been a Rem cheerleader, came from Winchester people.
Old January 6, 2022, 03:44 PM   #14
Rob228

Well, first range day and it was great. Pics are of the range itself, RWS ammo at 25 yards and assorted at 50. My eyes were the weakness, could barely see the targets. Rifle shoots great, absolutely no complaints. I did bottom out the sights, had to use a 6 O'clock hold to hit center at both 25 and 50.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image0.jpeg (466.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpeg image1.jpeg (464.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpeg image2.jpeg (618.3 KB, 19 views)