The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 17, 2017, 04:50 PM   #1
RobertSB701

IWB Holster Question

I'm looking at purchasing an IWB w/ a leather/synthetic backing. My concerns how these holsters deal with a sweaty body on 96 degree days. I tried IWB holster without backing and was a bit uncomfortable. I tried and simply can not wear an undershirt under t-shirt, TOO HOT! So on to my dilemma. Doesn't the leather/synthetic backing soak up sweat making it a wet, stinky mess???
Glock 21SF | FNH FNP-45 | S&W 686 | Taurus PT1911SS | CZ75 SP01 Tactical 9mm | Buck Mark Stainless Camper | Ruger LCP | Springfield Armory TRP | Springfield Armory XDS-9 | Springfield Armory XDM Compact 9MM | S&W M&P15X | Ruger Mini-14 | Mossberg 500 20ga
Old September 17, 2017, 06:00 PM   #2
Grizz12

look into stealthgear.com holsters, I like mine
Old September 17, 2017, 06:34 PM   #3
mulespurs

Maybe try this

My only experience is that I have a Crossbreed super tuck deluxe. I got the horsehide option, they claimed that the horsehide was better in the heat I think. I haven't noticed it seeming hot to me.
I felt that the equine community owed me one anyway from a bad buckoff 30 years ago. Somebody has to use that horsehide anyway.
Old September 17, 2017, 07:04 PM   #4
Kwik2010

I've had an Alien Gear for quite a while. I prefer the leather back to the other backing they offer. I've never had a problem with them. Before I tried one I always carried in a Galco stowngo but after trying the Alien Gear, I'll probably never go back. I've never had a more comfortable holster personally. Especially in the heat.

Edit : Realized I stopped before answering your question. I usually have a thin tank top underneath my clithes and have never had any sweat build up in the holster and stink. They also sit out over night with no firearm in them.

Last edited by Kwik2010; September 17, 2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old September 17, 2017, 07:42 PM   #5
Crankylove

I carry IWB year round in a bianchi leather holster.

Winter isn't an issue as far as sweating goes, and I'm usually wearing a tee shirt under a hoody or button up shirt anyway.

Summer carry, I try and do a tucked t shirt under a light weight, short sleeved button up, usually unbuttoned, if the heat isn't too bad. Some days it's just a t shirt, no layer between holster and sweaty back.

Either way, during the summer, I make sure and empty the holster each night to dry, and wipe the pistol down every couple days to help keep corrosion away. Been carrying that way for 10 years with no issues.
Old September 17, 2017, 07:59 PM   #6
Cyanide971

Just my .02 worth as a Floridian who carries IWB exclusively, a tank top underneath your main shirt works wonders to help maintain comfort and prevent your holster from getting saturated.
Old September 17, 2017, 10:57 PM   #7
TheGunGeek

Wipe the holster down daily with a slightly damp microfiber towel after removal if exposing it to sweat. Clean the outside with saddle soap periodically, and that's all you should have to do.

Craftholsters has a how to section for holster care on their blog here:
https://www.craftholsters.com/blog-s1?page=2&start=1
Old September 18, 2017, 06:28 AM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

IWB is my favorite way to carry. I have a Theis horsehide, CBST horsehide, and Stealthgear Revolution Mini IWB. I just got the SG a few weeks ago, so I'm still figuring out what that one does or does not do well. That said, I like mine very much so far.

As for the Theis and the CBST, I've used them for years and no, they do not soak up a bunch of sweat. Personally, I prefer to have a shirt of some kind between me and the holster, but it sounds like your wardrobe is a bit different from mine. Mind you, I work in an office environment and do not usually use them for yard work or really sweaty things, but I have done so from time to time without any problems. As others said, just clean it with saddle soap from time to time.
Old September 18, 2017, 06:58 AM   #9
Screwball

I agree with Spats McGee, look for one with a backing option for horsehide over cowhide. It will be a few dollars more, but worth it.

For IWB, White Hat is a very good option. Definitely going to want to take the holster apart and condition the leather (to soften it), but very happy with the J-frame one I got (one of the few companies that does one with the LaserMax weapon light). So happy that I bought one for my LCP and one for my Glock 30S with TLR-3. They usually have a discount code for savings, but if something goes wrong, they stand behind their product.

Other than that, I also have a SHTF holster. Their's came conditioned, so pretty much put the holster on and carry. I have a Crossbreed Last Ditch for my LCP (Velcros on a vest), but not really interested in their IWB holsters. They don't give me options for different gun setups I have, but I also don't like the clips with crosses on them. Sorry, but when I carry, I don't want to walk around like I'm rehearsing for Boondock Saints 3.
Old September 18, 2017, 08:23 AM   #10
Nathan

Quote:
Doesn't the leather/synthetic backing soak up sweat making it a wet, stinky mess???
No, the gun rubs a hole in you. Get some non-ribbed, super thin tank tops.
Old September 23, 2017, 06:40 PM   #11
RobertSB701

Sounds like I have several good options. Thanks much!
Glock 21SF | FNH FNP-45 | S&W 686 | Taurus PT1911SS | CZ75 SP01 Tactical 9mm | Buck Mark Stainless Camper | Ruger LCP | Springfield Armory TRP | Springfield Armory XDS-9 | Springfield Armory XDM Compact 9MM | S&W M&P15X | Ruger Mini-14 | Mossberg 500 20ga
Old September 29, 2017, 04:36 PM   #12
BillG174

I have two Nate Squared (N82) Tactical Professional IWB tuckable holsters, www.n82tactical.com. One is for my Glock 17 Gen 4 and the other one is for my Glock 30 Gen 4. N82 sells several types of holsters but I like their Professional model best. It is a single clip holster that I wear at 9 to 9:30 as I am left handed. Some people don’t like a single clip because they say the holster moves around. Mine settles into my left hip and doesn’t move around at all. It is all day wearing comfort.

N82 also sells a Tandem model that has two clips. A single clip holster is much easier and faster to put on and take off plus the backing is larger than the Professional to accommodate the two clips.

The Professional and Tandem have 3 layers of material. A very soft suede backing that sits against your body inside your belt, then a rubber neoprene layer to block moisture from reaching the gun and the soft leather on the outside of the holster that the gun sits next to. No part of the gun ever touches your body. I always wear a T-shirt under my outer shirt. The gun slides into a poly carbonate which has retention and trigger guard protection.

N82 has a lifetime guarantee and a 30 day trial. Their products and customer service is absolutely superior.

While talking about holsters, it is very important to have a good gun belt to hold and support the weight of the holster and gun. You shouldn’t use a “department store” belt as it is not thick enough or rigid enough. I highly recommend a Bigfoot gunbelt www.gunbelts.com. I have a 18 ounce belt with a stainless steel core between the two layers of English bridle leather. Their quality and customer service is also superior and they have a trial period too.

Freedom Is Not Free
SAF, GOA, Kansas State Rifle Association