The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 28, 2000, 11:23 AM   #1
Steve Smith

I'm trying to get a shooting friend interested in reloading...or rather, he's interested, but has no direction. He does not anticipate reloading enough to buy a progressive press, but the slow progress of the single stage does not appeal to him. He is an incredibly smart guy, and shouldn't have a "safety" problem with skipping the single stage. I've recommended a turret press...what do you guys think about this? Further recommendations?
Old November 28, 2000, 01:38 PM   #2
sundog

Steve, I have two Lee turret presses. I use them for loading pistol cartidges and they work just fine. Not really a true progressive, I guess, but a lot faster than a single stage. Turns out a good round with three pulls. sundog
Old November 28, 2000, 03:27 PM   #3
jtduncan

Lyman T-Mags or Spar-Ts can be had at a gun show for $20 used.

Mine is 40 years old and works like a champ. Still use it.
I too thought I wouldn't need a Dillon 550. But when you can make 400 rounds an hour compared to 120 rounds an hour on a turret, the time factor should be considered.

I just keep buying and filling up ammo cans with 9mm and .45 ACP ammo.

It's kind of funny how ammo keeps for decades. I'm currently shooting some WWII .32 ACP surplus ammo in my Kel Tec P-32. If it's sealed in an ammo can, it should be able to get me into my 80s.

I'd get the progressive and shoot more to reload more.
Old November 28, 2000, 04:05 PM   #4
Bogie

A Lee turret is great for handgun ammo, or fodder for a blaster rifle... I load .45, .38 Special and .223 with mine.

But if he's looking for "accurate" rifle rounds, he's going to have to realize that they take time to craft.

Old November 28, 2000, 04:55 PM   #5
Steve Smith

I don't think he's looking at match quality stuff. However, I think acceptable "hunting accuracy" rounds could be produced in any type of press, right? I don't see why not. He's just looking for a way to produce his own ammo if sources are eliminated, due to high tax, lead concerns, or outright "gun control via ammo strangulation." We work in a three man office, and two of us now own Dillon 550B's. He knows it's faster, but he's not a "shooter" like we are. It definately seems like the turret will be much faster than the single stage, and I don't think he has enough intrest in doing more than that. More responses are welcome.
Old November 28, 2000, 10:24 PM   #6
Turk

Steve,

You should have your friend go to the following web site
http://www.redding-reloading.com/ and check out the Redding Turret Press. I've used one for years it's heavier than a Lyman turret. Concerning accuracy using a turret press. I'm not a benchrest shooter whose goal is to shoot one hole groups but my Redding Turret gives me ammo that will shoot 3/4" to 1" groups from 100 yards in 223, 243, 308 & 3006.

A turret is more convienent than a single stage press.

Turk

Old November 28, 2000, 10:55 PM   #7
jim-alex

Steve:

When I began reloading it was with a Lee Turret. Absolutely no problem starting there. Within a couple of hundred rounds, you sort of go on "auto-pilot" and can generate 150
quality rounds per hour. I have loaded 1,000's of rounds with the turret and now also use a Lee Pro-1000. Even if down the road your friend decides he needs more output and goes with a progressive, the turret will still be handy to have around. Best Regards, Jim
Old November 29, 2000, 12:24 AM   #8
Steve Smith

Thanks, guys.
Old November 29, 2000, 08:39 PM   #9
Kenneth L. Walters

Turret Presses

There are two excellent ones, the Lyman and the RCBS. I've got 50 spare tool heads for my Lyman all of which are in use. The only reason I bought an RCBS was because the price for spare Lyman tool heads has gone way up so now the RCBS is just the better buy. Both are excellent particularly if you make small batches of a large number of cartridges.