The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 27, 2011, 12:51 AM   #1
viciouskitty

Should holster for smith 586 4"

Hey guys I'm in the market for a good quality leather shoulder holster mad for my new revolver. I want a horizontal holster not really sure why I guess I just like the look of them more than the vertical. After searching the net I haven't had much luck finding many for a reasonable price. My price range is around 150 dollars I heard of these holsters called maybe akins holsters? but I cant seem to find them online any help or other suggestions would be great.
Old July 27, 2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Don P

Spell check works wonders.
Here are links, http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.as...=2928&GunID=90
http://www.gunnersalley.com/category...ulderholsters/
http://www.kramerleather.com/product...=586%2F686%204
http://www.epsaddlery.com/c-23-shoulder-holsters.aspx
http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...hp?numSubCat=5
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 27, 2011, 02:11 PM   #3
viciouskitty

Thanks man!
Old July 27, 2011, 03:20 PM   #4
twobit

A word about shoulder holsters.....

A horizontal shoulder holster will cause the gun to be subject to the high perspiration zone of the under-arm area if you are carrying over a shirt but under a coat. I believe a 586 is blued, and this salty perspiration would not be good for it. In 25 years as a LEO I have only had one shoulder holster, a Safariland, for a Beretta 92FS. Under the other arm was the double mag pouch and the cuff case. Mine (made from that Safariland laminate) finally cracked after about 12 years although it was not a cheap holster to buy. Shoulder holsters can beat your ribs to death if you have to walk a lot, and are downright painful if you run. The best place to NOT feel the weight of a gun after wearing one for 8-10 hours, is on your hip with a good belt and a good pancake holster. Shoulder holsters look "cool" but many people don't like them after awhile. I rarely wore mine. In the hot Texas summer that lasts about 10 months of the year, there was rarely a time I could stand to wear a coat all day. Shoulder holsters do print if you are not careful. The only thing similar to a shoulder holster I have today is a load bearing vest with a cross draw chest holster......Galls.com has many types of holsters, including shoulder holsters.
Old July 30, 2011, 02:10 PM   #5
viciouskitty

Thanks twobit you are making me come to my senses a bit, the looks are whats drawing me to the holster. I do plan to do brush clearing maintaining roads and hunting while at the same time being armed maybe i will look at different options.
Old July 30, 2011, 07:53 PM   #6
twobit

for those activities I would recommend www.simplyrugged.com holsters. They even have a pancake with a top flap to protect the grips. I have one of their pancakes for my Uberti SAA 45LC.
Old July 31, 2011, 02:25 AM   #7
ClydeFrog

Aker comfort flex, Galco Miami Classic, Bianchi...

For about $150.00 USD, I'd look into a brown leather Aker Comfort Flex shoulder rig or maybe a holster from Alessi, Galco, Ted Blocker, Lawman Leathergoods(the black treated STU, not the "Dirty Harry"), Mitch Rosen, Don Hume, Bianchi, DeSantis or Kirkpatrick Leather.
I used a black leather Aker shoulder rig for my concealed 96D .40 semi auto in the 1990s. See Aker's main product website or go here; www.Deltaforce.com .
If you are right handed & want a decent shoulder holster for a L frame 586 4" barrel, you have many good choices.

ClydeFrog