The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 7, 2010, 08:19 AM   #26
Bartholomew Roberts

CDNN is currently selling a S&W MP15 ORC with 18 magazines for $699. The catch is you have to buy another firearm in order to get that deal; but there are definitely good deals to be had on ARs right now.
Old May 7, 2010, 08:57 AM   #27
mukibetser

Buds sells the post-ban Colt match for $1100. That is about the same price as the Stag 2TL or 8L (gas piston) and $175 less than S&W M&P15T (the one with the foreward rail and troy sights). I'm in NJ and need a "compliant" model and also shoot lefty. Debating which one to get

Colt advantage -- I've generally heard that quality is better than Stag or S&W (testing of components, 1:7 twist, M4 feedramps). But, doesn't have the forward rail (which I don't "need" but would like to have to install some toys).

Stag advantage -- built for lefties; can get a gas-piston version, has rails and flip up sights; disadvantage -- not as good a build as Colt

S&W advantage -- possible better quality than Stag (??) and comes with rails and troy sights.

Which would you choose?

I keep hearing people say if you want a "range toy" or plinker, Stage, Bushy, etc is fine, but if you want a self-defense/fighting gun, get a Colt or better (LMT, Noveske). Why is that?? I'm not in the military or LEO, but do want a rifle available for home defense in a "Katrina" type scenario. Won't the Stag suffice for that?
Old May 7, 2010, 10:24 AM   #28
srkavanagh6621

Local gun shop has some DPMS ones for 675 i think! the website is www.onlinegundeals.com I would say that it looks a little cheaper but im sure it would be reliable!