The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 14, 2008, 01:11 PM   #1
wpcexpert

Once Fired .223 brass

Hey guys, don't know who else out there is having the hardest time finding .223 brass. It took me forever. But this guy, http://www.brassmanbrass.com/inventory-001.html , has got some. He has piles of LC brass, (they are in Navada). But I just ordered 2,000 cases of once fired Win brass for 200.00, (10 cents per case). Just thought I'd let yall know.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old April 14, 2008, 03:34 PM   #2
farnorthdan

LC brass is good but.....

I pick up tons of LC .223 brass at the range I go to and its good stuff with one exception.........its crimped and you either have to swage or ream. I go with the reaming myself and its a little bit of a hassle if you only have to do maybe a hundred or so. I wouldn't want to have to ream 2K though.

Accuracy is king,penatration is queen but why not jack'em in the process if you can.
Old April 14, 2008, 06:48 PM   #3
DIXIEDOG

GI Brass is another great supplier of once fired LC brass

http://www.gibrass.com
Old April 14, 2008, 11:52 PM   #4
TexasSeaRay

Quote:
Hey guys, don't know who else out there is having the hardest time finding .223 brass.
Hell, I picked up over 200 empties today, not including my own, that were just laying on the ground.

My problem is that on the handgun side, 40S&W is more plentiful than fire ants--and about as big a pain in the butt.

Of course, I don't own a 40, will never own a 40, and thus, will never reload for a 40. But I have this huge bucket FULL of the damn stuff.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old April 15, 2008, 12:08 AM   #5
DIXIEDOG

Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys, don't know who else out there is having the hardest time finding .223 brass.
Hell, I picked up over 200 empties today, not including my own, that were just laying on the ground.

My problem is that on the handgun side, 40S&W is more plentiful than fire ants--and about as big a pain in the butt.

Of course, I don't own a 40, will never own a 40, and thus, will never reload for a 40. But I have this huge bucket FULL of the damn stuff.

Jeff
Enjoy it while you can. A few years ago my local range was the same then people figured out even if they don't reload brass is worth money. Now the only casings you find is Wolf steels cased crap.
Old April 15, 2008, 12:12 AM   #6
totalloser

OUCH! Last time I bought brass, it was 4.5 cents a shell! And I thought I paid a penny too much! www.cheyennebrass.com but last I checked they are out. What gives? Is the military reloading their stuff???
Old April 15, 2008, 12:52 AM   #7
DIXIEDOG

Quote:
What gives? Is the military reloading their stuff???
I believe it is brass hoarders, the military sells off their recover brass they don't reload it. Many reloaders have more brass than one could use in several lifetimes, nothing wrong with that I'm just jealous There are also alot more shooters getting into reloading recently, brass prices scrap prices are also higher due to worldwide demand so many people sell brass for scrap rather than bother shipping 1000 pc lots all over and they make just as much with less hassle.
Old April 15, 2008, 01:21 AM   #8
wpcexpert

I talked to the guy, the $200 includes the crimp removal. But I bought the Winchester brass. But I'll give an update when they arrive.

I don't get the chance to get down to the local ranges like I wish I could. That would be much easier on the pocket.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old April 16, 2008, 08:35 AM   #9
jmorris

The brass whores are out there but they will be out of a job once I get my chickens properly trained.
Old April 16, 2008, 12:33 PM   #10
snuffy

5.56mm NATO Military Once-Fired, All LC headstamp, mostly M16 fired with
(223) some SAWS mixed it. Overall, nice serviceable brass.
Add $15/M to polish and process primer pocket. Note that
this processing does not size nor trim.
Ttl Qty: 100 1M 5M 10M 25M
$ Cost: 8 60 58/M 57/M 56/M

I just ordered 1M of this brass for the above stated $60.00. That's from www.gibrass.com, I've dealt with Jeff Bartlet before for surplus bulk gunpowder. He's a good guy to deal with. Notice that to polish AND remove the primer crimp would only raise the total cost to $75.00/1000.

I'll keep an eye on that brass IF some of it has been shot in a SAW, it may be a bit big in the base. I said often times I would never buy a small base die! I may need one now!!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 17, 2008, 08:09 AM   #11
dodge

I just received my order from www.scharch.com. Fully process ready to load LC. I'm very pleased with this and will order from them again. For 1k it was $101 with shipping and they have other deals. They also have primed brass for extra but there is a 2-3 week waiting period. This company is out of CO and I had it at my doorstep in a week.
Old April 17, 2008, 11:49 AM   #12
gandog56

If you have an excess of some other caliber brass laying around, look up www.ammobrasstrader.com. You can usually find some of whatever you need around.