The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 11, 1999, 05:13 PM   #1
mattfra

I'm toying with the idea of selling my complete upper assembly off my 1911A1 Govt Sprinfield Armory. I would like to build a clone of Les Baers Concept I pistol. I would use all his parts for my receiver and his slide, sights, barrel and all Baer slide parts.

My Springfield slide has Ed Brown carry rear sight, dovetail front sight (3 dot), factory barrel, factory extractor, firing pin and spring, lowered and flared ejection port all finished in Semi-GlossMoly Resin (spray and bake finish) I might even throw in a McCormick solid SS guide rod. Value on this anyone? Thanks!
Old October 12, 1999, 10:19 PM   #2
Wallew

According to Volume #21 of Gun Parts, a COLT 1911A1 slide with all parts sells for about $175 - $220. But you have to have a buyer. Which means you may end up either NOT selling it at all, or for a reduced price. My guess is that if you set it on a table at a gun show with a price in $100 - $150 range, you MIGHT get someone to buy it. On the other hand, you might not.
Old October 13, 1999, 12:12 AM   #3
zot

why sell it? you might buy a nice old frame
cheap and presto ya got a slide to put on,
I don't really understand what your going to gain buying Baer's parts, your gun has all
the best allready installed, plus its Springfield Armory? but thats me and good luck on you project.:}
Old October 13, 1999, 08:31 PM   #4
mattfra

Thanks for the comments...The more I think about it I may keep my slide and related parts and buy a new barrel. I have heard (you know how that goes...) that the Springfield 2 piece barrels are not very accurate. Comments on that? Durability also? I've probably put about 2000 rounds through the stock barrel and it seems accurate enough to me at my normal shooting distances of 25-50 feet. Time and money will tell.
Old October 13, 1999, 09:57 PM   #5
zot

if you don't like Springfield barrels put a
colt barrel in, or ask George about GPC 1911
seconds barrels, their just milled out of spec a few k, what I'd really like to get for my gun is a GPC barrel with the inside of barrel chromed. sounds slick for lead loads, and would be easy cleaning. :}