The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 26, 2005, 09:01 PM   #1
Big Yac

I finally got it!!

yup, lastnight I picked up my Rockchucker. I got the kit that includes the scale, loading blocks and such. I'm excited, I'm about to enter the world of metallic reloading
Old June 26, 2005, 09:11 PM   #2
CaptainRazor

You have made a wise purchase, the RockChucker will last your lifetime, and probably your children's lifetime as well.

Let me be the first to congratulate you, and welcome you to the world of reloading!

If you have any problems....we'll all be here for ya!
Old June 26, 2005, 09:26 PM   #3
kkb

Congrats and welcome to the fold, ...er, load.

In no time at all you'll be obsessive about minutiae.
Old June 27, 2005, 12:25 AM   #4
BigSlick

Coooool

Another one enters the mix.

I have a Rock Chucker too. It will definitely outlast you. The one thing you will find a PITA is the primer catch, or primer miss as it were. It's an easy thing to make a mod to fix though.

RCBS has a pretty good track record, and their warranty is outstanding. If you break something (doubtful) they will replace it in a flash. In my experience it has always been at no charge.

The scale included with the kit is as good as any available today, and much better than many.

Be sure to mount the thing to something solid, the Rock Chucker can really put a lot of stress on a bench top. Lot's of people mount it to a 2x12 and clamp the 2x12 down. It works like a champ and gives you the added benefit of being able to move the press if you need to. Just make sure you use the bigger c-clamp if you do it this way. Otherwise, bolt it down solid and go.

I still remember the thrill of sending my first reloads downrange. Those who have never experienced it, can't begin to understand the satisfaction it brings.

A Rock Chucker kit isn't exactly pocket change to most of us, but after you send the first few downrange, you will realize every penny was well spent. You probably won't shoot factory ammo anymore unless it is insanely cheap.

Keep us posted on your progress

BigSlick
Nobody likes war, but if you find yourself in one - fight for those you serve with and to make the trip home. Show mercy to those that deserve it and a relentless, ruthless, cunning evil to those who don't.
Old June 27, 2005, 06:45 AM   #5
LAH

That's a good press. Mine's 30 years old. No problems. The little green primer catcher seldom drops one. One thing that amazes me is the primer seater has never broke and it's used lots.
Old June 27, 2005, 04:52 PM   #6
CaptainRazor

RC primer catch tray

My press is about 10 years old, it came with one of the plastic trays.

I've noticed that it catches most of them, however, I find that when I go to empty it, that usually results in several spent primers falling to the floor.
Old June 27, 2005, 10:47 PM   #7
Smokey Joe

Welcome!

Big Yak--Welcome to The Magnificient Obsession!

Congrats on getting a fine pc. of equip. in the Rockchucker. You will use it all your life, and your heirs will fight over it.

We will, of course, need a report on the results when you get some ammo loaded!

--Smokey Joe
Old June 28, 2005, 12:01 AM   #8
kgpcr

A Rockchucker will not outlast you or your kids!!! It will outlast your grandchildren if you take care of it. They are the best single stage built based on price, quality and long lasting. you have made a great choice!!
Old June 28, 2005, 09:44 PM   #9
Big Yac

I didnt have time to look for .454 Casull dies when I got the reloader because when I walked into the shop I heard them announce they only had 5 more minutes before closing. I'm gonna pick up some dies this weekend and I"ll be set. I cant wait.
Old June 28, 2005, 11:54 PM   #10
Smokey Joe

Before you start...

Big Yak--You're anxious to begin plunking out those beautiful rounds of ammo, I know. Before you begin, if you haven't done so, may I urge you to STUDY UP.

Reloading is essentially simple--but (and this is a BIG but) you can hurt yourself and innocent bystanders, not to mention ruining a nice firearm, if you don't follow an established recipie, and established procedures.
And I mean established by PhD's in white coats with pressure guns and test labs to do it in, not by any old bozo (me for example) on the I'net.

After all, inside a firearm we are dealing with some fiendishly hot gases, and terrific pressures. Proving that the experts really were right, that a certain charge of powder is excessive, is something you do NOT want to do.

Now forgive me if you already have these and are familiar with their contents, but if not, may I heartily reccommend The ABC's of Reloading published by Krause www.krause.com and Lyman's 48th edition Reloading Manual www.lymanproducts.com as good places to start. Both are available at most gun shows, your local store, on the web, or from the publisher.

The ABC's is basically a how-to book that explains each step of the reloading process, in great detail, including what not to do. Lyman's 48th is a book of recipies for making loads for almost any cartridge you could name. Between the 2 a beginner can learn in short order to produce fine ammo.

If you're not a beginner, again, please forgive me for mentioning it. And enjoy your Rockchucker in any case!

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; June 28, 2005 at 11:56 PM. Reason: the usual--had another thought.
Old June 29, 2005, 04:03 PM   #11
Big Yac

I've been reloading shotgun ammo for years now. This is just my first time getting into metallic reloading. I have several reloading books and I always stick to the published data. Being an engineer I'm also very thourough and organized and dont mind taking my time to get something right so I should be just fine. Thank you though
Old June 30, 2005, 07:30 AM   #12
LAH

Sounds like you'll do fine.
Old July 3, 2005, 11:45 PM   #13
PDshooter

Good deal! I've had mine now 18yrs!......It may be alittle slow when it comes to "High volume" cal, but it gets the job done. I'll start with say, 45ACP, then go to 30-06, then .223 ,38spl. Or neck down some 06 brass to 25-06.
Enjoy
Shoot Shovel Shut-up!
Old July 4, 2005, 12:02 AM   #14
Leftoverdj

Big Yac, the Rockchucker may be the closest you will ever see reloaders coming to total agreement. Even the folks who move up to progressives usually hang on to the Rockchucker for odd and heavy jobs. Only other tool that I can think of that is as universally accepted is the Lee Auto Prime.
Old July 4, 2005, 12:47 AM   #15
BigSlick

Quote:
the Rockchucker may be the closest you will ever see reloaders coming to total agreement
Ain't that the truth.

I have a friend who just turned 71, who has been handloading since the 60's. He bought a Rock Chucker sometime in the early 70's (if his memory is right) and to this day still uses it for loads for everything he shoots from the Garand to 1911 to 30-30.

When the subject of presses comes up, or we are in Cabelas or a shop checking out the new presses etc.. he starts a diatribe about how the Rock Chucker is the greatest press ever invented... yada yada yada...

I have yet to find anyone who thinks the RC is not one of, or THE outright best ever made.

Ya did good Yac

Now give us a field report

BigSlick
Nobody likes war, but if you find yourself in one - fight for those you serve with and to make the trip home. Show mercy to those that deserve it and a relentless, ruthless, cunning evil to those who don't.
Old July 4, 2005, 12:44 PM   #16
Big Yac

well I still havent loaded anything yet, havent even gotten the loader set up. After getting this I decided I needed a new bench. So I built one, its 8'X3'. Will give me plenty of room since I will also have 2 shotgun reloaders on it. Then I looked at the cement block walls of the basement reloading room and decided theyd look better in white, so I painted it and finished on Saturday. Finally today I'll be moving everything back to where it was, putting my new reloading bench into place and attaching all the reloaders. All this because I decided I wanted to start reloading rifle and handgun ammo
Old July 4, 2005, 06:11 PM   #17
drvector

Rock Chucker kit or the Redding Big Boss

Congrads on the Rockchucker Kit Big Yac. I’m looking to get a press and associated reloading stuff too and I’m hung up between the Rock Chucker kit or the Redding Big Boss. In any event, where did you purchase your kit and what lead you to the RC versus some the others out there. I've heard others on this site talk about the "top dead center" feature of the Big Boss. But from my uneducated perspective it would seem that both presses operate in the same manner.

If you wouldn't mind though, keep us posted regarding how it's working out for you.
Old July 9, 2005, 11:46 PM   #18
Big Yac

well I got my Rockchucker at Gander Mt in Canton, Ohio for like $249. I decided on the Rockchucker just from what people have told me, that they last forever and turn out a very good quality reload(I like the green color too). By the way, I finally got my new bench done and pulled the Rockchucker out of the box for the first time tonight. I am surprised how heavy the press alone is. You could throw the thing on the freeway and leave it there for a week before picking it up and reloading another several thousand rounds from it. I cant see much of anything hurting it