The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 27, 2017, 09:13 PM   #101
bac1023

It doesn't matter. There are a ton of older used 41's on the market. I've got a couple myself. The older models are much nicer anyway.
Old September 27, 2017, 09:23 PM   #102
rshaw

My 41. was built in 1980- 5.5 inch barrel, very accurate. Here the new ones go for $2000!!

I'm very curious about these 2 Sig's for sale here. After seeing all the photos in this thread (thank you bac!) and researching them.... and knowing they don't show up too often.

Last edited by rshaw; September 28, 2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old October 3, 2017, 09:00 AM   #103
rshaw

Hi All,
Back to the title of this thread... the 1975 Luger Mauser bullbarrel...
Well.... I had a chance to see this gun! I have to admit- it's a beautiful firearm! I rather like the bullbarrel... the real thing is different from the photos. The sights are VERY nice. The heavy barrel balances the weapon well- and gives it a very solid feel. I can imagine the recoil would be dampened significantly by that barrel.

Looking at the photos below, you can see a deep scratch in front of the sideplate. This went clear through the finish to the bare metal below. The scratches on the side of the forward toggle joint (just behind the extractor) were also deep; there were more points of wear on the top left side of that same joint which were not apparent from the photos. (finish removed exposing bright metal.) The engraving "Original Mauser" on top of the breech had no white paint as does the gun in the photos on the website:
https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/...abellum.26696/

Having seen other Lugers, as well as my own, which have of course been shot in the past, such wear on the top and side of the joint just behind the extractor is completely absent. Makes me wonder again how those scratches got there.

The shop would not allow me to do a simple field strip, not even to simply remove the side plate to see the surface underneath. They said the owner would be willing to "adjust his price a little" from the asking figure of Eu 3.250.

I am really looking for a target gun to shoot. Good sights, and accuracy are my focus. Of course I am open for a collector grade gun, but this bullbarrel, as rare and beautiful as it is, is not a collector but rather a shooter. Even if he drops his price to Eu 2500 (the suggested max), it is ALOT to pay for a shooter with questionable wear.

So I think I will reply and pass. Really too bad....
Thanks for all the input!

I'm concentrating on that Sig P210-6.... I'll see it in just under three weeks.....

Cheers,
RShaw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot (236).jpg (204.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot (237).jpg (171.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot (238).jpg (195.5 KB, 15 views)
Old October 3, 2017, 09:40 AM   #104
Jim Watson

The scrape in front of the side plate looks like the sear lever or an irregularity on the sideplate itself is dragging on the upper receiver as it recoils.

When I posted on another thread that I had admired one of these but could not buy it, I got a reply that I was lucky to not have been able to purchase it.

Think SIG for a shooter.
Old October 3, 2017, 09:43 PM   #105
jackstrawIII

CZ SP01.
CZ 75 Compact.
Old October 3, 2017, 11:59 PM   #106
rshaw

Hi Jim,
Many Thanks for your feedback!
Yes, that sideplate scratch is deep and looks like it was not made in 1 stroke.
Did the person who answered on your other thread say why you were fortunate to
be unable to purchase it?

Thanks Jackstraw- I have come across these 2 CZ models already several times in my search. I'll take a new look
Old October 4, 2017, 03:01 AM   #107
Kilrb

I just bought CZ SP01 I liked this one over everything I looked at. Will be sending to CGW
Old October 4, 2017, 03:07 AM   #108
rshaw

Hi Kilrb,
Thanks! How are the sights? And balance?
Old October 4, 2017, 12:37 PM   #109
rshaw

Hi All,

Went on a visit to a local LGS I know just up the road (I've bought ammo from them), and said, " I'm looking for a target pistol, accurate, with good sights..." He said, "I have a Sig for you." (This was a surprise, it wasn't on their internet site). Turns out it came in on consignment a week ago. So I asked him to put my name on it as a reserved item. Seems this one is also a "heavy frame." (Normally the words "Heavy Frame" are on the rear part of the frame?) Here are photos below:
Sig P210-5

Only one real question, has the extended barrel version shown improved accuracy over the other variants? Have not found any information on this question....
The gun looks well used, but in basically good shape. Heavy and well balanced. Sights look good!
What do you think?
Price is Eu 1200 = USD 1400.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0740 OKsm.jpg (99.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0741 OKsm.jpg (92.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0738 OKsm.jpg (86.3 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by rshaw; October 4, 2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old October 4, 2017, 01:20 PM   #110
Jim Watson

The only difference I know of between a -5 and a -6 is the extended barrel and collar for the front sight. So whatever gain in accuracy is from a longer sight radius and a little more forward weight. I expect the mechanical accuracy to be the same.
It makes the takedown more complicated, the kit should come with a tool to take off the front sight. Which I would not do very often, you can get the worst of the soot out without taking it apart that much.

You need bac to comment on the desirability of that vintage and the significance of the wear on the slide rails.
Old October 4, 2017, 01:33 PM   #111
rshaw

Thank you Jim.
All the feedback I have had indicates that the entire Sig P210 lineup is of superior quality and very good accuracy. The front sight needs to come off to remove the barrel from the slide I would think. I'll check for the kit / tool tomorrow.

Comments from Bac:
"The -5 and -6 have a lighter and crisper trigger than the standard P210"
"The Sig P210 is, in my opinion, the finest pistol ever made. I speak of the forged -5 and -6 target models from the 1960's and 1970's when I say this."

Sig P210's don't show up here very often at all- if they do, they are gone quickly
SN of this one is P 304954- Would be nice to know when it was built.

Last edited by rshaw; October 4, 2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old October 4, 2017, 03:22 PM   #112
rock185

Hello rshaw, I agree that -5 looks well used. But I know I could not buy that pistol here in the sates for anything like $1400.00. More like double that.

As to serial numbers corresponding to when built, I have to admit I'm lost on that one. I've seen higher serial numbers with much earlier test target dates, and vice versa.....
Old October 4, 2017, 03:37 PM   #113
rshaw

Hi Rock,
Yes, I have seen US prices... they're mich higher than those here! On the one hand, this gun is well used, but then again, they were built to last... and the LGS has told me if there are any problems, to contact them.

That's one plus point over the private seller's p210-6 mentioned earlier in this thread. His price is very close... but I haven't seen his gun yet. (22 oct is my chance). I'll go back to the local LGS here and ask more questions. Thanks.
Old October 4, 2017, 04:35 PM   #114
Rinspeed

Well used or not the 210 will last longer than just about any modern 9mm made. They can look well used and still shoot great for another 120,000 rounds. People who worry about wearing out any modern pistol don't shoot enough to even barely break one in.
Old October 4, 2017, 07:11 PM   #115
Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshaw View Post
Wow!
WOW x 2!!!
Old October 4, 2017, 08:02 PM   #116
Kilrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshaw View Post
Hi Kilrb,
Thanks! How are the sights? And balance?
Balance I like, sights I will switch to Dawson Precision from CGW, I switched to Dawson's on another pistol I have and really like them
Old October 4, 2017, 09:51 PM   #117
bac1023

Quote:
Hi All,

Went on a visit to a local LGS I know just up the road (I've bought ammo from them), and said, " I'm looking for a target pistol, accurate, with good sights..." He said, "I have a Sig for you." (This was a surprise, it wasn't on their internet site). Turns out it came in on consignment a week ago. So I asked him to put my name on it as a reserved item. Seems this one is also a "heavy frame." (Normally the words "Heavy Frame" are on the rear part of the frame?) Here are photos below:
Sig P210-5

Only one real question, has the extended barrel version shown improved accuracy over the other variants? Have not found any information on this question....
The gun looks well used, but in basically good shape. Heavy and well balanced. Sights look good!
What do you think?
Price is Eu 1200 = USD 1400.
The -5 and -6 are the same gun, other than the barrel length and front sight location. The longer sight radius can help the shooter get more accuracy out of it, but mechanical accuracy is the same.

"Heavy Frame" is only located on the left side on later heavy frame models.

That is not a heavy frame. That's a standard frame.
Old October 4, 2017, 09:55 PM   #118
bac1023

Quote:
Hello rshaw, I agree that -5 looks well used. But I know I could not buy that pistol here in the sates for anything like $1400.00. More like double that.

As to serial numbers corresponding to when built, I have to admit I'm lost on that one. I've seen higher serial numbers with much earlier test target dates, and vice versa.....
The dates on the test targets are munitions dates, not when it was test fired.
Old October 4, 2017, 10:02 PM   #119
rshaw

Thank you Bac,
Was wondering about "heavy frame" when I did not see these words on the gun.
From the SN = P 304954, can you determine the year this -5 was built?
One last question, do I need a special tool to remove the forward sight and collar, so that the barrel can be removed from the slide for cleaning? Or perhaps sight removal is not absolutely necessary?
I appreciate your comments! Thanks very much
Old October 4, 2017, 10:44 PM   #120
rock185

bac, what is munitions date?
Old October 6, 2017, 01:55 PM   #121
rshaw

Re. serial numbers corresponding to manufacturing dates, it seems that Sig has just published a book on that and virtually everything else which has to do with "Sig." Saw a copy at the local LGS where I will likely buy this P210-5.

In the meantime, I found a site (link below) with a lot of information on serial numbers and production dates:
http://larvatus.com/sig-p210-serial-numbers/

Very helpful!

Turns out there is a "sight wrench" for the front sight on the -5. It looks like a simple wrench with a small spur on the inside curve of the head which should fit into the hole in the sight collar. I would appreciate anyone's input on where I could obtain this tool. Hard to find here in Eu. I hope the ownder of the pistol I'm about to buy has it.... LGS is calling him about it....

On the other hand, the barrel can be cleaned without taking it completely out of the slide; it can be canted upward far enough to run a patch and cleaning rod through from the breech instead of the muzzle.. That will have to do for now.

Last edited by rshaw; October 6, 2017 at 02:07 PM.