The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 29, 2017, 09:11 AM   #1
wbblazer

Kahr K40 slide catching?

After field stripping, inspecting, cleaning and lubing my K40, I notice that the slide is catching after the trigger is pulled and held. It feels like it is hanging up on something and requires some force to overcome the obstruction. I have not fired it yet, but I wonder if it will cause failures and short cycles.

Would someone mind checking their k series gun- with the gun unloaded and pointed in a safe direction, pull the trigger, hold the trigger back and try retracting the slide. Do you feel any resistance?
Old September 29, 2017, 09:54 AM   #2
Fishbed77

Check to see that the recoil spring and guide rod are perfectly seated. I've has similar issues after field stripping a Kahr, and this was the culprit.
Old September 29, 2017, 09:57 AM   #3
Dan-O

Shoot it and see if it's still a problem.
Old September 29, 2017, 11:03 AM   #4
gb6491

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbblazer View Post
After field stripping, inspecting, cleaning and lubing my K40, I notice that the slide is catching after the trigger is pulled and held. It feels like it is hanging up on something and requires some force to overcome the obstruction. I have not fired it yet, but I wonder if it will cause failures and short cycles.

Would someone mind checking their k series gun- with the gun unloaded and pointed in a safe direction, pull the trigger, hold the trigger back and try retracting the slide. Do you feel any resistance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-O View Post
Shoot it and see if it's still a problem.
I think Dan-O has suggested an appropriate course of action.

Beyond that:
My CW45 operated in similar manner, but it functioned fine. I didn't notice it until someone had an issue with their CW45.
With that in mind, my guess about wbblazer's K40 is that lobe on the cocking cam which lifts the striker block is too tall with on outside chance that there is an issue with the striker block.
I was able to clear it up on my pistol by swapping in another striker block.
Another person had theirs fixed by Kahr, and I remember someone else wrote that they carefully reduced the height cocking cam lobe as a fix.
http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...743#post354743

Regards,
Greg
Old September 29, 2017, 05:57 PM   #5
wbblazer

Greg, thank you for the link, I think it is my issue. Took it to the range today and I had 3 failure to go to full battery/100 rounds