The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 28, 2000, 05:30 PM   #1
dongun

I have heard powder burn rate mentioned regularly, but no discussion of it in particular. It is my understanding that bullet weight is the primary determining factor, with heavier bullets using a slower burning powder. Is this correct? What about other factors? How is burn rate measured and how do you find out the burn rate of a particular powder? Thanks for your help. Also answer any questions about the topic I should have asked but didn't.

I should have posted this to the reloading forum. Mr. Moderator, if you please...

[This message has been edited by dongun (edited June 28, 2000).]
Old June 28, 2000, 08:48 PM   #2
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

You are correct that heavier bullets in a given caliber usually use slower burning powder.
Burn rate is measured by a test done called a "closed bomb test" a small amount of powder is contained in a closed cylinder and ignited and the pressure and speed of burning measured. Really complicated stuff. Only the big boys have the equipment to do this.
All (well most anyway) good reloading manuals have a table that shows burning rate compared from one powder to the other.
Really the best thing to be said for burning rate is USE THE CHARGES RECCOMENDED IN A GOOD MANUAL!

------------------
Carlyle Hebert
Old June 28, 2000, 09:51 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Hokay, I'll move this to the Reloading forum. No problem.

Art

Old June 28, 2000, 11:13 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Don,

Yep, you heard right.

But, there's NOTHING truly useful you can learn by finding out how "fast" a powder burns other than getting a VERY general rule of thumb of what cartridges it MIGHT be good for.

Those burning rate charts you see in reloading manuals are only approximations at best and should NEVER be used to try and determine specific loads.

Their only true use is to get a general idea what other powders MIGHT be useful in a particular cartridge.

Example. WW 296, H110, 2400, Blue Dot, and Green Dot are all in the same relative area of the chart (I'm not certain of their specific order).

By looking at the chart, and knowing that you're currently using 2400 in your loads, you get the rough idea that 296, 110, BD and GD all MIGHT be suitable substitutes. Then you head for loading manuals to find out if your hunch is correct.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.