The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 9, 2021, 05:31 PM   #1
2wheelwander

Winchester 9410 owners?

Picked up a 9410 off consignment today. Got it home to run a few shells through it. Looked like it had never been fired. the only thing missing was the box.

Shells were a bit stiff into the loading gate, but manageable. The gun would NOT feed a shell into battery (2 1/2" shell). Lever operated smoothly back and forth, but the shell would not rise up into the barrel for loading. Took it back to the LGS in hopes of anything happening. As it happened, the owner was coming in at the same time to collect his check.

I'd brought a few shells with me to demonstrate outside the issue. Showed the owned who understood my frustration and offered to refund my sale, which I did.

Contacted my local gunsmith asking if he was familiar with these guns FTF. He was.

I really like the 9410. Lever, side loading gate, Winchester. Don't like the tube feed of the Henry's.

Have any owners experienced this? Common problem?
Old June 13, 2021, 07:04 PM   #2
2wheelwander

Nevermind, bought a side gate Henry.
Old June 15, 2021, 03:15 PM   #3
2wheelwander

Throwing this out for any prospective 9410 buyers. As mentioned in my first post, local gunsmith indicated he had worked on more than one 9410 with feeding issues. I desperately wanted that 9410 to work out. Like the traditional action, just wanted a nice Winchester lever and finding a mint was a real score for me. Despite having never been fired the lever was very sloppy, and I absolutely hated the safety plunger required to fire the gun. I'd looked at the Marlins but the nanny/lawyer requisite safety turned me away. Nice gun otherwise.

Just picked this up on transfer from GB. Hands down this is a higher quality gun than the 9410. The action is incredibly smooth and not at all notchy as the 9410 was. Everything is tight and fit and finish is so much nicer than the $899 I paid for the gun (paid $1200+ tax for the Winchester). Not just nice for a $900 long gun, its a very nice gun - period.

My luck, the 9410 will increase in value just because its out of production. If it were still being produced, anyone who handles these two side by side would put the Winchester back and take the Henry.

This experience is a solid example of guns going up in value just because they are out of production. I get it, I get caught up in that as well. But the Henry is soooo much nicer than that 9410 was. I'm talking about the smoothness of the action and trigger, fit and finish. Looks are in the eye of the beholder. The 9410 has a bit more "classic/old west" look to it, but man, I'll never look back and say the 9410 has anything on this Henry. To be blunt, that action sucked.

https://www.henryusa.com/shotgun/sid...r-action-410//

Hope this helps other buyers
Old June 15, 2021, 04:51 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
This experience is a solid example of guns going up in value just because they are out of production.
Personally, I find more than a bit of irony in that. The gun doesn't sell well enough for the maker to keep it in production, but suddenly when its canceled its worth MORE???

I looked at a 9410 some years back at a gun show, new in the box, very nice looking, but I didn't feel it worth the near $800 asking price. Seller told me it was a deal, because Winchester had just announced closing their plant, and next week the price would be $900. Everything with Winchester's name on it was going up $100 next week.....

I passed,

Out of production guns only go up in value when there is a demand, because the supply is now fixed. Absent consumer interest (and willingness to pay) the price doesn't go up, and often drops.
Old June 15, 2021, 08:26 PM   #5
2wheelwander

Clerk at the LGS told me the Stainless Marlin 45-70 that was used in Jurrasic Park sold new for $800/$900 new. Since the movie he's seen them go for $3600. Also, out of production.

Great point on supply and demand. Perception is everything. Not to say I've never fallen prey to it.
Old June 16, 2021, 12:45 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

There is a big difference between a particular model gun going out of production due to poor sales performance and something like Marlin where the entire company shuts down making everything.

Marlin got bought by Remington, who transferred some of Marlin's production to Remington's plant, and made some Marlin rifles, reportedly of inferior quality to what Marlin was making, for a few years, and apparently had gotten to the point of doing things "right", when Remington went away.

(sarcastic "thank you" corporate greed!!)

I've heard that Ruger has picked up the remains of Marlin from the carcass of Remington, and one exec has promised that the Marlin's will be made "right" and "the way they should be".

Expect at least a few more years before Ruger gets that line up and running and produces examples for sale.