The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 21, 2021, 01:48 PM   #1
Pistoler0

Beretta 92X-Performance frame mounted safety

The only reason I do not own a Beretta is because all my other pistols with a safety are such that the safety is taken "off" when the thumb lever is down and it is engaged when it is up. I do not like the idea of having a pistol with a different mode of operation.

But I see that the 92X-performance has a frame mounted safety 1911 style that is switched "off" by pressing it down.

Does anybody know if this safety also acts as a de-cocker? The Beretta website does not specify it.
Old June 21, 2021, 01:58 PM   #2
RickB

youtube video indicates the hammer must be controlled with the fingers as the hammer is lowered; no decock function in the safety.
Old June 21, 2021, 01:58 PM   #3
Jim Watson

As best I can research for you, the frame safety on that model is not a decocker, you really can go condition 1.
Old June 21, 2021, 02:13 PM   #4
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
youtube video indicates the hammer must be controlled with the fingers as the hammer is lowered; no decock function in the safety.
Thank you,

can you please post a link to the video?
Old June 21, 2021, 02:21 PM   #5
RickB

Googling "92-x decocker" . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=521nLCtB4ts
Old June 21, 2021, 02:23 PM   #6
Pistoler0

Great google fu I was going with "92X frame safety"

Thank you!
Old June 21, 2021, 03:10 PM   #7
Victor252

The Taurus PT92 has a frame mounted safety that is also a decocker, similar to the HK style of dual-purpose safety/decock levers. I bet this Taurus is a lot cheaper than that Beretta.

Skip to 1:50 if you want to see the de-cock action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uymjuEZJRAg
Old June 21, 2021, 03:37 PM   #8
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor252 View Post
The Taurus PT92 has a frame mounted safety that is also a decocker, similar to the HK style of dual-purpose safety/decock levers. I bet this Taurus is a lot cheaper than that Beretta.

Skip to 1:50 if you want to see the de-cock action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uymjuEZJRAg
HEY I LOVE that Taurus!!!

Cheaper than the Beretta AND the HK.

Thank you

I wish they made a compact.

Last edited by Pistoler0; June 21, 2021 at 03:42 PM.
Old June 21, 2021, 04:30 PM   #9
Victor252

They do/did:
https://www.taurus-guru.com/taurus-pt-92-compact

You might find one used. It looks like it's currently out of production according to their website:
https://www.taurususa.com/pistols/se...category&id=79
Old June 21, 2021, 04:55 PM   #10
RickB

The original Beretta 92 had a frame-mounted safety, and Taurus was making that version, under license for the Brazilian military.
When the contract was completed, Taurus continued making guns based on the 92, but doing their own development, so when Beretta went to the Walther-style, slide mounted decocker, Taurus went their own way, designing a combination safety and decocker in the frame.
Old June 21, 2021, 05:04 PM   #11
Victor252

You might also consider a Beretta 80 series. These were made in a partnership with Browning (Fabrique National?) and have a frame mounted safety/decocker. There are a few models and a few permutations of each model.

However, according to their website, Beretta is only making a three options right now, one in .32 ACP and a two in .380, a double stack and a single stack. If you don't mind stepping down to a .380, this could be your ideal compact, frame safety/decocker Beretta.
https://www.beretta.com/en/serie-80/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh8zsxgjQvM
Old June 23, 2021, 12:28 PM   #12
wild cat mccane

If you can believe it, a majority stake of S&W was owned by the same parent company as Taurus during S&W's glory days for 7 years.

If you look for a PT92 compact, I'm vaguely recalling there were different safety version? Probably wrong. But like said above, they've been out of production for a while.
Old June 23, 2021, 01:28 PM   #13
Jim Watson

Quote:
Weird. They make more guns with decockers than thumb safeties, why do an end run on a gun with safety? Unless...
The heavy CZ guns now popular in USPSA Production have thumb safeties and must have the hammer manually lowered. I don't know why they don't build a three pound "production" gun with decocker for the Division.
Old June 23, 2021, 03:18 PM   #14
RickB

"Nobody" uses a safety with hammer-down starts, so the Beretta must be aimed at cocked 'n' locked use?
Unless the slide-mounted safety was causing (too many) issues with inadvertent activation of the safety during loading or malfunction clearing?
Old June 23, 2021, 03:20 PM   #15
Jim Watson

Not if you get a "G" type, the slide lever is only a decocker with no safety function, it is spring loaded back up into horizontal position.
Old June 23, 2021, 03:26 PM   #16
wild cat mccane

On a CZ competition gun I think they are thinking SA only, the more expensive CZs are SA only.

Agreed on a decocker being the best option like the Walther P99 or the CZ SP-01 Tactical I had.
Old June 23, 2021, 04:23 PM   #17
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Weird. They make more guns with decockers than thumb safeties, why do an end run on a gun with safety? Unless...
The heavy CZ guns now popular in USPSA Production have thumb safeties and must have the hammer manually lowered. I don't know why they don't build a three pound "production" gun with decocker for the Division.

If you talk with people like Cajun Gun Works or CZ Custom, I believe the general impression is the decocker mechanism degrades the trigger pull. People seem to be willing to manually decock the pistol in a competition setting in exchange for that nicer trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 23, 2021, 06:03 PM   #18
wild cat mccane

The SA/DA trigger is shunned for that reason. Agreed.

For non competition, gosh I love the P99 AS for function.
Old June 23, 2021, 06:23 PM   #19
Jim Watson

That's the story I got on Benos.
I can see it on a CZ, who knows what they did to put on a frame decocker.
But the slide lever decocker on a Beretta is pretty simple. Not that you see many Berettas on the USPSA circuit.
Old June 23, 2021, 06:25 PM   #20
TunnelRat

I would agree. I have a 92A1 with a G conversion. Throw in some drop in parts like the Elite hammer and a LTT trigger bar and the trigger is pretty incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 23, 2021, 07:42 PM   #21
dgludwig

Quote:
The SA/DA trigger is shunned for that reason.
A DA/SA format is my configuration of choice when it comes to a pistol being carried for self-defense.
Old July 21, 2021, 07:01 AM   #22
ferrarif1fan

Yeah, those old Taurus 92s had the best option for a safety/decocker lever. When you chambered a round, you could press down to safely decock, or press up to carry "cocked and locked". In my opinion, for the 92 Series pistol, this was the perfect alternative. It's a shame Beretta didn't use the design.
Old July 21, 2021, 01:31 PM   #23
Cosmodragoon

The PX4 Storm can be converted to decocker-only with flush-fitting levers. That's a win IMHO.
Old July 21, 2021, 02:03 PM   #24
viciouskitty

I have a ltt elite that is set to decock only. IMO it’s the best of all of them. No need to fuss with the safety at all.
Old July 21, 2021, 04:44 PM   #25
sevt_chevelle

The guns CZ makes are purpose built guns, the Shadow 2 was built for production class and it rules the class. If I remember right, production class doesn't allow half cock, hence no decocker.

I have multiple guns built from CGW, safety and decocker, sitting down and dry firing, you can barely feel the difference. At the range doing drills, I can't tell.

CZ pistols really shine on the Pre B and Shadow line because they lack a firing pin block. My Pre Bs and Shadow2 with worked over triggers would make the vast number of 1911s blush.
In SA the trigger has less than 1mm of slack than breaks at 2.5lb with a quick short reset.
The da on my shadow 2 is right around 5.5 lb and smoooooth.

The SA only guns,CZ, once again different division.
The SA version of the Shadow 2 is not very popular and costs the same as the regular shadow. The SA of the regular cz75 is discontinued.

The Beretta 92x was built as a gamer gun to take on the Shadow 2.

Having both a shadow 2 and 92x performance, I'll take the CZ.

Last edited by sevt_chevelle; July 21, 2021 at 04:50 PM.