The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 3, 2021, 08:36 PM   #1
kilotanker22

Browning X-Bolt 300 PRC

SO a month ago I bought a Browning X-Bolt in 308 Win. Turns out I like it so much that I sort of Knee-Jerk ordered a Browning X-Bolt, Max Long Range in 300 PRC today... Now the real struggle is finding large rifle magnum primers, powder, brass and dies.

Thinking about an Arken Optics SH4 Gen 2 for this rifle.

I have been a Savage guy for years, but man these Browning rifles are so much nicer... I guess next will have to be a Tikka or Bergara....
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old June 4, 2021, 11:20 AM   #2
brasscollector

That's one nice looking rifle on their website. With a 26" barrel you should be able to wring out some decent velocity with those long heavy VLDs.

I'm not sure what the availability is for brass and whatnot lately. I bought 4 boxes of factory ammo, 50 new cases and a brick of LRM primers back last summer/fall and haven't seen anything since. Just checking ammoseek there was quite a bit of 300PRC ammo available but it's not very reasonably priced IMO. I also haven't been seeing any of the slower magnum-rifle powders available either. I bought/traded into some from a friend a few months back but other than that, nadda.
Old June 4, 2021, 04:13 PM   #3
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscollector View Post
That's one nice looking rifle on their website. With a 26" barrel you should be able to wring out some decent velocity with those long heavy VLDs.

I'm not sure what the availability is for brass and whatnot lately. I bought 4 boxes of factory ammo, 50 new cases and a brick of LRM primers back last summer/fall and haven't seen anything since. Just checking ammoseek there was quite a bit of 300PRC ammo available but it's not very reasonably priced IMO. I also haven't been seeing any of the slower magnum-rifle powders available either. I bought/traded into some from a friend a few months back but other than that, nadda.
I managed to find some IMR 7828SSC this morning. That should work well for this caliber. Large rifle magnum primers will be the joke to locate. I have 300 on hand, so at least i have enough to get started.

The 250 grain Hornady A-Tip is the bullet I intend to use. I am hoping to get 2700 fps with that bullet.

Midway and EuroOptic has Lapua brass for the 300 PRC right now and Midway has dies
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old June 4, 2021, 04:34 PM   #4
brasscollector

7828SSC was what I wanted to try out but none around to be had when I last looked locally. I have a couple 1# containers of 7977 and one # of 4955 to try when I get around to it. I also scored a box of Berger 230gr hybrid target bullets and with my 28" barrel I'm hoping for an accurate load around 2850fps with those.
Old June 4, 2021, 05:34 PM   #5
kilotanker22

Yeah 2850 is moving right along for bullets that heavy. According to the Hornady 4DOF calculator, If I can manage 2700 fps with the 250 grain A-Tip, I will be just barely supersonic at one mile. According to the calculator, at 1760 yards, The bullet will be moving at 1223 fps.
– St. Augustine
Old June 4, 2021, 05:57 PM   #6
Geezerbiker

I had to look it up. I sounds like a winner but we will have to wait and see if it catches on. So many newish magnum rounds have come and gone in the past 20 years it's hard to keep track of them without a scorecard...

Tony
Old June 4, 2021, 09:10 PM   #7
sako2

Kilo take a look a hodgdon us869 powder. Tried it in my 6.5 prc it shot well and is clean burning.
Old June 6, 2021, 10:18 PM   #8
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako2 View Post
Kilo take a look a hodgdon us869 powder. Tried it in my 6.5 prc it shot well and is clean burning.
That is one I have considered, but assumed it is just too slow to burn up all the powder inside the barrel. I feel like not burning 100% each time you pull the trigger opens up velocity spreads.
– St. Augustine
Old June 28, 2021, 10:07 PM   #9
kilotanker22

I picked up this rifle on Saturday. I forgot to mention that I got the FDE version.
Pretty impressed for out of the box handling on this thing. The stock is quite nice. I am surprised at how effective the muzzle brake is. It has their Recoil Hawg brake. I am getting 2830 fps with factory loaded 225 grain ELD Match bullets.

Shoots pretty well. most groups measure right about moa. A few of the groups in the .3-.5 moa range. I feel like I will be able to tighten that up considerably with hand loads and being able to adjust for harmonics.

Overall I am pretty stoked about this gun. Recoil with the brake is about like shooting a lightweight 6.5 Creedmoor without a brake.
– St. Augustine