The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 18, 2019, 04:55 PM   #26
9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
I think the point by the OP is that he has multiple MecGar magazines for multiple pistols and besides not working in the G2C they also don't work in the pistols they were meant for. The malfunction shown is, from what I gather, indicative of the malfunctions he's getting with the other pistols and serves as a reference for us.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Correct

I am the primary shooter with these magazines no one else. The guns are clean.

I will go to the range next week and get a photo of the G2C magazines. From my understanding and reading online its a weak follower/spring that causes them to "TILT" and not feed proper.

Or possible, I have also read that its "cheap" ammo and the springs require a higher power, to cycle the gun faster so it DOESNT JAM. I do not think its this case as I have used multiple brands of ammo for the .22lr and 9mm.

Last edited by 9mm; July 18, 2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old July 22, 2019, 02:22 PM   #27
wbblazer

Never had an issue with mecgar mags across multiple platforms. In fact, I trust them as much as factory OEM's and indeed many times they manufacture the OEMs. Taurus doesn't exactly scream quality you know.
Old August 5, 2019, 04:26 PM   #28
9mm

Sorry for the delay, here are the 3 photos whats happening in my G2C, and no my hand/fingers are not touching the magazine at all.

The first two photos is the round jaming up into the frame and barrel, on the final picture the slide doesn't lock all the way back on the mec gar magazine and gets stuck on it, if you look closely its actually pushing the round DOWN while the slide is BACK.

Happens at random, I usually get 3 or 8 jams a magazine.. I never made it through one magazine without some type of failure. The factory ones run flawlessly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g2c1.jpg (70.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg g2c2.jpg (143.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg g2c3.jpg (178.0 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by 9mm; August 5, 2019 at 04:47 PM.
Old August 5, 2019, 05:16 PM   #29
m&p45acp10+1

The Mec-Gar magazine in my RIA 9mm 1911 quickly found residence in a trash can where it should have been put right out of the box. I have since used Wilson Combat, and Metal Form mags. Not a single problem since I got rid of the factory magazine.
Old August 5, 2019, 07:52 PM   #30
m&p45acp10+1

For some reason by design the Mec Gar have weak lips on the top. The first round chambers, and the jarring of the slide causes the round under the slide to pop loose. When the gun fires the slide goes rearward, ejects the spent round. When it goes forward there is now a loose round, and the one in the top of the magazine causing a double feed.

My RIA had this problem with the factory supplied Mec Gar. It is the only one I have had experience with. After that experience I do not have high expectations for them.
Old August 5, 2019, 07:55 PM   #31
TunnelRat

I have owned literally dozens of MecGar magazines and not had this issue. I can't discount it, but I can't call it common from my experience and the experience of others I know personally and on here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old August 8, 2019, 04:20 PM   #32
veprdude

Can you measure the distance from top of the bullet to the chamber (or top of slide) and compare the 2? It's possible that even though it latched correctly the feed lips might be lower or higher than the factory magazines.
Old August 13, 2019, 11:50 AM   #33
9mm

How would I measure that? Which small tool or device do I use for such small and tight spaces.
Old August 13, 2019, 04:50 PM   #34
dyl

So you're saying that your MecGar mags nosedive, and cause rounds to stand up vertically in all your guns? That's so strange, I've never had a problem with mine. Were your mags purchased new or used / old?

For cross-compatibility, you have to be careful. While the MecGar mag may fit and "click" in, the differences in the follower and height of the magazine/feed lips and position of the mag catch may differ than the factory Taurus mag.

You could take the slide off the gun and just eyeball it: how high do the feed lips go with the factory mag in place? How high do the MecGar feed lips go? Try it with a round in the mag if you can't tell with an empty mag. But don't forget to safety check when you reassemble.

If you have dial calipers, or digital calipers, measure from the top of the mag catch hole to the top of the feed lips at the front using the large jaws. Do this for both the factory and Mec Gar mag to compare. Your picture of a round completely standing up is so bizarre to me, IMO there has to be a LOT of empty space in that area for this to happen. This makes me think your mec gar mag sits too low, which may mean the mag catch cutout is higher up on the mag than is optimal. But it's not like you can tailor it if that's the case because you can't just ratchet the whole magazine upwards, you are limited by the base plate, length of mag, and existing hole kind of puts a damper on things.

In my pistols, if a round has moved forward enough to come out from underneath the feed lips, it's pretty much been chambered. There's just not enough free space for that to happen. I've never had a round stand up like that.

If you have really old mags, then yes new mag springs may help.

good luck.
Old August 15, 2019, 07:51 AM   #35
9mm

Thank you for the reply, I will try this later tonight.
My mec gar magazines are new, and recently bought in June from gun mag warehouse.