The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 23, 2014, 04:38 PM   #1
Outlaw75

Any way to remove a pierced primer from a case?

I took my Mosin to the range this weekend and ran 50 rounds of PPU 182 grain match through it. Out of the 50 rounds I had two pierced primers. Close inspection of the cases showed that the primers were seated a tad high and from what I've read a pierced primer here and there is common with Mosins. (FTR: I always wear eye protection).

I managed to remove one of of the pierced primers using a Universal Decapping Die and a Lee hand press, but the hole in the second case is large enough that the decapping pin just slides through. I'd like to salvage the case as it's in good shape otherwise. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get the pierced primer out?
Old November 23, 2014, 04:56 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

You can probably get them out the way some folk remove Berdan primers, which is from the outside with a sort of can opener tool. Once the hole is widened, a nut pick should do the same thing. Another possibility is to mount a drill bit in a chuck and turn the case onto it by hand, then pull. The drill should "grab" the hole pretty well. Try something in the range of 1/8 to 3/16 inch.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; November 28, 2014 at 02:15 PM. Reason: typo fix
Old November 23, 2014, 05:44 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

For 2 cases, I wouldn't bother. However, if you're seeing a lot of 'em, something ain't right.
The sort of can opener tool Nick mentions comes from RCBS. $61.99 from Midway.
Old November 23, 2014, 06:32 PM   #4
Outlaw75

Quote:
For 2 cases, I wouldn't bother.
Yeah, I think I'll just have to trash the case. Bent a punch trying to pry it out.
Old November 27, 2014, 11:55 PM   #5
frogo207

Use an old ice pick or a rather beefy awl with a sharp point to get into the hole. I have used this method before. Use a #2 Phillips screwdriver and slide the brass down onto the blade for leverage while prying.
Old November 28, 2014, 01:23 PM   #6
mikld

A "cape chisel" is often used for this type of operation. It's a cold chisel type of tool with a "diamond" shaped tip that comes to a sharp point at a 60 degree angle. But an ice pick driven into the hole in the primer and pried up may work...

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...&type=sbc_dial
Old November 28, 2014, 01:32 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

What happened to the anvils? Assuming the primers are Boxer type, a "pierced" primer shouldn't lose its anvil. (If they are Berdan type, they can't be removed with a decapping pin in any case.)

So-called "pierced" primers are the result of a firing pin spring that is too weak and does not back up the primer. The internal pressure of the primer forces the firing pin back, and extrudes the primer metal into the firing pin hole in the bolt, where it will eventually interfere with the firing pin and cause misfires.

If that rifle is having "pierced" primers, the rifle needs to be checked out.

Jim
Old November 28, 2014, 02:18 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

I've also seen primers with a healthy indent that pierced to make a small hole a the perimeter of the indentation. In that case it's likely over-protrusion of the pin or a pin with an improperly radiused tip that's responsible for thinning the cup too much at the corner of the strike. But whatever mechanism is at work with your cases, the gun should be checked.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 28, 2014, 06:19 PM   #9
tangolima

There are no reason a mosin should have a pierced primer or two. It should have none like any rifle in proper working order. On top of the possible causes unclenick has outlined, excessive headspace can do that too. Things will break if you don't have it fixed.

-TL
Old November 28, 2014, 08:46 PM   #10
Snyper

You might be able to thread a small screw into the hole to pull it out, but it seems like a lot of trouble to save one case of a common round
Old November 28, 2014, 09:12 PM   #11
Drm50

Removal punctured primer

I have had to salvage cases with pierced primers. 1st step, remove stem from sizing die. Then screw die in press from bottom, die is in press upside down. Press casing into die with block of wood. I use a old Grace screw driver, this is hardened, square shank type. Have ground tip to chisel type edge. Start with light tap into pierced hole on shallow angle. Lay another small screwdriver on top of case for fulcrum and depress with steady pressure. It will usually pop right out.
Old November 29, 2014, 08:24 AM   #12
stubbicatt

Have you deployed your firing pin protrusion gage that comes in the standard M/N tool kit? It may be that your firing pin sticks out too far and is causing your issues.
Old November 29, 2014, 01:06 PM   #13
mikld

Two outta 50? Shot in a military surplus rifle of questionable origin (we don't know if yours is a mixed parts or matching numbers rifle or it's condition), and unknown to us ammo? I'd try 50 more...
Old November 29, 2014, 05:51 PM   #14
jepp2

Hydraulic works for Berdan primers, no reason why it can't work for Boxer if you just plug the opening with a screw.
Old November 29, 2014, 07:09 PM   #15
Outlaw75

It wasn't unknown ammo, it was PPU (Privi Partizan) 182gr match ammo.

I've been researching this and I think this may be an ammo problem. I seen other people posting on other sites about pierced primers in 7.62x54R and 7mm Mauser from PPU.

Also, I'm waiting on a set of gauges from Okie. I'll update once I check the headspace on the rife.
Old December 7, 2014, 03:53 PM   #16
Outlaw75

If anyone's still interested; I picked up a set of headspace gauges from Okie Gauges (http://www.okiegauges.com/). My mosin passed Field, then passed No-Go.

I'm putting this down to an ammo issue. I've read other reports of this happening with new PPU ammo.
Old December 7, 2014, 04:03 PM   #17
9MMand223only

Use a metal screw, a short, fat one. Screw in, pull out. easy. you got this.
Old December 7, 2014, 04:12 PM   #18
jmorris

I would think the screw idea would work fine. If the body is large enough that it won't pass through the flash hole it will pull the primer out as you turn it once it gets to it.
Old December 7, 2014, 04:30 PM   #19
FrankenMauser

I had a box of "Hot Shots" 7.62x54R get pierced primers with 80% of the cartridges fired in my M38.

Most of the primers decapped with a standard die. Those that didn't come out with a decapping pin were pried out with Xuron rail cutters (very sharp, pointy, hardened, flush-cutting pliers) until I could grab the primer with something else.
Old December 7, 2014, 05:28 PM   #20
Jim243

Use the method of decapping bedan primed cases. Get a dowel rod the size of the case mouth, fill the case with water, place the dowel into the mouth of the case and wack the top of the dowel. The hydro static pressure should pop the primmer.

Jim
Old December 8, 2014, 01:02 AM   #21
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Use the method of decapping bedan primed cases. Get a dowel rod the size of the case mouth, fill the case with water, place the dowel into the mouth of the case and wack the top of the dowel. The hydro static pressure should pop the primmer.
...only if the hole in the prime is smaller than the flash hole.

And in this case, it would be hydraulic pressure. Hydrostatic pressure (fluid at rest) just results in dribbles out of the hole in the primer.