The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 8, 2012, 06:17 PM   #1
mnhntr

Favorite .223/5.56 AR loads with 69gr pills

I am going to start loading for my AR with 69gr SMKs. I have Varget and Benchmark for powders and I have mixed brass, some Hornady .223 and a lot of LC 5.56. My twist is 1/8 in the 18in tube. I was wondering who uses the infamous Lee FCD on their AR loads. I use it on all my auto pistol loads. So what is your best loads?

Last edited by mnhntr; September 8, 2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old September 8, 2012, 06:28 PM   #2
zxcvbob

You know the rifle FCD is a totally different animal than the same-named pistol die?
Old September 8, 2012, 07:07 PM   #3
mnhntr

I did not know this, what is the difference?
Old September 8, 2012, 07:43 PM   #4
Slamfire

The lee factory crimp die will do this to your bullets if you follow instructions, even if you don’t follow instructions still may squish them because you can’t tell just how much the collets are swaging your bullets.

With match bullets, don’t crimp them. You will not improve their accuracy by swaging them in the middle and shifting the center of gravity of the core outside the axis of rotation.

With Varget, a load of 24.0 to 24.5 will produce outstanding accuracy.

Any powder in the IMR 4895 burn rate will give outstanding accuracy. I prefer the stick powders.
Old September 8, 2012, 08:28 PM   #5
mnhntr

So what do you do to make sure they will chamber in an AR if not using the FCD? I have only loaded for bolt rifles so chambering is not an issue. I do use the FCD on my auto pistol rounds but accuracy is not an issue.
Old September 8, 2012, 10:33 PM   #6
zxcvbob

Quote:
So what do you do to make sure they will chamber in an AR if not using the FCD? I have only loaded for bolt rifles so chambering is not an issue. I do use the FCD on my auto pistol rounds but accuracy is not an issue.
Why would it not chamber? You full-length resized it didn't you? Also, the rifle crimp die does not do anything but crimp (unlike the pistol FCD)

I use a Lee 2-die rifle set to load .223. The neck tension holds the bullet in place; it doesn't need a crimp. (I adjust the seating die so it touches the case mouth as the press cams over, so it does get a *tiny* amount of crimp)

I haven't been reloading rifle cartridges very long, and I've never used match-grade bullets. But I would never use a crimp die like that on good match bullets. It might be OK for cheap FMJ's.
Old September 9, 2012, 01:03 AM   #7
mnhntr

I was worried the action would cause bullets to deep seat if not crimped right. Not a problem in bolt guns but could be in autos.
Old September 9, 2012, 01:18 AM   #8
NWPilgrim

No need to crimp. I do every so slightly on bullets with cannelure (most 55 gr and 62 gr FMJ, Nosler 60 gr BT and Sierra 77 gr MK), but I also load some without cannelure or crimp and never had a bullet jam down (Sierra 65 gr GK, etc).

Even if a bullet does set back some from slamming into the feed ramp it is much less significant on pressure than when it happens in a pistol cartridge.

I would find the bullet that best meets your needs and then if it does not have a cannelure no worries. If it happens to have a cannelure then apply just the smallest amount of crimp if any.

I've seen a couple of mags of Win factory ammo fired with no issues that had bullets so loose they literally fell into the case.