The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 5, 2011, 05:28 PM   #1
Osage

Loading 68 & 75 gr Hornady in 22-250

Picked up some Hornady Match hollow-point bullets on sale at Midway. Got one box of 68 grain and one 75. Just thought I'd try some of the bigger bullets for target shooting. Kinda hard to find much load data on these rounds. From what I did find, I loaded some at 30 and and some at 31 grains of IMR-4064. I couldn't attest to the accuracy as I was trying to sight in a new scope and had difficulty with it. the bullets did however leave oblong holes in the cardboard. Can't believe these would actually be key-holing. Could this be too much or too little pressure? Seated out too far? I was seating the bullets above the minimum OAL and didn't have any problems chambering them. Is there a specific twist rate these big boys need?. Gun is a new Stevens model 200 22-250 I picked up at a gun show. My 55 grain bullets with 33 grains 4064 can tear a ragged hole when the scopes right.

I want to go back to my original scope and find more load data. Anyone have experience with these bullets?
Old March 5, 2011, 06:10 PM   #2
snuffy

Most 22-250's are a 1-12 twist, much too slow for a 75 grain .224 bullet. So are the 68 grainers. Some have been able to get a 60 grain bullet to shoot reasonably well in a '250.

It's best to stick with the 55 grainers, or lighter, for the 22-250.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old March 5, 2011, 07:25 PM   #3
castnblast

+2 - I wanted my '250 to shoot heavier bullets, and I looked at putting a custom barrel in it. I was talking to the gunsmith who recomended that I consider trading for a 243, that I was basically asking my 22-250 to do the job of a 243. I had even considered it - so he saved me $350 for a rebarrel, and I traded scope for scope, gun for gun + $150, and got a brand new one!

Now I can shoot a 55 gr. bullet at 4100fps or a 100 gr at 3100fps - and have the whole spectrum.

My 22-250 had a 1:14 and would stabilize a 55 nicely, but nothing over that. 50 gr were the best groups. I could shoot 60's, but they would group about 1.5" - not near the accuracy I want for that little gun. I'd look at Sierra Game King BTSP's - they should do what you need them to do.
Old March 6, 2011, 09:03 AM   #4
Osage

Thanks. You guys saved me some time and powder. Looks like I'll need to put these bullets up for sale and look for some more 50/55. Maybe even smaller for some really high velocity stingers. Hoping to make a P-dog trip this spring.