The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 17, 2009, 09:42 PM   #1
KMAY

Coyote/Target rifle

I have been looking into getting a stevens 200 in 223 to use as a coyote/target rifle and have a question on scopes.

Do you guys think that a fixed power 6x scope would be to much magnification? I think 300yds will be about the max i will shoot at?

Any suggestions on scopes also? Would like one with tactical/target turrets and a mildot reticle. Price should be under 300 if possible.
Old December 17, 2009, 10:01 PM   #2
wpcexpert

If I were to be shooting coyotes at 300yds...scratch that. I'm prepared for a 300yd shot on a coyote, my magnification is 6-24x. For my standards, a 6x is way under glassed. At 300, the finest cross hairs would cover up the shoulder. The least I would go with would be a 10x. I do have a Mini 14 TR that's topped with a 3-9x40. I'd shoot it at 300 yds, cause I know what it can do. But a 3-9 vairable would be my absolute bare minimum.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old December 17, 2009, 10:04 PM   #3
KMAY

Th reason i am thinking about the 6x is that i want to be able to make close up shots and think it will be hard to find a close up target with a fixed power 10x scope.

I would like a fixed power scope because of reliablity and the fact that this gun will be doing a alot of time riding behind the seat of my truck.
Old December 17, 2009, 10:09 PM   #4
wpcexpert

Good reasons for a fixed power. Although a $15 padded soft case would allow you to install a 3-10x and not have to worry about it not being on when the time came. Just another option.

For the options you want and the price you want, I think an upper end, of the low ends are what I'd look at. Bushnell might have what you want. Hell, lots of folks have great luck with a Barska. That's my 24x I was talking about.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old December 17, 2009, 10:12 PM   #5
Catfish25p2000

I'm not sure how close you will be getting to your dogs, but 6X alone will leave you lacking big time. If you were figuring 6x anyway, go with a 6x24. You can always just set it to 6x and leave it there if you want to. If you are going to go with a 6x24, spend the extra money and get decent glass. 24 power can get pretty blurry with crappy glass. I hear Millett has decent glass for a very reasonable price.
Old December 17, 2009, 10:22 PM   #6
fisherman66

6x will work fine. Both Leupold FX in the 6 are good. If you want a variable, the 4.5-14 seems 'bout right for that kind of work IMO.
Old December 17, 2009, 10:45 PM   #7
KMAY

Another reason i am set on a fixed power scope os so that i can use the mildot reticle to its full potential while target shooting. I would like to be able to judge distance accurately and not have to worry about what power i am on. I kind of see the variable power scope as being pointless if you are using a mildot reticle for the same reason that military snipers do. Its just another factor to have to mess with when trying to make an accurate distance estimation.

That being said, i am not bashing variable power scopes because i have one on my 30-06. They have there place but to me its not on this rifle. I want this gun to be a more tactical based rifle. I love the way they look but also how they perform.

As for how close i can get them? I want them to be as close as possible but that being said, you can only get them so close. Up close i want the rilfe to be point and shoot so i dont want to have to struggle to find the target up close. For that reason i have thought about a 4x fixed poerscope but think it will leave much to be desired when shooting out to 300yrds.
Old December 18, 2009, 09:03 AM   #8
KMO

Quote:
Do you guys think that a fixed power 6x scope would be too much magnification?
I put a Weaver 6x scope on my Mini-14...a good match. I definitely do not think it is too much magnification.
Old December 18, 2009, 09:50 AM   #9
Daryl

One question:

How will you be hunting coyotes?

If you're "sniping" them at longer ranges, then go with something with higher magnification.

If you're calling them to you, you'll likely shoot more at closer ranges than you will at longer ones. Low powered 'scopes rule for this type of shooting.

Personally, I use variable powered Leupold on my calling rifles. It's hard to beat a 2-7 or 3-9 for this type of hunting, and 9x is plenty for a 300 yard shot (and beyond). The lower setting allows for better field of view at closer ranges for shooting moving animals.

In the end, it will depend on what you want and need for your style of hunting.

Daryl
Old December 18, 2009, 02:18 PM   #10
KMAY

I will be calling them and will try to keep my shots within 200 yards but want to make the 300 yrd shots if i practice enough.
Old December 18, 2009, 07:29 PM   #11
Daryl

KMAY,

Then I'd go for a good quality variable (Leupold and Burris are good scopes at decent prices).

I leave mine on the low setting (2x or 3x, depending on the scope) on stands because coyotes make a habit of popping up from nowhere at close range. I usually have plenty of time on longer shots to turn the magnification up if I need to.

That's my experience, anyway. I probably shoot something like 80% of the coyotes I kill inside of 100 yards, and a good number of those within 50 yards.

They're hunting you, so let 'em come.

Daryl
Old December 19, 2009, 09:10 AM   #12
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I had no trouble busting prairie dogs to 300 yards via the 2x7 on my .243. Last coyote I shot, he was a wee tad bigger than a prairie dog.

I don't know if the Simmons 44Mag 3x10 is as well made now as the one I got in 1997 for $100. But it worked quite nicely on my '06 for a couple of hundred rounds' worth of recoil.

I guess I like a variable more for varmint hunting than for deer hunting, really. A fixed 4X will always take care of deer, on out to Ma Bell country. But 2X or 3X for up close and personal on Ol' Wily, and 7X or 9X if he's "way out there".
Old December 19, 2009, 01:31 PM   #13
BLS700

I put a 3-9 nikon buckmaster with the nikoplex reticle. I paid $210 and tax here. I'm with Daryl on this one as far as style. Also, for me terrain came into play big time. There aren't too many opportunities for me at long range but the majority have been up close and personal experiences. I have hunted them with a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14 but that was often too much magnification even at 4.5 for me to be able to track on a moving target well at the ranges I was getting. For me I prefer to practice my skills for calling to get a closer shot. I'm certainly not faulting anyone who likes it the other way and wants to challenge their long range skills (as long as their taking an ethical shot within their skills). I will say I haven't felt underpowered at the 300 yd range on the 9x setting and i like being able to start at 3x and work my way up if they don't cooperate and come to the dinner bell.
Old December 19, 2009, 01:46 PM   #14
L_Killkenny

6x not big enough? Ya right, a a .223 will leave em unharmed too......

For callin em in a 6x might be TOO BIG. if you are spoting and stalking I prefer something bigger. My main coyote fox gun wears a 4-16x. It stays on 4x 99% of the time but I'll turn ut to 10x if I've put the sneak on one.

Rodents excluded, great glass for a hunting gun is any fixed power up to 6x and varibles of 1.5-4x up to 3-9x. Over that is mostly gimmic on a hunting gun.

BTW, best bet with variables is to keep it on the lowest setting for moving game. You can always turn it up if time allows. Definetly don't keep it set on anything above 4x.

LK
Old December 19, 2009, 01:51 PM   #15
James R. Burke

I agree with Art. I was thinking about what he said about the deer. All mine are 2x7 or 3x9, and I always leave them on 4x. For sighting in, and hunting. Most of the time were we hunt it is thick like most deer country so I just leave it on 4x. If they have any type of rack worth keeping 99.9% of the time you will see it before you bring the gun up. Lots of folks feel the fixed is more accurate than the variables. One day I got to checking that out the best I could for what myself and freinds had. I do think if you were really into some serious target shooting the fixed would probably be the way to go. Also like Art said if something happens to be way out there nice to be able to crank up to the higher mags, or lower for in close. Look thru as many as you can. I know the money plays a big part. I guess it will come down to what you really feel good with, and not break the old bank.
Old December 19, 2009, 02:15 PM   #16
shepherddogs

I have a Nikon Monarch 3x9 on my 223 coyote rifle and leave it on 3. But the zoom is there if I need it. At 9x I figure I could hit a coyote size animal a good ways out. My problem is getting the coyotes to cooperate.
Old December 19, 2009, 02:29 PM   #17
Scorch

Quote:
my magnification is 6-24x. For my standards, a 6x is way under glassed. At 300, the finest cross hairs would cover up the shoulder.
My Leupold 4.5-14X with fine duplex subtends 1/8 MOA at 10X, so at 300 yds, the crosshairs cover about 3/8". Coyotes are about 10" back to belly, so that comes nowhere near covering the whole shoulder, and still leaves plenty of room for sloppiness.
Quote:
Th reason i am thinking about the 6x is that i want to be able to make close up shots and think it will be hard to find a close up target with a fixed power 10x scope.
That shows that you actually understand optics and shooting, congratulations. The reason many people opt for variable scopes is because of the range of magnification, allowing them to zoom for more distant targets. Sounds good, but most people who own variable power scopes leave them on the highest power, and have difficulty with closer shots and issues with magnification amplifying their heartbeat. Plus it interferes with many shooters when they are shooting from field positions. Actually, I shot many coyotes with iron sights and a 4X scope on my 223, and none of them complained too loud about what I used.
Old December 20, 2009, 07:58 PM   #18
LarryFlew

4x14 on .223
Old December 26, 2009, 08:57 PM   #19
Shaun_300

I used to have a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-10x40 on my .25-06, just got a Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x50 that will replace it, the 3-10 is going on my .300 WSM now.
Old December 27, 2009, 01:34 AM   #20
ASETech

BSA scope
Glass Etched
624X40

I think the part number is actually ge624X40 on their website.

Thats what I use, and I have NO complaints personally. Best scope I ever purchased in my life. Does what i've always wanted.
Old December 27, 2009, 11:17 AM   #21
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

One reason I don't like a scope with a minimum magnification of more than 2X or 3X goes back to an event from years ago. I was doing the early-morning sit-and-wait and had my 2x7 set on 7X. After sunup I started walking-hunting. I'd not set the scope down to 2X.

So, after a bit I jumped a nice fat eight-point buck at maybe fifteen yards. He goes to fifth-gear overdrive, I throw my rifle up to shoot--and all I see is brown. And then an ear. And then he's gone.

I don't shoot "brown". I shoot a specific place on a deer. Hard to do that when the field of view is danged little. (He made a long circle through the brush, working upwind. I cut across the circle and waited for him and killed him, a half-hour later.)

I've also found that 3X is no problem on a 350-yard buck. A little daylight over his back, and had a nice heart/lung hit. DRT.

IOW, there are "field-tested" reasons for my opinions...
Old December 27, 2009, 11:57 AM   #22
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Scopes are a bugger for me... Like Art... I have had some bad experiences with forgetting to tune down the zoom.

Now I have a .30-30 with a gawd awe-full cheap BIG scope. It has the zoom on the back and the parallax adjustment on front... Not a wise hunting scope for the vast majority of hunters on the vast majority of hunts... 2 adjustments required as you usually do not have a way to preset as the real world puts game any where from 10 yards to "out yonder a far piece" (real official measurement where I am)... I feel like I am tuning a 6 carb inline flathead motor trying to prepare for a shot...
Brent
Old December 28, 2009, 07:52 PM   #23
James R. Burke

I would go with a 3x9x40 or 3x9x50 in a Leupold or similar quality. The A.O. are nice when things are not moving, and I have one, but it is something else you need to mess with. If your calling them it's another thing you dont need to mess with.
Old December 28, 2009, 11:30 PM   #24
johnwilliamson062

I currently have 2 scopes and a red dot. One scope is installed. Variable 2.5-9. I have never taken it off of 2.5.
Old January 5, 2010, 02:11 AM   #25
dmazur

I have two .243's.

One is a target/varmint rifle and it has a 6-18XAO on it.

The other is a deer rifle (which could be called a walking varminter) and it has a 3-9X on it.

So far, the only times I've used the high power end of these scopes is at the rifle range...