The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 6, 2005, 02:59 PM   #1
azurefly

Here's a guy who should have had a gun on him

Man who wanted to teach creationism allegedly beaten on rural road

Well, his story stinks. "I was, uh, beaten up by people who shouted about my creationism views as they did it, but uh, I don't know them, can't identify them, and it, uh, happened far, far away from where anyone could corrobora- I mean, could have seen them do it."

Happens all the time. People make up crap just to get themselves noticed. Always ambiguous stuff, usually very transparent.

Anyway, from the story:

Quote:
A college professor whose planned course on creationism and intelligent design was canceled after he derided Christian conservatives said he was beaten by two men along a rural road early Monday.

University of Kansas religious studies professor Paul Mirecki said the men referred to the class when they beat him on the head, shoulders and back with their fists, and possibly a metal object, the Lawrence Journal-World reported.
. . .
The professor said he confronted the men after they were tailgating his vehicle along a road south of Lawrence. ā€œIā€™m mostly shaken up, and I got some bruises and sore spots,ā€ he said.

I guess the context of his life's situation already demonstrates that he is not a brilliant man, but did it really make a lot of sense to him to STOP, get OUT of his car, and CONFRONT TWO obviously belligerent men WITHOUT A GUN FOR DEFENSE?

He got his ass beaten. In my view, he certainly asked for it. If I were such a controversial figure, I'd definitely have a gun to carry for defense. As it is, I'm not a controversial figure, and if two guys were following me, I would not stop at the side of a rural road to confront them, and I DO carry a gun.

-azurefly
Old December 6, 2005, 03:14 PM   #2
LoadIt

I too saw this on my local news, as I live about 30 minutes from where this happened. He wanted to teach creationism as a mythology class. If the prof is a leftwing, anti-gun, tree worshiping hippie as he appears to be, then of course he would not be armed. It is against the law to carry a firearm in Kansas anyway.

I'm just glad his attackers did not have a firearm. That would have given even more fuel to the anti's.
Old December 6, 2005, 03:29 PM   #3
model 25

Sounds like he just got caught up in a road rage thing and made up the story as to why he got his butt kicked, had to be something bigger than simple road rage if his life to get his lumps. Couldn't have been he was driving with his head up his...

Old December 6, 2005, 05:08 PM   #4
Sir William

I believe his story. Lawrence is a little Berkley. The locals have 0 tolerance for liberals. Liberals are imported by the university. Not a friendly environment.