The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 14, 2013, 06:29 PM   #26
oryx

I don't think you mentioned if your press is single stage or progressive...

Before modifying the die...

Make sure that your shell holder (if single stage press) is clean and that your case is sliding fully into the shell holder. If it is not, when the ram raises, it will not be properly aligned with the die.

If progressive, and for some reason it does not index correctly, it could also be misaligned and not go into the die properly (but all stations may also have issues)

I would definitely do an inspection on all dies, reset them up and go slow to see if it duplicates and you can isolate it.
Old March 14, 2013, 11:04 PM   #27
maggys drawers

Try poking a little bit of a cotton ball up into the suspected die. If there is a burr, a few cotton fibers will hang up on it as you pull the cotton back out. That would show you where you would need to focus your polishing efforts.
Old March 14, 2013, 11:22 PM   #28
david_r

My dies will do that if I don't have the shell all the way into the shell holder. Being that it isn't every one and it is after you have sized, you may want to look at that.
Old March 15, 2013, 03:36 AM   #29
Fire_Moose

Re: Lee sizing die leaves scratches on 9 mm brass, how safe ?

Got one of these tonight. The turret didn't index correctly, slightly too far. It was on the powder/expand die.

I bet it is just alignment....
Old March 15, 2013, 08:47 AM   #30
mjes92

I didn't throughly read all the replys to you question, but I didn't see any suggestions to re-set the dies. I had similar symptoms and did the whole die cleaning/de-burring process. (Brillo pad wrapped around a small caliber bronze brush on a cordless drill). Slight improvment but didn't solve the problem. I finally reset the dies and made sure they were true to the stroke of the ram (Dillon press). No more Scatches.

Good luck
NRA - Life Member
Old March 16, 2013, 10:18 PM   #31
medalguy

It has to be alignment of the case as it goes into the seating die. Be sure the shell holder is clean and that the case is going all the way into the holder. Also be sure the shell holder is seated in the ram properly. Can't be anything else in my opinion.
Old March 18, 2013, 01:34 PM   #32
ViktorC

Guys thanks you for your sharing your experiences and thoughts and Sorry for delay in response , didn't have time to check my post in few days
Uhhm, yeah almost positive scraped cases coming out of seating die and smoothing it inside makes perfect sense, will try to do that... I came across a tone of free 9 mm range brass and will be reloading more later in the week,
will let you know how it goes...thanks much to everyone again!
Old March 18, 2013, 01:41 PM   #33
ViktorC

"alignment of the case" is something I did think of, also very possible...I am using Lee 4 hole turret press and if it's out of alignment I can see case coming out like that...I always make sure that case is pushed all the way into the shell holder to have it entering the die straight up...but that wouldn't avoid this scrapes if the turret itself is not aligned ...which I was not able to see
Old March 20, 2013, 06:19 PM   #34
steelman762

Do you have a standard set or the carbide resizer die set? You can send the die to LEE and they will correct or replace the die free of charge. Don't try to correct the problem yourself unless its obvious. LEE recommends that you wash the dies out with detergent and hot water and letting them dry before using them to flush out the machine oil or any little milling particles left behind from machining.
Old March 20, 2013, 08:29 PM   #35
Sport45

Is the seating die contacting the shell holder? If it is, back it way out! It should only be turned in 1/2 turn (at most) after the crimp ring touches the top of a sized case.

Put a factory round in your shell holder. Back the seating die way out of the press. Back the seating stem way out of the die. Raise the ram to the top of its stroke and hold it there. Screw the seating die in until it sets firmly on the case and snug down the lock ring. Turn the seating stem down until it firmly contacts the bullet.

This will put you very close to being set with your rounds. If you have to move the seating die more that 1/2 turn from there something is wrong.
Old April 1, 2013, 12:00 PM   #36
damnyankee20

Viktor, I just had the same issue. I discovered my shell holder accumulated quite a bit of dirt/dust.

When I slid the brass in to shell holder to start reloading, the dirt/dust obstructed the brass from sliding fully into the holder. This not only caused that little scrape that you see on pic 1, but after I seated the bullet and crimped it, there was oh-so-slight bulge on one side of the brass as well. All because the brass was not fully slid into the shell holder.

Take a toothpick/paper towel and clean your shell holder to see if that resolves your issue. It resolved mine.

Oh, and for the Lee Factory Crimp Die? My FCD also caused a few scrapes like pic 1 as well, so I bought the Lee Taper Crimp Die and swapped them out. I haven't had one issue with the new Taper Crimp Die. And like your dies, I didn't have burrs or anything else wrong with them either.

Good luck - I hope you resolve your issues!

DY

Last edited by damnyankee20; April 1, 2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old April 1, 2013, 12:34 PM   #37
jcwit

I did not read this whole thread but, and there is that little 3 letter word.

If you are getting scratches on a case you do not have a scratched die.

Is not a scratch a groove in the case?

Is not a scratch a groove in a die?

Now explain to me how a groove in a die can produce a groove in a case?
Old April 1, 2013, 03:04 PM   #38
Fire_Moose

Re: Lee sizing die leaves scratches on 9 mm brass, how safe ?

The metal from the groove in the die needs to go somewhere to have a groove. Its moves to the edge of the groove in a die creating a raised area.
Old April 1, 2013, 05:35 PM   #39
jcwit

Oh Really?

So if I take a bar of steel and hit it with a ball peen hammer it will have a reised edge?

Neh, don't happen, the material compresses.

Better yet, take a hardened steel punch and scratch the bar, no raised edges there either.

Now if you use a center punch and hit it with a hammer you will get raised edges. Sorta the shock treatment.

Last edited by jcwit; April 1, 2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old April 1, 2013, 07:04 PM   #40
damnyankee20

I agree this isn't a scratch in the die. And it isn't a burr in the die. A scrape that wide tells me to first check shell seat to see if there's debris in it which is preventing the brass case from being perfectly centered as the ram powers it up into the die. If the brass case is just a smidge off-center, pushing the ram up will cause the brass case to scrape the rim of the die as it slides up into it. With the case a smidge off center, seating a bullet will cause the slight bullet bulge on the side. I'm 99% sure this is what is happening here - as it happened to me yesterday.
Old April 1, 2013, 10:20 PM   #41
dacaur

Quote:
Oh Really?

So if I take a bar of steel and hit it with a ball peen hammer it will have a reised edge?
Actualy, yea, have you ever tried it? The metal that is moved to create the dent you put in it with the hammer has to go someplace, and steel doesnt "compress" (at least, not from a hammer swung by a human)

Give it a try and put a straight edge on it, you are in for a surprise