The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 30, 2005, 09:33 PM   #1
kirbymagnum

17 hmr

People say the 17 hmr can make crows go up in feathers and make rabbits at 100 yrds look like they have been hit with a grenade. I find this hard to believe after watching dog be gone when the pdogs were shot with the 17 hmr they jumped a little. But i really only read this on RFC lots of the other forums say they were disappointed by the effect it had on animals. Some of the people claim to shoot and hit thumbtacks at 100 yrds and have a 86% hit rate and at 150 yrds a 60% hit rate and 200 a 12.5% hit rate. If there was even a 5 mph wind the 17 hmr would get pushed 2 inches at 100 yrds and I'm sure that would effect how you could hit those tiny tacks. So is the 17 hmr really what people say it is?

Sorry if a offend anyone i don't mean to.
Old December 31, 2005, 09:32 PM   #2
stevelyn

Yup, pretty close. One of the guys I work with has a Marlin in .17 HMR with a BSA Sweet 17 scope on it. On our days off we go out hunting tundra squirrells(sp?) in the summer. It litterally turns the little rats inside out.
He created a sewing job on a mink pelt rather than letting me shoot it with a
.22 short. Then about 2 weeks ago we were out fox hunting and he killed a fox at about 100 yrds with one shot with only early morning twilight and a spotlight to light up his eyes. The fox started to run after being hit and just fell over.
The original 17 grain CCI TNTs are a little more destructive than the 20 grain Gamepoints, but they're still devastating and tend to leave big holes in good fur at close range.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old December 31, 2005, 10:25 PM   #3
HOKIEHUNTER

haha somebody's a member of RFC!!! i shot squirrels today with my hmr. i shot 2 in the heads which were no longer attached when i got there, shot one in the gut point blank and didn't have to clean him, shot one in the back facing away and it cut off both legs, and the last one i just grazed the back of and he made it into a dead tree.

birds disappear.

are you annoyed with brad at rfc? the "tack post" is ridiculous. it is VERY plausible that you could knock 4 tacks out with 6 hmr shots. VERY PLAUSIBLE!!! brad likes to heae himself talk and the only words he knows are suhl, usrb, and impossbile.

the 86% on the tacks may be hard to believe, but not knowing anything about the guy's setup / conditions / skill i can't make a final judgement.

moral of the story is that a stock hmr will beat a stock .22 in accuracy just about every day of the week. it's a devasting little round and as match barrels and ammo come out it'll put those match .22's to shame. brad may diasagree with me and may build himself up while doing so, but hey, to each his own. all i know is mine is incredibly accurate and shooting it is addictive as all get out.
Old January 1, 2006, 11:03 AM   #4
Long Path

Uh, what's RFC?
Old January 1, 2006, 11:31 AM   #5
9mm1033

I bought a Marlin 17VS for varmints. I experienced very-very good accuracy (scoped) for my 100 yard sight-in distance. On squirrels it worked fine. But, on fox and chunkie groundhogs, not that great on body shots. Oh, they died, but not after rolling and kicking a bit. On windy days, it stayed in the gun locker. I stepped up to a .243 when shooting into a crosswind. I traded it away. Not too disappointed either.
Old January 1, 2006, 11:33 AM   #6
ffxmike

RFC = www.rimfirecentral.com

Message board dedicated to rimfire.
Old January 1, 2006, 08:22 PM   #7
tinman

I've tried the 17hmr on groundhogs. The hog was thirty yards, quartering towards. The shot entered just behind the jawbone and into the chestcavity. Since it was a hog, no dressing was required and couldn't say what happened inside, only that the bullet never exited. IMO, the 17 is fine for small varmint, it shoots fairly flat, but is bucked by the wind. I'll keep mine, and use it accordingly. When the wind is up, guess the 30/06 fills the gap. Definately know when you hit a hog with it.
Old January 1, 2006, 09:02 PM   #8
kirbymagnum

First time shooting the 17 hmr today I was impressed can that thing shoot. At 150 yrds shooting pop cans with filled with water never think about doing that with my 22lr. The 17hmr is really accurate flat and is a tack driver but i still don't think a 86% hit rate is that realistic unless you have a big scope to see the tacks and a calm day. Ya that thread was annoying.
Old January 3, 2006, 08:20 PM   #9
kirbymagnum

Do you think it is enough for beaver at 20-50 yrds my .22lr killed it after some flopping. Would the bullet selection be necessary or would the v-max do just fine?
Old January 4, 2006, 04:27 PM   #10
tinman

There sure isn't much selection out there for the 17. The v-max will be fine, but shot placement is crucial. I've put a 3x9 on mine, and it's ok. I would't mind a bigger objective though, as it's hard to pick them out in the shadows sometimes.

If you can't shoot quality, try quantity.
Old January 4, 2006, 04:29 PM   #11
kirbymagnum

Thanks for the info guys.

tinman,
Where would a well placed shot be on a beaver ( Head) anywhere els?
Old January 4, 2006, 09:59 PM   #12
duck911

I LOVE my .17 HMR. I think it's the perfect gun for anything prairie dog sized out to 175 yards, and anything chuck sized and under, below 100 yards.

Just remember the bullet is LIGHT and although it has great terminal performance on the right target at the right ranges, IMHO it's too light for heavier varmints past 100 and especially in the wind.

My experience is as follows: I'd estimate that can keep 80% of my shots on a coke can at 175 yards and 100% of my shots on a cola can at 100 yards. My scope is a cheap bushnell and I only consider myself a very average shot.

Shots out to 200 are doable but you gotta hold WAY over!

If I'm hunting p-dogs or squirrels or plinking out to 175 I love my .17. But if the game is chucks or anything bigger than that and past 100 yards, I reach for my .204!
Old January 4, 2006, 10:11 PM   #13
kirbymagnum

What does IMHO mean?
Old January 4, 2006, 10:15 PM   #14
duck911

In my humble opinion
Old January 5, 2006, 01:55 PM   #15
kingudaroad

A lot of folks complain about the cost of 17hmr ammo compared to .22. In my opinion its apples and oranges. The 17hmr is a better round in every aspect and in this case you get what you pay for.
Old January 5, 2006, 02:11 PM   #16
Fish Head

kIMBER CONVERSION

Kimber makes a 17 conversion for their 1911s. Does anyone have any experience with them? I have seen them listed for ~$350. I have the 22 conversion and just wondered how the 17 would function in the 1911????

FH
Old January 5, 2006, 06:08 PM   #17
bodab

you caught me..i'm also a memeber of RFC and the .17 is one BAD round! it'll kill rabbits well past 100yrds! I use mine mainly for killing targets but every now and then i'll get it after varmints and it does what its made for...
Old January 5, 2006, 07:15 PM   #18
OneInTheChamber

HEY DUCK; get a BSA sweet 17. They have a bullet drop compensator. No more guess work. Dial in the yardage, it moves the crosshairs appropriately. I love mine.

Chase
Old January 5, 2006, 09:33 PM   #19
duck911

Not a big BSA fan but the general concept sounds good to me. Can anyone tell me more about the sweet 17 and hoiw well it hols up? Are the clicks repeatable?

--Duck911
Old January 6, 2006, 08:28 AM   #20
Long Path

Quote:
you caught me..i'm also a memeber of RFC and the .17 is one BAD round! it'll kill rabbits well past 100yrds! I use mine mainly for killing targets but every now and then i'll get it after varmints and it does what its made for...
That's it?

In May, I watched Rich and new friend Ashley drop rabbits with such regularity at 100 to 140 yards with Ashley's Kimber .22 LR, that I had to borrow it and try it myself. With Winchester .22 LR ammo and an accurate rifle, one-shot 100 yard+ kills on jackrabbits were pretty common over that weekend, with cottontails being no big deal. I frankly had to extend what I considered the useful range of a .22 LR. You mean the .17 HMR only equals that? Honestly, I've never played with them. It looks like they're extremely flat, but the energy drops off very fast, and with such a light little bullet, you've got little but energy (i.e.: velocity) to go on.

At $11 or $12 a box for 500 round bricks of higher quality ammo, the amount of joyful shooting with .22 LR cannot be underrated. For my purposes, the issue is apples to apples-- how much shooting can I do?
Old January 6, 2006, 07:00 PM   #21
bodab

i would go to the RFC site and look around if i were you but everyone over there said that the BSA sweet 17 wasnt a real good scope so i have been holding off buying one. also go to varmintal.com and he has all the info on the .17 your could every need, even chats that compare the .22lr and .22 mag with the .17
Old January 6, 2006, 08:25 PM   #22
shureshot0471

I will say this that the .17 hmr is that fast and It will put crows up in feathers next time we do it I will make viedo of it and put it on here
- Ted Nugent
Old January 6, 2006, 09:58 PM   #23
duck911

Past 100 yards the results won't be "explosive" (the FUN part about owning a ,17!) but the .22's results are not real explosive at ANY range.

But I think it's reasonable to expect 1 shot kills on rabbit sized game (and under) in the 150-175 yard range with a 17. At least, that's been my experience. And whereas with my .22 have to hold *inches* high, at 150 yards I hold dead on with my .17. I am consistantly shocked and amazed at the accuracy of my .17. There is overlap between the .17 and the .22, but in my opinion it's like the overlap between a .243 and 30-06. Each have their place, each can do some of what the other can, but there a right time for each, too.