The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 25, 2017, 11:06 AM   #1
Grits

What Usually Happens

I have bought a lot of pistols, shotguns, and rifles and never bought one that had a defect right out of the box until yesterday. Without going into what kind it is I will just say it I bought a pistol that will not allow you to field strip it. I just got it home last night and was just trying to field strip it because it had a lot of oil on it from the manufacturer. Of course it has never been shot. I would like to know what usually happens in a case like this. Should the seller trade it for another gun, will I have to send it off myself back to the manufacturer and incur shipping cost ? What should I expect, or demand ?

Thanks
Old June 25, 2017, 11:19 AM   #2
FITASC

How is it that you cannot field strip the gun? What does the owner's manual say?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 25, 2017, 11:46 AM   #3
Mal H
Staff

Right. First of all, why not say exactly what brand and model it is? Maybe someone here has experience with the model and can give some guidance.

Is the inability to field strip it a problem with that particular pistol or is it inherent in the overall design? And what do you mean by "field strip"? Some pistols don't like being striped to the bare bones by other than a qualified armorer. Can the slide be removed from the frame, and the barrel from the slide, etc.?
Old June 25, 2017, 01:49 PM   #4
Grits

I should have been more explicit in my first post. It is not a matter of not knowing how to do something , it is a problem with the pistol. It is a simple procedure - removing the mag, racking and locking back the slide, turning the slide release lever clockwise and then pulling off the slide. The problem is the slide lever release cannot be turned to where it will release the slide. You can only turn it about an 1/8 of an inch. It is hung up or bent not allowing it to operate. The only hope of moving it would be with mechanical assistance and it don't want to do that with a new gun. For one thing, I will probably scratch it for sure. What I want to know is how this problem of a defect right out of the box is customarily handled by a dealer. Does his liability in the problem stop when a person walks out the door with the gun, or should one expect a new gun once a person proves to the dealer it was an in the box defect.

Thanks
Old June 25, 2017, 01:56 PM   #5
Cheapshooter

Don't be shy, or protective of some brand that is supposed to be the epitome of excellence.
If you say exactly what it is you have a much better chance of getting help. Enough knowledge people on here to have either experienced and corrected the same issue, or have a good idea on what you need to do.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old June 25, 2017, 02:05 PM   #6
NoSecondBest

The fact that you can't take it apart doesn't make it a "defect". Someone put it together, so there has to be a way to get it apart. Not naming the gun seems silly. What's more silly is not calling the manufacturer before getting on here and asking a question without providing any information. Why don't you just call the manufacturer's customer service dept and tell them you can't take their gun apart. If it's supposed to come apart they will assist you in doing so.
Old June 25, 2017, 02:06 PM   #7
Grits

I was really looking for what you would expect from a dealer in a case like this. I know the gun in screwed up and I am not going to try to fix it my self. I just bought it new yesterday, but I will know in the morning because I will call the dealer. I just bought the gun before the store closed yesterday and they are not open on Sunday. Just trying to see what the expectations of the rest of you might be with respect to the dealer.
Old June 25, 2017, 02:19 PM   #8
Cheapshooter

Why the the big secrecy about the gun? What is it?
Old June 25, 2017, 02:24 PM   #9
old bear

Grits, I've never had anything like your describing, so all I can suggest is start by returning it to the retailer. Perhaps there is some secret step in the field stripping process you missed. If it's is new and unfired I would hope the retailer would exchange it or offer a full refund. If you paid for it with a credit card and the retailer is unwilling to assist you, you have the option of disputing the charges. I've only disputed a C/C charge once, not with a firearm, and my C/C company supported me 100%.

Keep us posted, please.
Old June 25, 2017, 02:36 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The problem is the slide lever release cannot be turned to where it will release the slide.
I don't care what make, or model it is, it would be nice to know, but it doesn't matter, in this case.

ANY gun that is bought new and does not operate in the manner indicated in the owner's manual is DEFECTIVE. It should be returned to the maker for repair or replacement under warranty. PERIOD.

Take it back to the dealer you bought it from, and ask for assistance. OR deal direct with the maker, either way, it needs to be fixed.

Do make sure that the problem is the gun, not the user, though. I know one handgun that has a "lock" button on the takedown lever, which must be depressed or the lever will not move. make sure you are doing everything correctly, per the instruction manual, and if you are, and the gun still won't allow proper function, it needs to go back.

Call the maker, and explain what is happening. Follow their instructions about returning it. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIX IT yourself. DO NOT have a gunsmith fix it, unless you want to let the maker off the hook for their warranty responsibility.
Old June 25, 2017, 02:37 PM   #11
JWT

Having difficulty understanding the secrecy of the gun make, but that's another issue. If you can't take it apart take it back where you bought it and ask them to show you how to disassemble it. If they can't do it have them send it back to the manufacturer for repair.
Old June 25, 2017, 02:44 PM   #12
TXAZ

44 AMP gave good advice for any product that doesn't perform as described:
Quote:
Take it back to the dealer you bought it from, and ask for assistance.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old June 25, 2017, 03:07 PM   #13
jetinteriorguy

Take it back to the dealer, most states have lemon laws that give the consumer a set amount of working days to seek a refund from a business when a product is defective. Check your states lemon laws and see what they say, most states say 3 working days but it can vary. Once armed with this information you know your legal rights and what is required of a business to comply with the law, but time is of the essence in a situation like this.
Old June 25, 2017, 04:28 PM   #14
JoeSixpack

sounds like he is ashamed he bought a hi-point.

That's what comes to my mind anyway.. Unless they've changed mine came almost dripping wet and requires a punch to strip it (roll pin).

Fit's the description.
If that's the case the MFG only recommends stripping like every 500-1k rounds.. they run real loose on top but it's no big deal cause the barrel is fixed to the frame anyway.

If the gun wont strip because it's some how BROKEN.. Then take it back to dealer if local.. otherwise you'll probably have to ship to mfg which may or may not eat the shipping.
Old June 25, 2017, 04:32 PM   #15
Bob Wright

So far as I know most states allow some time, such as ten days, or maybe thirty days, that an item may be returned to the seller for full credit. In some cases, no defect is necessary for the return, just dissatisfied with the product.

Bob Wright
Old June 25, 2017, 05:17 PM   #16
g.willikers

Grits, is this a model you have prior experience with?
It only makes sense to first take it back to the dealer and see what they want to do.
They might even be able to fix it.
Old June 25, 2017, 06:19 PM   #17
Grits

g.willikers I plan to do just what you suggested and take it back tomorrow and show them the problem and let them compare it with another one they have in stock. It is a 40 mile drive for me but maybe I can find something else I need when I go back. I will get back to you and let you know how it turns out. Mr. SixPack it was $ 604.00 dollars with tax so I don't consider that a cheepo I don't like to complain online about any gun problems related to manufacturer. You might be able to guess what it is by the price and the manner in which it has to be field stripped. It is stricker fired and I will give you another hint IT IS NOT A GLocK, Even though I have a few Glocks I wish I had bought another last night and maybe I would be out shooting and not asking questions on this Forum But I am sure when I get this one fixed or get another I will like it as well as my Glocks.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old June 25, 2017, 07:45 PM   #18
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Mr. SixPack it was $ 604.00 dollars with tax so I don't consider that a cheepo I don't like to complain online about any gun problems related to manufacturer.
It would not be complaining to let other TFL members know what gun it is. It very well might save you that 40 mile trip. Someone may have an easy fix for your problem. But you won't know keeping the make and model cloaked in secrecy. Looking for information on a particular gun that you are having a problem with is not complaining.
Old June 25, 2017, 07:52 PM   #19
FITASC

Quote:
It would not be complaining to let other TFL members know what gun it is. It very well might save you that 40 mile trip. Someone may have an easy fix for your problem. But you won't know keeping the make and model cloaked in secrecy. Looking for information on a particular gun that you are having a problem with is not complaining.
+1
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 25, 2017, 07:53 PM   #20
cslinger

Sounds like a SIG. if so the take down lever should be fairly easy to move but I have had a few when new that were very stiff

The only others that come to mind are the XD series which like the SiG I have seen be stiff at first. Also with the XD and striker guns in general you need to release the striker / pull trigger. ( make sure clear, safe direction, bullets go through walls you know the drill)

If it's an HK VP9 the lever should move very easily.

That's all I got.
Old June 25, 2017, 11:12 PM   #21
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I don't like to complain online about any gun problems related to manufacturer.
This is, of course, your right. We encourage people to describe their problems, and how they get resolved. Whether or not you get good faith service from the maker and the retailer you bought it from.

Stating what is, what the gun does, or doesn't do, and what the people you deal with about it do, or don't do, isn't complaining. it's sharing experience.

Whining or going on a rant about how all a maker's products are junk, because yours jammed when you fired it upside down, under water, is complaining! And we do discourage that.
Old June 26, 2017, 12:43 AM   #22
Cheapshooter

^
Exactly!!!
Old June 26, 2017, 05:30 AM   #23
UncleEd

Sorry, but this whole thread about a "mystery gun" seems so stupid.

The OP has dodged naming the gun several times and no good reason exists except he's having a jolly good time stringing along well-meaning forum members.

Last edited by UncleEd; June 26, 2017 at 05:57 AM.
Old June 26, 2017, 06:38 AM   #24
FITASC

He said it was a new gun. New guns come with owner's manuals. Owner manuals tell you the what and how to field strip the gun- if deemed necessary by the maker.

Something just doesn't jive.....
Old June 26, 2017, 07:43 AM   #25
shootbrownelk

I also don't get the OP's desire to keep the manufacturer a "Big Secret". What the heck is it. If you wanted help, the experts here need particulars.