The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 16, 2017, 04:30 PM   #1
TruthTellers

LCRx: Doom for the SP101?

Since it seems Ruger is continuing to add to the LCRx line with the .357 and .22 models being released this year, the future of the SP seems uncertain. If you were given a comparable choice both the lcrx and sp101, which would u choose and why?

Personally, I would choose the LCRx over the SP for everything except a .357 with a sub 3 inch barrel. I prefer the lighter weight but for that small a gun, the extra heft of the sp is nice. Besides that, Ruger can drop the 4 inch SP's and start making Lcr's w/ the 4 inch barrels.
Old June 16, 2017, 05:02 PM   #2
Damon555

I'd personally choose the SP....The LCR line is most unappealing to me. I guess it's the traditionalist in me....the LCR's are downright ugly. I also like the heft of the SP's. It might not be ideal for carry but it sure feels good in the hand.

But of course that's just my opinion at the moment. My tastes in handguns change monthly it seems......
Old June 16, 2017, 05:17 PM   #3
Waspinator

Nope. The SP is for the larger calibers and the LCRx is for the smaller calibers. Although they have .357 mag LCRx, it is only 9 oz lighter than the all stainless SP101... not enough weight reduction to warrant going with that platform, in my opinion. Personally, I agree with Damon555, the LCR/LCRx line is ugly as ugly gets.

I carry a 2.25" Sp101 .357 daily and have no problems with the weight.
Old June 16, 2017, 05:22 PM   #4
Screwball

LCRx: Doom for the SP101?

When I move, I would consider picking up a LCRx in 9mm... hope Ruger would offer it.

The SP101 is nice, but owning an Airweight for so many years... I rather a lighter revolver.
Old June 16, 2017, 05:46 PM   #5
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
When I move, I would consider picking up a LCRx in 9mm... hope Ruger would offer it.

The SP101 is nice, but owning an Airweight for so many years... I rather a lighter revolver.
That's something I'd prefer in the sp over the lcrx... A 9mm. The lightness of the lcr doesn't help to ward off crimp jump, but the sp would.

But then the argument shifts to "why not just get the .357 then?" Which i can't help but agree on.
Old June 16, 2017, 06:11 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

People seem to get so up tight with Ruger when they discontinue an old inefficient design for a new one with streamlined manufacturing and more cost effective materials. I don't get why as it doesn't seem to be nearly such a big deal with the other manufacturers.

I'm not buying a small revolver to show off. LCRx would work for me.
The SP in 22lr with a longer barrel has caught my attention a few times.
Old June 16, 2017, 06:17 PM   #7
Deaf Smith

The only real advantage of the SP101 is shooting magnums! Yes real magnums.

If you are gonna just shoot .38s, get something way lighter. But for magnum and +p+ shooting the weight of the SP101 does come in handy.

Deaf
Old June 16, 2017, 06:28 PM   #8
Slimjim9

I wouldn't be so quick to sound the SPs death knell, but I get what you're saying. For me, I just can't bring myself to get the SP. I can pocket carry the LCR357 which I couldn't do with the SP and if I want to shoot magnums, I'd rather use my GP100
Old June 16, 2017, 06:57 PM   #9
BigMikey76

I really dont think the LCR will take the place of the SP101. They are targeted toward different demographic segments of the market, which means they dont necessarily have to compete with each other. Of couse, they will compete where the segments overlap, but traditional "revolver guys" are still likely to choose the SP, which protects its place in the market. Just by looking at the small cross section represented by reapondents to this thread, 1/4 of them, so far, have reaponded regarding how ugly they find the LCR.
The SP101 isn't disappearing any time soon.
Old June 16, 2017, 07:09 PM   #10
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
That's something I'd prefer in the sp over the lcrx... A 9mm. The lightness of the lcr doesn't help to ward off crimp jump, but the sp would.

But then the argument shifts to "why not just get the .357 then?" Which i can't help but agree on.

My 9mm converted 642-1 is lighter than both... no issues at all.

If you are using ammo that jumps within 4 rounds (5 round cylinder), might want to try different ammo. For defensive ammo, the crimp on Hornady 9mm is actually good to go, in regards to a revolver. My carry ammo is HXT 147 grain... which has a muzzle velocity about the same as .38 +P Hornady CD (110 grain). I also never had an issue with UMC bulk (115 grain) for practice ammo. TheYankeeMarshal did a nice test of different ammo brands in regards to crimp jump.

Personally, don't care what others feel about a 9mm revolver. I care what I feel about them... and judging I have one, I feel pretty good about it.

Why not .357 Magnum? Because it is easier to carry 9mm in moon clips than similar reloads in .357 Magnum. Shorter case, less of a chance of hanging up on reloads. Performance is pretty good, and even though I don't run 9mm +P in my J-frame (Airweight), you see better velocities out of 9mm +P in a 2" barrel than .357 Magnum (check comparisons on Ballistics by the Inch). Standard pressure 9mm is on par with .38 +P in the same barrel length... with a heavier bullet.
Old June 16, 2017, 09:26 PM   #11
ThomasT

I think the LCR guns are butt ugly. I did look one over at Academy once and once was good enough for me. For light weight I have a new 442. I have an SP 101 and have no plans sell it. Plus my youngest son has laid claim to it the minute I croak. I think my sons have been secretly dividing up my guns.
Old June 16, 2017, 11:16 PM   #12
Dane17

I'm definitely a big stainless revolver guy. Love that we now have a second option in Roger for an 8 shot 357.

Having said that the lcr 327 was the perfect piece for my cramped car glovebox. It's nice to have options.
Old June 16, 2017, 11:26 PM   #13
DPris
Member Emeritus

The LCR is no threat to the SP.
Denis
Old June 16, 2017, 11:31 PM   #14
Cirdan

Personally, I had an LCR in .38 and absolutely hated it. Sold it and got a SP101 and for me, it's night and day. I'll keep the SP.
Old June 17, 2017, 12:40 AM   #15
bamaranger

maybe

Ruger has consistently moved towards introducing firearms that cheaper to produce, while eliminating those that do not yield profit to the degree they desire. Consider the introduction of the American series .22, and the demise of the 77/22 family. Another example of this, to a lesser degree, is the polished blue of the early 77 and then 77MkII yield to the matte finish of the Hawkeye. We all had older Ruger favorites that are now gone.

With this pattern, I think it is entirely possible that the short barreled, SP101's could go, overtaken by the LCr's
Old June 17, 2017, 01:18 AM   #16
Cosmodragoon

I actually like the looks of the LCR. It looks like what it is and I'm not sure what else I'd want from a gun that is so small and light yet so controllable and comfortable to shoot with reasonable loads. I'd love to see this line continue to expand, both with and without hammers.

Might that limit development within the SP101 line? Certainly. Will it be wiped out? Probably not, or at least not anytime in the near future. Just as people still like the traditional Redhawk or any of the wide variety of single-action revolvers Ruger keeps making, I think there are enough of us who like steel in slender packages. Of course, the SP101 could benefit from an improved factory trigger...
Old June 17, 2017, 01:26 AM   #17
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
Ruger has consistently moved towards introducing firearms that cheaper to produce, while eliminating those that do not yield profit to the degree they desire. Consider the introduction of the American series .22, and the demise of the 77/22 family. Another example of this, to a lesser degree, is the polished blue of the early 77 and then 77MkII yield to the matte finish of the Hawkeye. We all had older Ruger favorites that are now gone.

With this pattern, I think it is entirely possible that the short barreled, SP101's could go, overtaken by the LCr's
Just the short barrel SP's? I would think given their heft and thus recoil dampening, but small size that they'd stick around. I mean, what good is a 4 inch .22 or .357 SP when you can get a 3 inch GP100 with an extra round and the3 inch .22 LCRx?
Old June 17, 2017, 01:32 AM   #18
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmodragon
Just as people still like the traditional Redhawk or any of the wide variety of single-action revolvers Ruger keeps making, I think there are enough of us who like steel in slender packages.
The Redhawk is a large frame, large caliber, high power revolver. That's not a fair comparison.

The single actions from the Bearcat to the Super Blackhawk have various features or quirks that make them popular and the Ruger single action's aren't exactly based around self defense or conceal carry like the SP101 and LCR lines are.
Old June 17, 2017, 06:13 AM   #19
mk70ss

I dont want a polymer revolver. I will stick with steel.
Old June 17, 2017, 12:53 PM   #20
FrankenMauser

I have an LCR and an SP101 with the same chambering.
Each has its place.

While it's entirely possible that Ruger could discontinue the SP101 with no notice (it has been done before), I think there are still enough people out there that don't like polymer revolvers to keep the line in production.

When I want light and fairly compact, I grab the LCR.
When I want accuracy and a little more recoil mitigation, I grab the SP101.
Even if the LCR was an LCRx, I would still prefer the SP101 for work requiring accuracy or full-power loads.
Old June 17, 2017, 01:04 PM   #21
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers
"The future of the SP seems uncertain..."
In whos opinion? Yours? I doubt the LCR will ever replace the SP. The LCR may be a fine revolver(I own one) but its a hideous plastic new concept that not everyone has jumped to grab. It has sold well I'm sure, but the SP is an icon when considering a small, steel revolver. The LCR has a long way to go to reach that status
Old June 17, 2017, 06:04 PM   #22
Dirtbag

I didn't even like shooting 357 outta my SP101, it was 38+P after my teeth started vibrating and my finger blistered. Now I shoot 357 out of a GP100 only. I have yet to try the ugly LCR, but I hear its got a nice trigger.
Old June 17, 2017, 06:19 PM   #23
seeker_two

In full-power .357Mag, I'll take the SP-101 every time. But, I'm considering a LCR .357Mag as a CCW using .38SPL ammo. The .38SPL LCR is just too light to shoot well.

With Colt and Kimber introducing steel-frame revolvers and S&W continuing their steel revolver production, I don't see Ruger discontinuing the SP line anytime soon.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk
Old June 17, 2017, 06:20 PM   #24
johnwilliamson062

Without knowing the sales volume or margin on the SP v. LCRx I don't know how any of you could possibly make such predictions.
Generally speaking blue/stainless steel and wood gun margin's are lower than synthetic and other finish guns. Ruger will go with what makes more money.

I worked at a shop with a product that was decades old and involved some old custom tooling. Started to have problems with it and we were told the product line was done when it went. Margins and volume were low and they wouldn't invest into replacing the tooling. Sure enough, the tooling gives out and they send all the extra parts to the service center and that is the end of the show.
Old June 17, 2017, 08:39 PM   #25
Kreyzhorse

Two different games I don't see any threat to the SP.