The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 30, 2017, 05:59 PM   #1
ninosdemente

Savage 111 30-06 Upgrades/Accessories

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and as a gun enthusiast.

A few weeks ago I purchased a Savage 111 30-06 with Nikon 3-9x40 BDC scope. Are there any upgrades/accessories for this rifle? I have been checking on line have not found much accessories. I just purchased a bipod for when I go to the range.

Is the scope that comes with it, good or is there a better one? I know Nikon as a hobby photographer but not sure for a rifle scope.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you in advanced.
Old May 30, 2017, 06:06 PM   #2
jmr40

You don't need many accessories other than ammo. The Bi-pod is OK, just don't get caught up too much with useless stuff.

Nikon makes several grades of scopes, the one that comes on the package rifles is a decent scope, but on the lower end. If I were buying one for it I'd pay a little more for something slightly better. But that one is good enough that I'd not swap it out either. Use it for a while and if you decide something better is wanted you can buy later.

Save your money for ammo for now and enjoy shooting it.

Winston Churchill
Old May 30, 2017, 07:59 PM   #3
bedlamite

What kind of stock? If it's plastic I'd swap it out for a Boyd's. Bedding the action would help too. The Nikon ProStaff it comes with is a budget scope. It'll work, but there are a lot better available. I've bought a few Savage rifles over the years and the Nikon always gets replaced with something better. Figure out what you want from it before you replace it.
Old May 31, 2017, 12:40 AM   #4
ninosdemente

Thank you jmr40 and bedlamite for the input. I did get a chance to shoot it, still have a lot of practicing to do. I checked out the site at Boyds and they have some nice stocks. Something to look forward in the future.

For the scope two different people at different shops said the scope was good, never mentioned they were low end Nikon scopes. Then again they were trying to sell me the gun, so can't be surprised. Will hold off on the scope for now and see how it works out for me. I have a couple .22LR rifles that need a scope anyways.

Thanks again for the input.
Old May 31, 2017, 01:50 AM   #5
stagpanther

I've done a "stiffee" job on all the axis and 111's that I have bought by filling the channels in the forend with marinetex and then popping the buttstock pad off and filling it something like envirotex. They've all shot better after that and allowed the barrel to freefloat without contacting the forend area. Just a "home remedy for cheapskates ."
Old May 31, 2017, 09:57 AM   #6
PlatinumCore16

My brother has that exact rifle and is very happy with it. As you are just getting into shooting, I wouldn't suggest ANY modifications except for your chosen bipod. Just remember that if you are shooting at the range, don't place the bipod on a hard surface. It will jump all over the place and you will not get the accuracy you are looking for. If you are target shooting at the range, either use a different rest, or put something malleable under the bipod (sand bag, just lay prone on the dirt, anything that will give a little as opposed to concrete/wood).
Old May 31, 2017, 10:52 AM   #7
stagpanther

Quote:
As you are just getting into shooting, I wouldn't suggest ANY modifications except for your chosen bipod.
True that--I missed that he was brand new to rifles. I'd skip the home-mods.
Old May 31, 2017, 12:00 PM   #8
GeauxTide

I second the emotion on Boyd's. I have the Prairie Hunter on my Savage 16 260, Rem 700 280 and 338-06 (All LH). They fit perfectly and shoot lights out.
Old May 31, 2017, 12:23 PM   #9
ninosdemente

Thank you all for the help again.

PlatinumCore16, the range I go to only has wooden benches so it seems that I will need to get an alternate rest. Any suggestions for this?

I had bought a Caldwell Lead Sled Solo Rifle Shooting Rest during last year's black Friday. I used it when I took to the range. It jumped a lot and I was more frustrated as I was readjusting after every shot. Did not have much fun, but at least I was able to shoot and feel the rifle. In other words, I did not know any better. Amateur move I guess!! At least now I know and am learning. Is the lead sled better off used with my Marlin XT-22 and S&W M&P 15-22?

As you mentioned, if I take bipod to range I will have this problem. Are bipods more better or only meant for grass environments?

I bought a caldwell bipod for $38 but did see a Harris (it said benchrest bipod. is there a difference or just worded for marketing?) which was about $50 more. Should I return and get the Harris? I did read that people prefer the Harris over other brands. It also mentioned that they are made better. As I noticed that the bipod "clamps" to the sling stud. Is this something that is of concern with Caldwell's bipod? Will it eventually lose "clamping" strentgh, loosen with time with constant use and the jerking/hitting the surface from the rifle? Thanks in advanced.
Old May 31, 2017, 02:25 PM   #10
stagpanther

I've found almost all of the cheaper rifle sleds to be mostly junk--the more moving parts--the more likely something is going to move throwing your shot IMO. Best bet (again, just my opinion) is get large bag rests that steady the forend and then a couple of different height rear ones to adjust for elevation (unless you plan on doing lots of prone shooting). The problem with the plastic stocks is that the tend to contact your barrel--even under the rifle's own weight when attaching a bipod out front--me personally I wouldn't bother and just get a good (and cheaper) bag rest. Even though the stock may touch the barrel--that's not a huge problem--as long as you seek to have "repeatability" in each successive shot IMO. That means try as best you can to get the forend resting the same way in the same position with each shot--also be aware that even your cheek weld will cause the buttstock area to flex up and down affecting your shot depending on how you do it. Take all those precautions--even without any modifications at all--with that package that rifle is most likely easily capable of well under MOA. Never had a Savage that couldn't.
Old May 31, 2017, 02:58 PM   #11
PlatinumCore16

Bipods are indeed meant for a "soft" medium, aka dirt and grass. You wouldn't want to place the bipod on a rock if you were hunting. Some of this is in the way that bipods are used: usually you preload the bipod or lean into the rifle pushing forward on the bipod. This allows you repeatability and the recoil will not collapse your bipod upon shooting.

I would recommend a good set of bags, as stag mentioned. Sand bags, bags with lead shot, whatever. You can find cheap ones at Walmart, but they are, as I said cheap. You can find inexpensive ones on the internet and at shooting sports stores, though the big box stores will probably have a bit higher price tag. If you invest in some nicer ones, they will serve you well for a long time. As a budget route, you can also use a backpack with clothing in it, it just might not be repeatable but as you are not going for super pinpoint accuracy, it's probably fine.

I am not sure that there is really a difference in the Harris and Caldwell bipods. Someone more experienced than me, please chime in, but I don't think it really matters. The "bench rest" bipod might be shorter, idk. I couldn't tell from their site.

Don't over think your set up and what to buy for it. Spend your money on ammo and range time.
Old May 31, 2017, 04:11 PM   #12
ninosdemente

PlatinumCore16/stagpanther,

Thanks again for the help.

I really don't mind buying items in mid-high price ranges as to not end up spending more later. I have learned in the past that certain items are better off paying more for. I rather pay one time and not worry later. As a beginner shooter, it's a bit overwhelming seeing different products online such as amazon, local stores, larger stores and trying to pick and choose. This only means that I have to do a lot of reading, research and have a lot of patience. Which the patience I have a very difficult time with.

Luckily the range I go to is very cheap and is a one time fee for practically the whole day. Also being in the graphic design field, I get a couple of side jobs to pay for ammo. Which helps out a lot.
Old May 31, 2017, 04:40 PM   #13
stagpanther

What I tried to say was that was with good enough technique--meaning lots of practice, no way around that--your package is very capable as is of delivering excellent accuracy in shooting. Chances are--it will be shooting well ahead of what you're capable of no matter what you equip it with in the beginning. I still have many rifles, maybe most of them, that can shoot well ahead of what I'm capable of. Changing the hardware furniture etc can only help so much until the experience curve catches up IMO.
Old May 31, 2017, 06:40 PM   #14
ninosdemente

Got it. Thanks.
Old May 31, 2017, 07:31 PM   #15
RC20

I will add in the Boyds is a great stock. I go with the Laminated ones, I like the Thumb Hole but shot a composite stock with a sharp drop grip that worked well.

As for accessories, you get one of those big mother bolt handles.

While it can take a bit, the handle comes off (newer ones are not obviously, you have to de-cock out of the gun and there is a hex screw in the back. You can put it on the floor and jump on it to, but I don't)

note you also have to re-cock it to get it back into the receiver, you learn a lot, get the AGA Armors DVD on the gun first.

Before you do it, those can be buggers that take a long hex key with the bolt laid on a towel and a good thump with a rubber hammer.

Now the best accessory is a good barrel. Lother Walther pre fit barrel is my current favorite though they are somewhat limited in caliber choices (no o6) , but the price is under $400 (Varmint contour which is a pretty heavy barrel)

As the Savage barrel is tensioned with a nut you can change barrels to your hearts content (Shilen and Criterion also make very good pre fit barrel, my 06 ids a Shilen, only took 3 months as they don't stock them in pre fit bull in 30-06)

That of course leads you into the action wrench from NSS (and a nut and their hut wrench tool).

Not a lot of 30-06 HBs out there so you are then unusual (also hard to hunt with but target shooting is great)

The new Savages have smooth nuts so you have to take that loose with a pipe wrench (those can be buggers to so you may need a good 12 inch and a cheater bar)

Then you get a rail for the mount, add on a quick release scope mount, add on a NightForce or a good Leopold and then you have yourself one accessories gun.

I started with an older BTH111, stainless barrel, cinnamon thumb hole stock (light weight) 8-32 NF force scope and a Shilen barrel.

Now we have you hooked, you need to buy a couple more Savages to justify that Action Wrench, but they are low cost and eventually you can go into bankruptcy with all the possibilities. It is addictive.

I like my acu trigger but there are others out there so you can change that too.

Or you can buy one of their target guns, but by golly the don't make one in 30-06 (or 7.,5 Swiss neither but that is another story but I will tell you that can be done on a Savage action as well)
Old June 2, 2017, 09:47 PM   #16
ninosdemente

Thanks for the info RC20.
Old June 2, 2017, 10:50 PM   #17
math teacher

You don't need to buy bags. Cut off sections of the legs of an old pair of jeans. Sew one end shut and fill with cheap clay cat litter, not sand which tends to make the bag too hard, then sew the other end shut.
Old June 3, 2017, 12:47 PM   #18
ninosdemente

I actually was looking online on sand bags and did read a lot of people are using clay kitty litter. Thanks.
Old June 3, 2017, 12:52 PM   #19
stagpanther

Quote:
I actually was looking online on sand bags and did read a lot of people are using clay kitty litter. Thanks.
Works great--right up to the point a cat decides to take a leak on your rifle. LOL

sorry--couldn't resist.
Old June 3, 2017, 01:36 PM   #20
Berserker

If you are going to hunt, a better scope at some point. I have package nikon,you can really tell at dusk.

I have a cheap bipod, can be nice to check accuracy, if you don't have a bench. I used to sight scopes in with that and kitchen chair. I still use it for some stuff. Sometimes you want to check or test the gun not you.

After scope, best investment is reloading equipment, to get the best accuracy you can.

But this all depends on how far you will shoot, and what purpose.
Old June 3, 2017, 05:03 PM   #21
tobnpr

OP,

Plenty of us use bipods and a rear bag off a bench. No problem once you learn how to use them correctly.

I'm assuming this is primarily a hunting rifle? Or do you have some serious real estate available at your range?
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old June 3, 2017, 05:23 PM   #22
Berserker

50lb bag of corn works good too. Buy them at the gas station in the fall. Depends on the rifle.
Old June 3, 2017, 06:39 PM   #23
kenny53

Savage makes very nice guns. I would leave it stock including the scope until you see how you want to use the gun for. If it turns out to be plinking what you have is great. Hunting you may want to get a better scope. Long range shooting (1000 yards) you may want a different gun. But just getting started enjoy your savage and shoot safely.
Old June 4, 2017, 10:55 AM   #24
RC20

He just needs a heavy barrel on that Savage.

30-06 is more than capable of 1000+ yards.

That's where it really puts the 308 to shame though it does that in all heavy bullets. That pesky 150 fps an 06 has over 308 pays off.
Old June 5, 2017, 09:15 PM   #25
ninosdemente

Good one stagpanther.

Berserker, when I do have enough experience and handling time, yes I would like to use it for hunting. I guess I have the whole summer to work at it. I would eventually would like to own reloading equipment and learn how to reload.

Tobnpr, yes primarily for hunting.

Kenny53, main purpose is to hunt, but taking to range for just shooting as well. I would one day like to be able to get past 100yds.