The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 18, 2016, 11:25 PM   #1
AzShooter

First match a bust with my 22/45

Today I had the opportunity to try my 22/45 at it's first match. I think the gun must have been nervous because I had jams on two of my 8 mags. Double feeds, that didn't happen during my earlier practice session.

Federal AutoMatch were working 100 % in practice. No so today. I had to take 4 30 second penalties for not finishing the stage do to jams.

I ran the gun dry. Mistake number 1. One of my friends gave me his can of Rem Oil to lube the gun at next to last stage. It helped. I took the gun apart after the match, cleaned it and lubed it for the next session.

I had a new C-More sight on the gun today. It had the small 3 minute dot. Fine for sighting in and bullseye work but too small for fast shooting like in the Steel Challenge. Mistake number 2. I'm going to replaced the dot with a 12 minute so I can find it faster.

I put a Volquartsen Compensator on the gun. Worked well, gave me better groups that when the barrel was plain. Mistake number 3. I should have tried it in my holster before the match. The Compensator would not go into the holster. I had to put the gun in my shooting bag after each stage. Just an inconvenience.

Someone offered me a new holster, and Ernie Hill Speed which I'm going t take and use for the next match. I asked him how much he wanted for it and he said he'd give it to me free. I like the holster for my revolver so I'm sure I will like it for the auto.

I'm going to number all my magazines and see which ones were giving me the problems. I have three new magazines on their way. I'm also going to take them apart and tune them as per that Sticky on the web sight here.

Other than the problems caused by jams it was a good match. Most of my times were faster.

Well, keeping a good attitude and I think I can recover from my mistakes and do better at the next match.

I'm also switching to CCI Mini Mags.
Old December 18, 2016, 11:48 PM   #2
Radny97

My 2245 works best with copper plated ammo. I've ran more than 1000 rounds of about 10 different brands of ammo through mine until I finally found the sweet spot. It likes the copper plated Aguila super extra 40 grain the best. I've gone through more than 600 rounds at a time without a single misfeed. Good luck!
Old December 19, 2016, 12:10 AM   #3
VoodooMountain

I've had bad boxes of auto match. Most of it is good but once in a while I get a bad bunch.

Numbering mags may help too. I've got an mkii that simply will not reliably work from one of my mags.
Old December 19, 2016, 06:11 AM   #4
rebs

MY 22/45 will shoot everything except CCI SV, works flawless with federal auto match. I think the lube on the bullets messes up the magazines.
Old December 19, 2016, 10:47 AM   #5
Jimro

I recommend Mobil1 synthetic grease, use that to lube the sliding parts very lightly. It will turn from red to black very quickly, but keep on providing lubrication long after an oil would get sucked into the carbon and or blown out.

Honestly any medium to lightweight lithium grease (or aluminum grease) will do, I just have had good luck with Mobil1.

Jimro
Old December 19, 2016, 02:29 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Double feeds are usually mag related, not the ammo. It being only "jams on two of my 8 mags." pretty much explains the issue. Look at the lips. Might have gotten bent in a tiny bit. Doesn't take much to make a mag unreliable or to fix it. Needle nosed pliers. Assuming they're steel, of course.
"...going to take them apart and tune them..." Try 'em first.
Old January 6, 2017, 03:37 PM   #7
AzShooter

Took it out today to function test it. Not a good day for accuracy testing, 50 degrees but 30 mile per hour sustained winds. Target frames were breaking all around us. My goal was to test all my magazines and break in the pistol.

I fired 300 rounds of 40 grain CCI Mini Mags with no problems what so ever. I then tried some Remington ammo. Good thing I don't have a lot of it because it started jamming from the first round.

After my last match I decided to tune 5 of my magazines. They all worked flawlessly today. I now have 10 working magazines.

I took the muzzle brake off. The gun wouldn't fit in my holster with it on. Someone promised me a new holster that they no longer use and that should solve my problem. I like having the pistol in a holster instead of bagging it between stages.