The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 13, 2013, 08:30 AM   #1
zincwarrior

Washington State background Bill FAILS

I did not see this posted, sorry if repeat. Some good news: effort to expand background checks and other items failed in the Washington state House.

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2013/03/...n-state-house/
Old March 13, 2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

I find it interesting that they initially considered allowing it to be voted on as a referendum but later decided against it. The upshot? They know it wouldn't pass. If it can't pass by popular vote, is it something the voters really want?
Old March 13, 2013, 12:03 PM   #3
NWPilgrim

That is good news. I grew up in Washington and it has become more divided in terms of politicians (city dominated) versus average Joe (suburb/rural). Glad to see the politicians listened to their constituents and not just jump on the hype bandwagon. Hopefully this sends a warning to other Sate legislatures about the public mood.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 13, 2013, 01:50 PM   #4
JimDandy

Its a mistake of hubris to assume "the public" is with either side on this issue. If it were fully on either side, it would not have been so contentious for so long.
Old March 18, 2013, 11:39 AM   #5
Lark

I was at the House Judiciary hearing along with a few friends, one of whom spoke to the committee. It did not start off so well. The sponsors had amended the bill and failed to publish it or even update the copies they had for the public next to the sign in sheets. The first clue I had that the bill had changed was looking at the summary on the overhead projector. It was completely different.

NRA rep Brian Judy pointed out that dealers and the police can't access NICS for private gun sales. My friend was the last one to speak and expressed his dissappointment that we were not allowed to see the amended bill prior to the hearing and that he had called his local sheriff to be told that he could not obtain a NICS check from them for a private gun sale.

All and all it was a farce to say the least. The video of the hearing can be viewed at the http://tvw.org/archives# site. The section is House Judiciary hearings on Feb 14, but the site is down at the moment.

lark