The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 6, 2007, 10:49 AM   #26
rampage841512

When I'm attending classes I keep a pistol in my car. The first thing I do after getting in my car AND LOCKING MY DOORS, is to put it in an IWB holster. I don't know what advice to give except: Carry your gun, lock your doors after entering your vehicle, and press charges against idiots like the ones you described.
Old October 6, 2007, 11:39 AM   #27
kentak

Are you white? I'm guessing that this group got a big kick out of seeing how a white guy would freak out by believing he was being held up by a "gangster."

Stupid, stupid move. I'm pretty sure he did, in fact, commit a crime by his words and actions. Of course, it's your word against his and his buddies unless a security camera got good footage of the scene.

And, if you did have a gun, and reacted by immediately shooting in response to a perceived threat (the object he presented as a weapon), guess who's ass would be in legal trouble?

I hope you follow up with the police and try to get these orifices prosecuted.

K
Old October 6, 2007, 11:53 AM   #28
The Tourist

The idea of 'intent' is a defense that a defendant may use in court during his trial. That's not a concept or a requirement I need, should or am able to discern.

Clearly, if a guy (of any race or national origin) hops into my F-150 and announces he is committing a crime, then it's my job to make sure he's neutralized immediately. (Yikes, and I have cloth seats. Do you know how hard it's going to be to clean up that mess?)

As for the 'cell phone as weapon' jibberish, I don't care what he's holding. We all know of a mock cell phone that actually fires.

Whether it's a joke, or even if the guy is guilty of a lesser crime, he has no idea on how close he came to dying in that passenger seat.

I hope the idiot reads TFL.
Old October 6, 2007, 12:14 PM   #29
Sarge

What you have here is an 'attempted armed robbery/implied threat of a weapon'. His hand moving toward you, his display of a 'shiny object' and the demand for your wallet all 'seal the deal'. In this jurisdiction you would have been justified in the use of deadly force, until the point where you realized there was no deadly threat.

If the police identify, pick up and question this individual, charges may be filed depending on the DA or Prosecutor. Both his life and yours may get interesting for awhile.

At the very least they can identify and bar him from campus. Sooner or later he'll likely 'get his' anyway. The life expectancy of people who run with these crowds and engage in this conduct, isn't much past 25. Lotsa Darwin awards get handed out to this group.
Old October 6, 2007, 12:21 PM   #30
jrothWA

Immediately...

FILE A POLICE REPORT!!!

You were assaulted. There is no EXCUSE FOR THAT MALE BOVINE MANURE.

This is your decision but either obtain a second sidearm for easier carry (2 or 3" revolver) or carry the present. The tide is turning against the sacred cow of gun free zones.
Old October 6, 2007, 12:29 PM   #31
281 Quad Cam

That's the definition of assault... Report it.
Old October 6, 2007, 12:31 PM   #32
BlackPaladin

Be happy you lived to learn from your mistakes.

As many here have said, if people cross a certain line with their words or deeds, you are in your rights to deal with them.
Old October 6, 2007, 12:42 PM   #33
GalilARM

Guys guys...like I said in the original post, the police are pursuing assault charges, and I already filed a report.
Old October 6, 2007, 01:14 PM   #34
spctim11

Loyola students doing stick-ups for fun

http://blog.nola.com/times-picayune/..._stickups.html
Old October 6, 2007, 01:59 PM   #35
Socrates

I sat by while a kid driving a van hit my car, with both pepper spray and a 357 on my person. I did not fire, or use the pepper spray, even when they jumped back in the van, and fled the scene. I've finally got the info I need, but, I couldn't ID the kid in a photo lineup, and, therefore the police would not proceed. Due to the rapid nature of such situations, many folks have ID problems, and, the bad guys get away.

I find it rather odd that someone can destroy something that you've worked your life to build, and, something you HAVE to have on a daily basis to survive, yet, you can't use force to protect it, or to detain the destroyers, be it house or car.

I think Louisiana has it right, now if they could get rid of their communist police and DA's, and actually follow their law...

S
Old October 6, 2007, 02:11 PM   #36
MyXD40

I have no problem to ID people any or cars. I was part of a hit and run, got full ID of person driving, and vehicel, as well as most of the license plate number.

Which brings me to my whole point of this post, under unusual situations, is it common to panic, or be blank headed? Anyone have any advice on how to control yourself in these kinds of situations? Someone comes up to mug you, hit your car, what are some exercises to practice your awarness and though process durring such a situation.
Old October 6, 2007, 02:51 PM   #37
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyXD40
common to panic, or be blank headed
Like everyone else, I get that "chemical dump" but it amazes me how it manifests itself.

I have known stark, unmanageable fear. I have been so angry. I do get the shakes.

In talking to other older guys we joke about becoming that little old man on the front porch with a double-barrelled shotgun. "Get off my lawn, you young whippersnapper!"

We've already talked about "old guy strength," and in that vein I believe there is "old guy fear."

If you've lived the average life, you've been sick, you've been hurt (physically and mentally), you've lost your job, perhaps a wife.

However, having been punched in the nose a few times, you realize you won't die if they crack you again. Most guys who fight are scared spitless, and you recognize the signs.

Pretty soon, there's nothing new under the sun. And you buy a rocking chair for the porch...
Old October 6, 2007, 05:18 PM   #38
SpookBoy

Plus +1 socrates.
and that was a very good link spctim11,well done.
You obviously copuldn't have had too much time to do much,why dont you cary your knife on you? I cary 2 on me,one strong side & 1 inside belt(with the pocket clips,thats what their for),it may not help much but at that distance your right Just as dangerous as a pistol.better luck next time dude.

"Once you familiarize yourself with the chains of bondage , You prepare your own limbs to wear them."
- Abraham Lincoln
Old October 6, 2007, 07:25 PM   #39
Socrates

Having been in a couple spots that I could have died, here's what I get out of it: I am capable of targeting and killing. I don't like it much with animals, and often have regrets.

With people, it's the prolonged legal battle, and, having to justify myself to God that really makes me careful about such situations.

I'm often faced with situations where others might strike out in anger. Having been trained for a very long time, I've learned perhaps the hardest part of situations is the restraint NOT to fall into the violence. One of my teachers was an ex-green beret and martial arts teacher, and, he often faced situations requiring his restraint. In describing those situations, his hands would often shake, and you could see his system drain energy, into controlling anger.

I've also had similar. Couple times in large crowds of children I've been pushed, confronted, challenged, and, when the 'children' are over 6'4" and 300 pounds, it takes a LOT of energy to contain ones self.

Likewise watching some drunk punk hit your car, while you are both physically able, and armed able to 'restrain' or 'detain' the bad guy, but, by law, would jeopardize yourself, and, create a tremendous legal battle.

I've often wondered if the good guys couldn't use the same
inability to ID to strike back at folks in situations such as gang guys selling drugs, etc.

s
Old October 6, 2007, 11:06 PM   #40
Wolf Lies Down

--
-Sigma Blaster,

"Wolf.

At least the author of the OP has the courage to admit he was afraid and will learn to be alert no matter who is around...meanwhile some good ol' boys, schizo's, meth freaks or neo's are gonna catch you slippin lol."

I believe the author posted his experience in order to obtain feedback just such as I gave him. My reply post is feedback and is not to ridicule or to embarass him. Viewpoints of others are important to the learning process.

Examples of what I mean are the tennis player who refuses to play with people he can beat, or the Republican who won't discuss politics with other Republicans; only Democrats.

Wolf Lies Down
Old October 6, 2007, 11:24 PM   #41
GalilARM

Wolf

I didnt take the criticism the wrong way, I asked for everyones input. Sure I was freaked out, but I also didnt curl up into a ball and squeal like a Will and Grace extra...I'm sure he knew I was scared, and I'm sure most of yall would be as well. However, the entire thing was over in a matter of almost 3 or 4seconds so there wasnt much time for much psychoanalysis

It was literally like: Door opens, Rafiki leans in as he's saying Gimme yo wallet bitch, then he immediately backs out of the car while saying haha just playin fool. Maybe he saw the knife and backed out? Its visible from where he was. Had the incident lasted any longer, I certainly would have reached for it, because by that point I noticed it was a cell phone....I think my eyes immediately focused on the "weapon" which in this case was not actually a weapon. I dont know....like I said maybe he caught a glimpse of the knife or something.

Thanks for the steady replies, I appreciate the advice. A real eye opener this was.
Old October 6, 2007, 11:25 PM   #42
Hardtarget

I do not hesitate when I get into my car/truck. Locked up as soon as the door is closed...crank up and move. I'll strap on the seat belt as I get rolling. I never sit for 30 seconds...its start and roll. Don't give the BG a chance to get to you.

Mark.
Old October 6, 2007, 11:56 PM   #43
Justme

I'd say it was lucky you were unarmed. Yet more support for idea that college campuses are bad places for guns
Old October 7, 2007, 06:52 AM   #44
PT111

This just goes right back to my contention that we are focusing on the wrong thing talking about the VT incident and protecting people while in class. One is much more likely to be attacked while walking to/from class or at other places on campus than they ever will be while in class.
Old October 7, 2007, 07:38 AM   #45
Yankee Doodle

As a retired PO, I can offer one extra bit of advice. Never forget that the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Call the Officer handling the case at least once a week, and ask him what is going on. Follow up with a call to his supervisor, and ask the same question. If you don't get an answer that keeps you satisfied, go to the head of the school and advise him of the pending law suit you have in mind. This usually will get the cops on the ball.
Then, when the skell is arrested, sue the crap out of him. If they can't make a criminal case, you can sure as hell make a civil one.
If the perp and friends are of a different race, you also have the option of contacting the FBI and reporting it as a racially motivated "hate crime". That's pushing it a bit, but if those dudes get involved, that sort of crap will come to a rapid stop. Feebees wandering around campus seem to get the point across.
Good luck in the future.
Old October 7, 2007, 10:03 AM   #46
Mainah

I'm almost certain that the phone was used to capture images of the "attack". It reminds me of happy slapping in England, and the recent spate of drive through window incidents in which kids would order a drink, and then yell "fire in the hole" when they threw it back at the poor worker in the drive-through window.

Kids film and post this stuff, and if it happened once it'll happen again. Something to be aware of.
Old October 7, 2007, 10:45 AM   #47
azsixshooter

My parking spot here at my apartment is right next to a walled in area where there are a couple of dumpsters. If I pull into my spot my driver's side door is next to the little opening where you go in to access the dumpsters. I always back my truck into my spot to avoid ever having my back to that opening where some degenerate piece of trash could pop out and attack me. I also like having my truck between me and that opening when I get in or out. I don't live in a bad place or anything, but like everyone has said, being aware of your surroundings is your first, and strongest, defense. The element of surprise is a powerful weapon, don't give them the upper hand by failing to be cognizant of what's going on around you.

It sounds like you learned some good lessons here. Of course, I hope you press charges against the orifice and I hope he's on probation or parole so they lock his stinking $&% up. It's a war of attrition between good people and the scum (and the legions of libs, lawyers and hypocrites that protect them). Do us all a favor, deal a blow against this guy (legally, I mean). Hell, I'd even try to get the rest of his "crew" as accomplices, at least one of them has got to have priors if not every single one of them. I hope things work out for you and I hope those punks burn in hell. Or the "County" at least.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old October 7, 2007, 11:35 AM   #48
zombiewoof

Ya know, I've been noticing lately that I take way too long to get in my vehicle and get the doors locked - at least too long for my comfort level. I kinda feel like I need to practice that until I can do it quickly and w/o losing sight of my surroundings. It seems a little silly to practice such a mundane thing, but, as I've been thinking, and as the OP found out, vehicle entry (and exit) presents a window of opportunity for an assailant to exploit.

zombiewoof
Old October 7, 2007, 12:47 PM   #49
GalilARM

Good idea about the hate crime thing. I doubt it would happen, but who knows....I'd sure like them to realize that there can actually be things other than white on black crime that can be labeled as hate crimes. I've always said I wouldnt ever sue anybody, but maybe this time it would be worth it. But then again, this guy probably doesnt have any assets other than some food stamps and a few welfare check stubs. Piece of shiits total net worth probably isnt even enough to pay for a night out with my girlfriend.

I'm going to call the PD tomorrow and see if there are any new developments. From what I understood, they think they got the guys walking around the garage from a CCTV camera, but who knows what they will do from there. I thought the guys were locals at first, but they may have even been Baylor students. I wouldnt put it past some of our "Student-Athletes" to do something like this. After all, a couple years back they had a small issue with murdering their fellow teammates....
Old October 7, 2007, 01:40 PM   #50
oldironman

Quote:
Have you considered the fact that the BG committed a crime and should be prosecuted? He broke and entered your vehicle and announced a robbery.How do you know if he was really kidding (unlikely) or just lost his nerve?You could have legally shot and killed him on the spot and you treat it as a joke because the bg didn't wait for your wallet and keys to your car? Unbelievable.PRESS CHARGES OR STFU.
Crankshop1000, I don't know if you have a comprehension problem or if you just skimmed over his post, but I suggest you go back and read it again - then edit your post accordingly.