The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 22, 2017, 11:10 AM   #26
jfruser

I own both an all-stainless SW1911 GM size and a scandium-aluminum framed 1911SC bobtailed CDR size. Great out of the box.
Old June 22, 2017, 12:13 PM   #27
BigJimP

I see Springfield TRP's in my area ...for around $ 1,400 / and personally for the money I think the TRP model gives you a lot of gun for the money..... but the new Colts seem to be ok as well and they are a little less.

On the lower priced guns ...specifically on some of the Colt's...make sure it has all the features you want...like checkering on the front strap / I'm seeing a few of the lower end priced models are leaving that off...so it depends on how you want it spec'd.
Old June 22, 2017, 01:58 PM   #28
jfruser

BJP wrote:
Quote:
On the lower priced guns ...specifically on some of the Colt's...make sure it has all the features you want...like checkering on the front strap / I'm seeing a few of the lower end priced models are leaving that off...so it depends on how you want it spec'd.
Also, make sure they DON'T have features you DON'T want.

For my own part I want either stippling or _nothing_ on the front strap. Stippling is great. A smooth front strap can be easily fixed with some skateboard tape. Things like most fish scale or only vertical scoring aren't very grippy in the hand and are more difficult to get skateboard tape to adhere.
Old June 22, 2017, 02:43 PM   #29
TunnelRat

Between the Springfield Armory Range Officer and Colt Government model I owned the SA was both more reliable and had a nicer trigger. I know a lot of folks really like the new Colts though and even if mine was one of them it's only a sample of one. If I could spend all of that budget you mention I'd get a Dan Wesson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 22, 2017, 02:52 PM   #30
Rockrivr1

I also don't see much mention here of the S&W 1911. For the money a Gov't S&W Pro Series is one fine 1911 with many options to choose some. A lot of their firearms coming out of their Performance Center are top notch.
Old June 22, 2017, 05:19 PM   #31
KyJim

Without a doubt it would be a Dan Wesson. I own guns from Colt, Springfield, Sig, and others. The DW models use better parts, are manufactured to close tolerances, and are reliable. That's not to say they never have issues because all 1911 manufacturers make guns with issues. I've had to send two back to them and they turned both around in just a couple of days. One poster mentioned an issue with a 2008 model. DW. Has different management and turned a very good product into an excellent product
Old June 22, 2017, 05:37 PM   #32
sevt_chevelle

Another vote for Dan Wesson.
Old June 22, 2017, 06:46 PM   #33
chaim

I have a S&W 1911SC, the original 1911SC (the one that essentially was renamed as the 1911PD some years back). I've had it for probably around 10 years. Never one hiccup of any kind out of the gun. 100% reliable and quite accurate. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another S&W 1911.

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but spending more $$$ on a 1911 doesn't necessary mean you'll get a more reliable gun. The odds are if you pick up a commonly available $600-800 1911, it will be just as reliable as the more expensive one. However, any 1911 can have problems.
It does seem to me if you went a little less you'd have money left over to make it exactly what you want. If I was going to spend about $1400-1600 on a 1911, I'd be quite tempted to just get a Rock Island Armory, Ruger or SA, then send it off to gunsmith to have it customized exactly how I wanted. Or, get one with most of what you want already and spend the rest on ammo and maybe a serious defensive training class.
Old June 22, 2017, 08:44 PM   #34
hubris

Next to me as I type is a SA 1911 SS Loaded. 5" barrel, nice grips, ambi thumb safety, very accurate. +/- $850 otd.
Old June 22, 2017, 10:59 PM   #35
Nathan

Under Dan Wesson price......mim mim mim

Dan Wesson or better....quality

Colt....some mim, but good mim.

Need I say more?
Old June 23, 2017, 04:53 PM   #36
Mike38

Quote:
But that means you are giving your money to Springfield Armory.
Oh boy, here we go! People are buying and praising S&W, seems they forgot about 1994. But I guess that was 23 years ago. A new demon has surfaced.
Old June 23, 2017, 06:34 PM   #37
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Colt....some mim, but good mim.
Okay, not to be facetious in any way, but what is good MIM, and why does only Colt use it?
Old June 23, 2017, 09:13 PM   #38
highpower3006

I have eight 1911's and half of them are Colts. My two favorite shooters are my series 70 Gold Cup and my five year old Government Model. But a very close third is my lowly Rock Island Officers Model. I paid $430 OTD for it and it has never missed a beat.
Old June 24, 2017, 01:30 AM   #39
rock185

Hello BBousa, I think I've owned examples of most major manufacturer's 1911 type pistols, and some semi- customs. These would include multiple Colts, Kimbers, Springfields, Baers, Wilsons, STIs,etc. I've had very good examples, and some real stinkers, from several manufacturers, large and small. The guns that seemed the most solid, smooth and precise right out of the box to me were the Dan Wessons. Some of my guns have MIM components. In case it matters, I did not come across anything I could identify as MIM in the two DWs I've owned. Some have experienced, or perhaps heard of, the glass smooth slide/frame fit of the SIG P210s. Cycling the slide of the Dan Wessons has much the same feel to me. Both my DWs were boringly reliable with any kind of ammo used, and they were in the reportedly problematic 9MM caliber. Of course, this is just my perspective and many other good guns, that would likely serve serve you well, have been mentioned.

PS, sorry to hear about the bad Kimber you had. My current Eclipse Target in 38 Super has been flawless with any factory or handloaded ammo I've used. No malfunctions of any kind.

Last edited by rock185; June 24, 2017 at 01:39 AM.
Old June 24, 2017, 05:42 AM   #40
Screwball

Best 1911 under $1400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfist View Post
I have nothing to go on as I have only a Ruger SR1911 and have not shot any other 1911. I think it was around 700 bucks. Awesome in my opinion. Can't shoot my Shield 9mm or Sig p320 nearly as well.

I have had failure to feeds, but I think it is only with the Chip McCormick magazines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny53 View Post
I have never owned a higher dollar 1911. I have owned a RIA 1911, great gun. I do own Ruger SR 1911, also a great gun. Don't know what purpose your gun will serve: range gun, EDC, home defense, but you could save money with some of the lower price weapons mention. I hope you get a good one.

I'll second those... my SR1911 is very accurate. Just took it to the range yesterday, and shot a ragged hole from 15 yards in. The lane I was on had an issue with the target holder, and couldn't get into the light at 25 yards... couldn't make out the paper. R/O refused to let me move to the next lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerrich99 View Post
Okay, not to be facetious in any way, but what is good MIM, and why does only Colt use it?

There definitely is good and bad MIM... but I wouldn't say that Colt is the only one to use it. Ruger has been doing MIM for years, and for the most part, has a very good record with it. You always see the one failure in a few hundred thousand parts, and it is usually posted over and over on the internet.

I'm likely swapping the MIM parts on my Ruger... but not because of strength. It is my only 1911, and I want it to be completely stainless.
Old June 24, 2017, 10:13 AM   #41
Kreyzhorse

Colt is a great suggestion but it's hard to not at least look at a Springfield TRP. Sort of a semi custom gun that is well made and very reliable.