The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 26, 2017, 12:57 PM   #126
tahunua001

I couldn't shoot them when they first came out. I could not tell when the trigger reset so I would have to completely take my finger off the trigger to keep from trying to squeese a trigger that hadn't reset yet. that simple fact kept me from buying for years. I bought one a few months ago and the triggers have actually improved, still not as nice as I would like and the stupid hinge in the middle does not agree with me, but at least there is a tactile reset now. there were a few other things I don't like about it as well, but again, that's kindof steering in a different direction than this thread's original intent(if that even matters 2 years down the line).
Old March 28, 2017, 09:39 AM   #127
Brando1992

i have heard of the old m&p's with the invisible resets. I believe apex actually came up with a solution for that. But as you said earlier you dont like to mess with the internals and that makes since to me. I am very glad they fixed it. I have also been pretty impressed with the new m&p 2.0, seems like a pretty good new gun. Not a lot changed but the grip feels great and the trigger is pretty nice!
Q:Are you using sarcasm? A: Is the Pope Catholic?
Old March 29, 2017, 02:35 PM   #128
Leejack

I'll cast my vote for the Smith SD9VE.
Old March 29, 2017, 06:28 PM   #129
SauerGrapes

Quote:
Save up a few extra pennies and get a Shield. Seriously. Don't buy a "cheap" gun.
My thoughts exactly. If you like a specific pistol, save some money and get it. Also, most of my collection are used.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old March 30, 2017, 07:06 AM   #130
hemiram

Brando1992-I don't like Glocks and XD's much, I do like the Canik TP9 series and the SAR K2P is a good cheap gun. But all in all, I prefer, greatly, all steel hammer DA/SA fired guns over all others, but I really liked my Beretta 92's and I seem to be falling in love with the all metal hammer Sigs with the DAK trigger too, so aluminum frames are cool, too.
Old April 1, 2017, 07:50 AM   #131
GarandTd

For whomever may be interested. S&W Shield, Bodyguard, and SD9VE all have rebates through S&W. $75, $50, and $25, respectively.

The SD9VE is on sale at RK for $289+tax. Subtract the rebate and you're looking at $264+. That's right around the price of the SAR B6P series and the Taurus PT111 G2.
If the S&W suits your needs and desires, that's a good deal.
Old April 1, 2017, 08:32 PM   #132
jad0110

I've really grown to appreciate my SD9VE. I'm not a huge polymer pistol fan, but when my back is hurting it beats carrying nothing at all.

I really have no complaints. Feeds everything I put in the mags, from cheap steel case Wolf and Tula to Gold Dots and HST. Runs flawlessly. Feels MUCH better in my hand than say, the Glock 19 with which it is most often compared. The trigger was gritty at first, but now it is actually fairly smooth. It is still spongy (hey, it's striker fired), but the break is fairly clean so all in all after a 500 to 1,000 cycles of the trigger, it breaks in to be a decent, shootable trigger.

The weight never bothered me in the least. So I won't be messing with any apex kits. And I much prefer the hinged trigger safety to the Glock and XD sharp dingle berry - but I know some are the other way around so like anything else its personal preference.

Yeah, the polymer is shiny so it comes across as cheap to some extent. The matte finish of Glock's polymer appears to be higher end - but probably isn't - in much the same way the S&W Model 28 had a less costly, more utilitarian finish compared with the Model 27 - the function was every bit the same. I put talon grips on mine so it won't win any beauty contests either way .

If you are fine with the trigger and it feels good in the hand, I really see no reason to spend the extra $$$ on a Glock or XD. Technically, depreciation may be better percentage wise on the SD9VE too. New they are under $300 in my area, and they seem to only drop about $75 into the low $200s used. Glocks and XDs start at around $575, but they drop to around $400-ish in my area used (about a $175 to $200 decrease in value).
Old April 1, 2017, 10:31 PM   #133
O4L

With the rebate you can get a Shield here for $234.

https://www.gunbuyer.com/smith-and-w...80021-gb.html/
Old April 2, 2017, 06:59 AM   #134
GarandTd

$234 is is great, but that will have to get shipped to an FFL which will add​ a little more cost. Trivial depending on the FFL, but still something to remember. Most online bargains seem to be offset by shipping costs and FFL fees.

Tags
budget , cheap , first gun