The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 12, 2017, 04:30 PM   #1
TheBear

Headshot or Heart/Lung area

i do a lot of pestcontrol on rats and groundsqirrel lately and im not quite sure which is the better place for the shot. I almost always go for the heart/lung area because thats what ive learned when hunting deer and hog but i see a lot of guys on yt etc. going for a headshot when hunting pests and small game up to coyote size.
When i learned to hunt, people told me that you never shoot in the head because animals have a much smaller brain then humans and it takes only a very small part of the head. So when you do a headshot theres a big chance your just blowing the animals jaw or nose or eyes away and that of course wouldnt be ethnic.
Opinions?
Old March 12, 2017, 05:39 PM   #2
Blindstitch

I would think headshots so you can eat small animals and not a ton of shot.

It probably also gives a confirmed kill or not where as a dead or dying rat could get away and die somewhere else when shot in the body.
Old March 12, 2017, 05:58 PM   #3
HALL,AUSTIN

Many, many headshots on small game, no "blew off the jaw" stories to tell.
Old March 12, 2017, 08:14 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

If I have a good head shot, I take it.
If not, I pop the vitals.

And for certain things that require extermination, I may be willing to put one into whatever part of the body I can get -- even if it's a gut or butt shot.
Slow 'em down, so I can get a couple more seconds to smack the vitals.
I know plenty of people will find that abhorrent and/or politically incorrect; but when I'm out for extermination, I'm there to kill - not to waste my time waiting around for perfect shots.
Old March 12, 2017, 08:49 PM   #5
ShootistPRS

I too feel there is a distinction between a meat kill and the extermination of vermin. I have respect for the animal that I harvest for food as it lives to be a food source. Pests, although I am sure there is a reason they exist when they endanger my family or our survival they get dead. Coyotes feed on small rodents as do snakes and birds. There are plenty to go around and as far as I'm concerned, I'd rather have the coyotes than the snakes - other than bull or king snakes. I can train the coyotes to stay away from our small animal pens and they can be fun to shoot.
Old March 13, 2017, 01:34 AM   #6
bamaranger

head shot

I've got no problem with head shots on small game or varmints. With their tiny noggin, if you hit away from your aiming point a bit, you are still likely drop the critter anyhow with collateral damage.

I aim against routine head shots on any big game animal, especially deer. Hogs? They're on the pest list, brain'em. I see where the recommended shot on a croc is the brain or high neck, so they don't swim off.
Old March 13, 2017, 07:46 AM   #7
Mobuck

"do a lot of pestcontrol on rats and groundsqirrel lately"

In 2010, I worked on an RV park in Colorado that was overrun with "picket pin" gophers. Although the owners knew they had a serious problem and the threat of bubonic plague and hanta virus, they refused to allow firearms in the control of the little pests. I was restricted to a pellet rifle only between first light and 7 AM(when the citified campers started getting up). Headshots worked OK if the range was short but then I had to gather up the croakers and pack them to the burn pit. Body shots with the .177 pellets allowed the critters to escape down their holes and die underground. After around 200 probable kills, I could no longer get within sure hit range and gave up until the young ones started coming above ground and then the score really went up.
If I'd been using my 17 HMR, I would have had to scrape up the bits and rake over the bloody sand on every kill and I'm sure the campers would have been "disturbed" but I could have "cleared" the 10 acres within a couple of days.
Old March 13, 2017, 10:26 AM   #8
doofus47

Back when I was doing a lot of pest control (squirrels and chipmunks) shooting pellets as a kid, I would shoot either, depending what shot they gave me.

I never had a bad head shot. They never ran that far with a body shot either, so either works in regards to terminal effect.
Old March 13, 2017, 12:04 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

Even a human is far more likely to survive a headshot than one to the body.
"...wouldn't be ethnic..." Nor ethical. A great deal depends on what you shoot 'em with though. A heart/lung shot is very close to instantly fatal every time. A head shot is not, always.
Old March 13, 2017, 12:05 PM   #10
g.willikers

When it comes to eradication of pests, here's another vote for what ever works.
When I was a kid, I inherited the jobs of ridding the rats from both my Grandfather's scrap yard and the chicken coop at my Grandmother's neighborhood grocery.
Since both were within city limits, misses were greatly frowned upon.
Whatever part was sticking out got the pellet or bullet, while paying focused attention on backstops.
Old March 14, 2017, 05:04 AM   #11
NHSHOOTER

I dont know what your shooting them with but I have shot hundreds of ground squirrels out in Ca on a ranch with a 22-250. A body or head shot would just disintegrate em.
Old March 15, 2017, 05:17 AM   #12
eastbank

i took care of a lot of chipmonks with .22 C-B caps out of a old wincester single shot with a weaver B4 scope, most shots were 30-40 feet with mostly head shots. but i could see very well then. eastbank.
Old March 15, 2017, 06:14 PM   #13
rickyrick

I've done pest control with a .223 many times... all kinds of body parts fly off, even coyotes sometimes. Not one of them was alive to be aware of its missing parts.
Old March 15, 2017, 08:20 PM   #14
North East Redneck

You are doing pest control on small animals. As long as you use enough gun, I'd believe either shot is ethical and lethal.
Old March 15, 2017, 08:47 PM   #15
Snyper

Center of mass works for pest control.

Trying to get fancy and make head shots on animals with brains the size of a dime is foolish unless you just want to play around.
Old March 16, 2017, 01:01 PM   #16
TheBear

Quote:
Center of mass works for pest control.

Trying to get fancy and make head shots on animals with brains the size of a dime is foolish unless you just want to play around.
thats what i always thought.
Im talking about pest controll/small game hunting with a .22 or a high powered PCP-Rifle. I think we all agree that it doesnt matter where you hit a rat or sqirrel when your using a .223 or a .204 Ruger....
Old March 16, 2017, 04:09 PM   #17
Nosler guy

Not varmint related but last 100 series season I had a choice, take a spine shot or a head shot at a buck that flushed and ran away from me.
Needless to say I got a bit lucky with the head shot but there wasn't an ounce of blood shot meat and he died instantly, so fast in fact he chipped up his antlers pretty bad from face planting. The bullet hit at the base of the skull just to the right of the vertebrae and came out the mouth.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old March 19, 2017, 05:36 AM   #18
Husqvarna

don't shoot over your ability

but I would also say that with some hunting to not take headshots is the unethical thing. like rabbits who will go under earth if shot heart/lungs

and even with vermin you want to be able to collect the carcasses don't you?
Old March 20, 2017, 08:15 AM   #19
jackstrawIII

Quote:
I know plenty of people will find that abhorrent and/or politically incorrect; but when I'm out for extermination, I'm there to kill - not to waste my time waiting around for perfect shots.
Heart/lung is fine.
Old March 20, 2017, 10:11 AM   #20
Old Stony

NHSHOOTER......I can relate to your ground squirrel shooting in Ca., as I have done the same thing. What a lot of fun, and barking those little buggers was a challenge. I liked the .223 with Hornady 5. gr. SX bullets and they would virtually explode. The Livermore area has a bunch of them.
Old March 20, 2017, 01:45 PM   #21
Badgerstate

On small game, I always go for the head. Especially if you intend to eat the animal, they give you such little meat anyways, no need to destroy any of it.
Old March 20, 2017, 08:16 PM   #22
Ricklin

My buddy

My buddy started killing off the big rattlesnakes on his place, worried about his dogs. Damn amazing how big they can get. 6 foot and as big around as your forearm. I still have one of the rattles, 14 buttons.

He had a population explosion, rats and ground squirrels galore. We had fun knocking down that population with .22 rimfire.

He really did not want to kill em all off....till they decided to chew on the wiring of his wife's Range Rover.

It was then open season on the little critters. Cost him close to 2 K to fix the Rover.
Old March 21, 2017, 12:13 AM   #23
math teacher

Years ago my best friend and I had the good fortune of hunting Washington's San Juan Island for rabbits when hunting there was in its prime. We shot hundreds of rabbits with our 22s. At first we went for head shots so as not to ruin any meat. Too often it resulted in a rabbit running around in circles. We soon figured out that nearly all the meat was in the back half. We began shooting them through the front shoulders with little meat loss and it anchored them every time.