The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 4, 2018, 06:06 PM   #1
dakota.potts

What do you think of this idea?

I had a goofy little idea pop in my head the other day. Kind an educational little novelty.

What about a coloring book of detailed drawings of historical firearms, plus educational information. Each gun would have a little technical info chart plus a full page description of the history of the gun, political uses, other guns it inspired, years of production etc.

The target goal cost would be about $10 plus shipping.

Is this something you would be interested in? Would you be more likely to buy it for young family members, for your personal collection, maybe a fun activity for your break room or waiting room for your business?

This is NOT an advertisement, I'm just curious if the idea is worth pursuing further.

I had one page mocked up for me by a designer. I will include it as an attachment.

Dakota
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1536102412260.jpg (129.3 KB, 152 views)
Old September 4, 2018, 07:08 PM   #2
Sevens

Hahaha, I think there is a segment of the populace that would be completely horrified, to the point where it could actually make the news.
Old September 4, 2018, 08:25 PM   #3
dakota.potts

Sorry I posted this in the rifle forum. Meant to put it in General Discussion
Old September 4, 2018, 08:46 PM   #4
big al hunter

I love the idea. 1 for each of my 6 kids ...then grandchildren....then niece and nephews...then...you get the idea.
Old September 5, 2018, 04:32 AM   #5
Husqvarna

Coloring for adults is actually a thing

People find it relaxing
Old September 5, 2018, 10:13 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

At $10 and 30 pages or more, with cheap shipping, I think it could be viable as a niche product.
More pages would be better, but it would cut into paper quality; and I think white paper is important here.
Old September 5, 2018, 10:24 AM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Great gifts for kids. I'm going to pass this onto a buddy as a gift suggestion for his wife. She does adult coloring books for relaxation.

Suggested fyrearms for Vol 1:

Colt Walker Dragoon
Rem 1858 Army (cap 'n ball)
Nagant 1895 revolver
C96 Mauser
MK IV Webley
Colt 1911
Colt SAA
Browning Hi-Power
Tokarev
Walther P-38
Walther PPK
S&W revolver (M29)
Colt revolver (Python)

See here for more suggestions for period firearms:

https://www.militaryfactory.com/smal...w1-pistols.asp

A second volume could be for more modern sidearms.
Old September 5, 2018, 10:52 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

BTW, one of the trouble with fyre arms is that they tend to be rather two colors. Wood for grip and blue for metal. It could make for a boring coloring book.
Old September 5, 2018, 06:04 PM   #9
DaleA

I suspect this idea would give the folks I know of working for Minnesota Public Radio a massive case of the vapors.

I'm afraid your idea would be seen as a 'nutty idea' similar to the Sasha Baron Cohen satire attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM-Sqzwo4Lo

And to agree with some others here adults DO have coloring books and I, personally, would have no problem at all with your idea.

P.S. Just take a look at what the anti-gun folk think about the Eddie Eagle gun safety program. They use the phrase 'Joe Camel with feathers...'

http://vpc.org/investigating-the-gun-lobby/eddie-eagle/

Last edited by DaleA; September 5, 2018 at 06:20 PM. Reason: added the PS about Eddie Eagle
Old September 5, 2018, 08:27 PM   #10
dakota.potts

If a little bit of harmless, educational and non political historical content upsets some sensibilities it won't hurt my feelings. Might even be free publicity!

Thanks for your input all. I'm seriously tempted to go ahead with this now. Both the designer and the print house have given very reasonable quotes. Might do a crowd funded pre order campaign to make sure there are enough people willing to order. Think it might make a neat gift for the upcoming Christmas season
Old September 5, 2018, 09:13 PM   #11
Glenn E. Meyer

If you do Taurus, you can use all the crayons in the big box. Not really historical though.
Old September 6, 2018, 01:40 PM   #12
FindANewSlant

I would buy one for each and every one of my 10+ little cousins.
Old September 6, 2018, 04:38 PM   #13
lamarw

I know your intentions are well intended, but I am not high on the idea. I think in terms of coloring books for small children not of the age to be handling firearms. I think small children should be encouraged not to touch or handle a firearm unless under the supervision of an adult.

If a small child is in a new or strange place and should encounter a firearm, they should not feel like it is ok to touch or handle it. Coloring books, if intended for children, might foster the wrong idea.

I am very much pro-gun, but I also have a 3 year old granddaughter. When she visits, we do the best we can to keep things to include firearms out of her reach. I would not give a child a coloring book with firearms as the principle subject. When I get a little older, maybe a coloring book in a nursing or assisted living facility might be my only link to guns.

Now if you want to have a paint by numbers for adults, by all means.
Old September 6, 2018, 05:40 PM   #14
dakota.potts

Lamarw, I understand your concerns but do not share them. I grew up playing world war II video games from the age of five. I also looked through military history picture books with my grandpa and watched History Channel with him (Remember Mail Call?) Despite this, I did not even know he had guns in the house until I was an adult. The first time a friend showed me his under the bed shotgun at the age of 12 ( unknown to his parents ) I left immediately and told my family.

I very respectfully believe it's a decision for the parents or guardians to make, as is all access to media. I am not targeting one age group but aim to create media that can be consumed by all ages - child to teenager to working adult to retiree.

Thanks for your respectful feedback
Old September 6, 2018, 05:47 PM   #15
Mike38

And then a kid takes one of these coloring books to school. Kid gets expelled from school.....
Old September 6, 2018, 07:04 PM   #16
M88

I'm on the fence about this one but lean more towards NO... can see both sides of it. I was introduced to a 22 rifle and taught to use it safely when I was 8, but that was on a farm, not center city somewhere. Should that make a difference? On the farm there were hundreds of acres to SAFELY shoot the gun... most kids don't have that and I'm not a fan of young kids at firing ranges, even supervised. With some exceptions, even as a preteen (and even many teens) they don't have the maturity to handle something where a mistake can get somebody killed in a heartbeat (as has happened at ranges that allow children). Kids make mistakes... that's how they learn. So... as pro-gun as I am, and as much as I like the idea of introducing them to young audiences to counter the hysteria that tells them daily guns are BAD and the only purpose for one is to KILL, not sure showing different kinds in a kids comic book would be a good idea. AND, there are already instances where a kid just DRAWS a guns on paper in a classroom gets the kid expelled, let alone bringing in a coloring book full of them. Such is the world we live in today.
Old September 6, 2018, 08:47 PM   #17
5whiskey

I see zero issues with it and I'm usually a little more "conservative" with my gun culture fanaticism than I believe many here are. I taught my oldest 2 daughters from about 4 on (the age that I perceived that they would fully understand the conversation) that I would let them touch and hold any gun if I was with them, but they were to find and tell an adult if they saw one alone. It was made clear that consequences for touching a gun without an adult and without asking resulted in a spanking. Worked for me and them. My oldest asked to see my guns a few times and I abliged. Middle daughter could care less.

At 6 my eldest had a BB gun. By 8 she was pretty mean with a .22. By 10 she could shoot some mild centerfire rounds, and had fired pistols. At 13 I did an AR build that was hers. Taught middle daughter to shoot too, but she has no interest in it.

My eldest daughter was still coloring when she was in the rimfire stage. I could see this holding her interest at 9 or so, and her having a vague understanding of some of the specs. My youngest turns 3 in a few weeks. I won't hesitate to do the same thing with her. Matter of fact I have about a year give or take before the big gun talk. Please let me know if you plan to go live with this. I'll buy a book and save for her.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old September 7, 2018, 01:11 PM   #18
Glenn E. Meyer

I cannot support the use of crayons without safety reservations:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...safety/567131/

Have your crayons checked out!!
Old September 7, 2018, 02:18 PM   #19
kenny53

If I saw it I would buy it. I have two grandkids that are young enough to enjoy this.
Old September 7, 2018, 08:12 PM   #20
4V50 Gary
Staff

Brown Bess
Charleville mousquet
Fusil de chase
jager
Long rifle with brass patch box
Ferguson
Baker
1803 Harper Ferry rifle
1817 rifle
Hall Rifle
1841 Rifle
1955 Springfield
Old September 8, 2018, 09:50 AM   #21
buck460XVR

IMHO, at $10 a piece, you are looking at an adult customer base. Just too many coloring books out there for kids that are under a dollar. Also as has been said, being guns in general are not that colorful(especially historically correct ones), I would tend to think repeat sales would be low. While I applaud the ideas of it being a neat way to introduce youngsters to firearms, I don't see it viable at $10 a piece.
Old September 10, 2018, 09:20 AM   #22
Skans

I would like to see some modern firearms in there too. Like the Desert Eagle, AR's, some "assault" pistols, etc. That way I, I mean my kids, can use the gold, bronze and silver colored crayons for something.
Old September 13, 2018, 09:18 PM   #23
rock185

I think it would be neat. But in today's America, soccer moms would be HORRIFIED! If an entity like Barnes and Noble would even carry it, it would likely soon be on a bargain table at about 99ยข, if not flat pulled from the shelves entirely. Those soccer moms you know.....
Old September 14, 2018, 12:41 PM   #24
briandg

I'm sorry, but I don't think the idea has any value for you.
Old September 14, 2018, 05:32 PM   #25
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
What do you think of this idea?
I had a goofy little idea pop in my head the other day. Kind an educational little novelty.

What about a coloring book of detailed drawings of historical firearms, plus educational information. Each gun would have a little technical info chart plus a full page description of the history of the gun, political uses, other guns it inspired, years of production etc.
It is a fine idea, but you are about a decade too late with it...

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/gun...BoC9SoQAvD_BwE