The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 14, 2018, 01:34 AM   #1
kmw1954

Hand Gun for Christmas

How would you feel if your company came out and did this for your Christmas bonus?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wis...b7Kz&ocid=iehp

Think this will cause a stir with some?
Old November 14, 2018, 01:43 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

That's going to make some people practically turn inside out.

I would like that kind of a Christmas bonus. Sadly, it will never happen where I work...
Old November 14, 2018, 02:22 AM   #3
GoingQuiet

I have a number of customers that own businesses that work something out where they come to me and give me a few guidelines and, they tell their employees to pick out whatever they want within reason and I send a bill to the boss.

This isn't exactly advertised as a perk in the employee manual, but it's been done before.

I've had white collar professionals actually pay out of their personal funds to get their admin team their CWL, training, etc. There are some well heeled folks out there that have no problem spending a few thousand bucks as a gesture of gratitude for those who are not as economically viable.
Old November 14, 2018, 05:48 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

I would love it, but I don't see it happening where I work now. Not that my boss has anything against guns. We just don't have the budget. (State agency)
Old November 14, 2018, 08:11 AM   #5
USNRet93

It might tweak some, probably more outside rather than inside, that company. But I'd be surprised if somebody couldn't turn it down or if really not comfy, sell it.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 14, 2018, 08:55 AM   #6
Skans

"All 16 full-time employees will be able to pick their choice of revolver."

Here's my choice, Boss:

Old November 14, 2018, 11:56 AM   #7
kmw1954

I love the idea. It's just that in todays political climate is it safe for a company to take a stand such as this? Or to do it publicly. I think they have Big Brass ones for doing this and a bravo to them!
Old November 14, 2018, 12:29 PM   #8
CalmerThanYou

Cool company. Small, local, family owned. Genius marketing, and a win for all the employees.
Old November 14, 2018, 03:00 PM   #9
Dufus

My eldest niece works for STI International. The company offered that as a Christmas bonus to the employees.

They also offered them any handgun of their choice (that was in inventory) at cost. She picked out two that would retail for >$1100 each and paid approximately $700 total. I asked if they needed any help.
Old November 14, 2018, 07:49 PM   #10
CLYA

Thanks to the article today, I bet they sold a lot more glasses (with a bullet in the side). I ordered two.
Old November 14, 2018, 08:06 PM   #11
Wag

I wanna work for them, not because I want them to give me a gun but because I want to be in a company where they feel this way about guns.

--Wag--
Old November 15, 2018, 12:37 AM   #12
kmw1954

Well I am glad some have enjoyed this article, even the wife piped up about it when she got home and read her news. She even smiled.

Again I applaud this company for not being intimidated. So far I haven't found any bad press.

I once worked for a company were the owners thought on bonuses was that it was charity and he truly believed it. He was a true Scrooge!