The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 25, 2018, 07:58 PM   #1
defjon

Has anyone ever broken a recoil spring plug in a 1911?

Full length guide rod system, shooting 200 to 300 rounds. No issues noted at the range chugged along fine.

Got home to clean it, field stripped and noticed the plug had broken in three pieces. Two large pieces remain. Guessing the third was on the firing line.

Odd.

Switched to a gi system. No need for a bushing wrench.

Anyone ever seen this?

Tried googling but no luck!
Old October 25, 2018, 10:39 PM   #2
KyJim

I haven't seen it but almost all of my 1911s have the GI system. Just curious as to brand of pistol.
Old October 26, 2018, 05:02 AM   #3
RickB

An early form of shock buffer was a guide rod with a spring-loaded plunger protruding, and I'd heard they could/would punch a hole in a standard plug, but a plug coming apart in a stock gun?
Old October 26, 2018, 09:58 AM   #4
ms6852

I did not break it, my 1911 had the two piece guide rod system that required an Allen wrench to take apart. I shot a couple of hundred rounds without a glitch and did not notice the plug was missing until I got home to clean it. Called Sprinfield Armory and they sent me a new recoil guide rod system free of charge. I have since changed to a gi guide rod system.
Old November 2, 2018, 07:10 PM   #5
gsparesa

Was the recoil spring installed correctly?
Old November 2, 2018, 09:13 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjon
Anyone ever seen this?
I've never seen it. I've been shooting 1911s since the Army in 1967 and I've never even heard of it. You just got lucky ...
Old November 3, 2018, 07:27 AM   #7
rodfac

Never broke any spring in my 1911's, and that's from 1964 til the present day. And I rarely change them out...per Kuhnhausen's recommendation, I have maintained the original GI/JMB design. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old November 4, 2018, 12:48 PM   #8
Jim Watson

I did, but the gun was so modified as to hardly be called a 1911 any more.
Old November 5, 2018, 02:14 AM   #9
tipoc

Quote:
Full length guide rod system, shooting 200 to 300 rounds. No issues noted at the range chugged along fine.

Got home to clean it, field stripped and noticed the plug had broken in three pieces. Two large pieces remain. Guessing the third was on the firing line.

Odd.

Switched to a gi system. No need for a bushing wrench.

Anyone ever seen this?

Tried googling but no luck!
I've heard of this will full length one and two piece guide rods but I have not personally seen it. It's most likely a bad plug.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old November 5, 2018, 06:21 PM   #10
D-Ric902

I’ve broken the GI plug on a Colt Compact, never a full length
Old November 5, 2018, 10:38 PM   #11
tipoc

Quote:
I’ve broken the GI plug on a Colt Compact, never a full length
I'm sure you didn't mean it this way but a GI plug is longer than the plug on a Commander. Which is shorter than a 5" piece so requires a shorter plug. The Officers and Defender have a different set up altogether so of course the GI plug wouldn't work. These latter "plugs", on the OACP, are known to have broken some in the early days of these pieces it was fairly common.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old November 5, 2018, 11:34 PM   #12
1stmar

Have full length guide rods in 7 1911s, several with over 20,000 rounds. Never had a problem with rods or plugs. Never heard or seen of a plug breaking. Had to be defective especially with a low round count.
Old November 7, 2018, 05:57 PM   #13
AK103K

I saw the plug (partial) and spring from a Colt Officers model go down range while the guns was being shot. Wasnt my gun, but that of the boy in the next booth over.

Apparently, it was fairly new and he hadnt done anything to it. Just bad luck I guess.

Over the years, Ive owned right around 40 1911's, and only one had a guide rod spring assembly when I bought it Springfield Loaded), which I quickly replaced with a GI type. That gun was a POS too, and wouldnt feed hardball out of the box.

Never had a plug break on any of my guns though.
Old November 8, 2018, 01:50 AM   #14
1stmar

Older officer models were prone to plug failures. King and a few others were making reverse guide plugs for that reason. Good point, but never heard of an issue in a govt or dommander model