The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 3, 2013, 08:18 AM   #1
duelist1954

Track of the Wolf Bucks County Rifle Build Update #16

For those of you who have been asking when the next video in the build series would be out here it is.

I'm sorry for the delay. Between magazine work and a little medical issue, I haven't had much time to work on it. Then I got well into the project and discovered I was out of 1/16th-inch drill rod...couldn't find any locally...you know how that goes...

But here it is at long last. In this update I inlet the ramrod thimbles. Then I show how I measure them for pinning, and then I drill and pin them in.

I have to warn you, the video is kind of long...20 minutes or so...because there was no natural break point to make two videos out of it.

Once again, let me stress that I'm not a master rifle builder by any means. What you will see is how I do things. There are probably much better ways to do the same thing...I just don't know how to do them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF3iMUG2yaY
Old October 4, 2013, 10:45 PM   #2
Sure Shot Mc Gee

PM sent Mike.
Old October 5, 2013, 10:54 AM   #3
duelist1954

Thanks Sure Shot.

I had heard a rumor that somebody was watching these build videos. Now I know it was you.
Old October 5, 2013, 04:30 PM   #4
Captchee

nice video.
As to the barrel pins . Most all hardware stores carry piano wire in their K&S display . Its had and will stay good an strait . Once cut , just round the ends and your pins wont grab and chip the stock .
Another good option is small finish nails . They are softer but I have never had one rip out .

Now the plus to the piano wire is tht it comes in several sizes smaller then 1/16 as well as sizes much larges . So you can make all kinds of small tools to help in carving and inletting .

Also one of the things you will find at the same display is brass sheet stock .
While this can be used for many purposes like making your own pipes , inlays and such , you can also use it to inlet the tabs on you thimbles .
To do that you chose a piece that the same size or just slightly smaller then the thickness of the tab of the pipe … cut a piece that at least 1 inch long .
Mark the tab location just as you did . Now take the piece of brass plate and heat it up nice and red hot . Carefully place it on your mark and apply light pressure down . As soon as it stops smoking , re heat and repeat . It will but through in a couple three cycles and you will have an absolute tight , no wobble fit on the tab .
Also if you feel more comfortable drilling the holes , you can do that and your brass plate will burn through very quick .
Old October 5, 2013, 09:15 PM   #5
duelist1954

Thanks for the tips.