The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 25, 2013, 07:12 PM   #1
wheelyfun

1858 Uberti factory conversion 45LC

Hey All,
range report to follow soon, but for now...
New Cimarron (Uberti) in 45LC with 5.5" barrel.
trigger pull feels surprisingly light and crisp for an Italian clone....

Need to buy dies and bullets, and start reloading for this, as the price of factory 45LC will keep you from shooting!

Old September 26, 2013, 06:34 PM   #2
wheelyfun

Cimarron (Uberti) 1858 Factory Conversion 45LC, w/5.5” barrel

Received this revolver from my FFL and right away, noticed the fit and finish were outstanding!

Was not expecting such rich bluing and tight tolerances, as previously owned a Uberti Cattleman SAA clone….and it was nowhere near this level of finish.

Cleaned & lubed, bought some Magtech 250gr flat nose bullets from my local gunshop, and went to the range.

Magtech lists the following specs (obtained from a 4” barrel): Muzzle velocity=761 fps, with 322 ft LBs of energy…..in other words….weak Cowboy loads!

I will find my own load for this revolver, once I have fired a couple hundred factory loads, but fired 100 rounds of Magtech during this break-in range session.

I started off from 12 yds away, shooting at small paper plates. I was elated to find that the first 5 shots were clover-leafed on the plate! That’s right, my first 5 shots were all touching!

The range had about 5 other shooters present, so I had to spend the rest of my time from the 25 yd line.

Our range has cardboard tubes hanging from a rope, at 25 yds out. I was smoking these things WITH EASE! I was getting cocky and hitting them while they were still swinging from the previous hit…..

Feeling very happy with this revolver, I took a cylinder full at the 100 yd gong. Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding, miss, Ding. 5 out of 6 shots hit the 100 yd gong, and by this time, the other shooters were commenting and asking about the Uberti.

After 50 rounds, I removed the cylinder and cleaned it, the cylinder pin, and the barrel.

The rest of the time was split evenly between careful, slow, aimed fire and rapid fire using both hands and strong hand only.

The trigger was super crisp with barely any creep, and was relatively light.
The overall quality and accuracy of this revolver took me by surprise, and this 1858 is going to be seeing a lot of action at the range!

Old September 26, 2013, 07:00 PM   #3
kwhi43

Those Are Great Guns. Here Is Mine Before I Sold It.

Old September 26, 2013, 07:24 PM   #4
wheelyfun

Did you sand your grips?
I dislike the "red" laquer that the Italians use on their grips.....

I am a bit afraid to sand, for fear of changing the shape of the grips!
Old September 26, 2013, 08:09 PM   #5
kwhi43

Yes, I hated the grips the way they came. I lightly sanded them and just rubbed
them with oil. Just a few drops of motor oil.
Old September 27, 2013, 12:57 AM   #6
9mmfan

Motor oil. Huh. Wouldn't have thought of that. That looks good. Nice pistols, gents.

Yep, the cost of .45 Colt is what got me interested in reloading initially.
Old September 27, 2013, 07:47 AM   #7
kwhi43

Notice the length of my loading lever vs the 5.5 inch model.
Old September 30, 2013, 04:13 PM   #8
Colt46

A real beauty

Always loved the old remingtons. Any ideas on what kind of pressure levels they can accept? Are they good for extended normal pressure(250 grain bullet @850 fps) shooting?
Old October 1, 2013, 05:12 AM   #9
wheelyfun

The frame on the factory conversion from Uberti is manufactured with different specs than the black powder-only frames.

It will handle standard pressure loads forever.

I will not put hot loadings through it, and will handload for slightly less than standard pressure....because this is a "fun" gun, and I love a mellow 45 loading.
Old October 1, 2013, 10:37 AM   #10
Andy Griffith

Have you tried any full house blackpowder loads through it yet?

I would love to hear a range report on the conversion of how it holds up to and functions full box of them.