The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 15, 2017, 05:32 PM   #1
rebs

Cleaning and seating rod ?

Which is the preferred cleaning, seating rod material, wood, fiberglass, aluminum etc ?
Old February 15, 2017, 05:48 PM   #2
kwhi43

Stainless Steel.
Old February 15, 2017, 06:31 PM   #3
FrontierGander

I use plastic for cleaning. Wood ramrod while hunting/rendezvous and some at home shooting, stainless steel range rod for serious sit down, shut up range shooting.
Old February 15, 2017, 06:32 PM   #4
Model12Win

Straight grain hickory worked well for years.
Old February 15, 2017, 08:50 PM   #5
Pahoo

No solid Fiberglass

Range-Rod;
For cleaning and loading, I use a poly coated fiberglass. The glass "never" comes in contact with the bore. For my .32's, I have a black Delrin rod.

Field-Rod;
I use whatever material rod came with the rifle. However when that rod is Hickory, I substitute with a Delrin duplicate. Hickory rods are my favorite on my side-locks but they won't stand up to heavy use. They are good for loading, cleaning patch and looks but that's about it. ...

I also have aluminum, SS and brass. .....

I never use solid fiberglass and they have a history of destroying muzzle crowns. I have a number or TC's that came with solid Fiberglass and they too get replaced with a duplicate Delrin. They never get used. ....

Another good item to include, is the use of a bore guide.

Be Safe !!!!
Old February 15, 2017, 11:20 PM   #6
Hawg

Whatever comes with the gun. Usually wood or steel. I've only broken one hickory rod and I did that by holding too far up on it. Keep your hand close to the muzzle and they won't break.
Old February 16, 2017, 03:30 AM   #7
Old Stony

They all seem to work well if used properly. I have a brass range rod that I use often and like the weight of it for seating tight PRB's. I even made up a rod for my 62 calibers out of an old fiberglass golf club. It works like a champ, but they are long and tapered so you can't use them for smaller calibers.
Old February 18, 2017, 10:04 AM   #8
Hdonly

You can buy Delrin rod in many sizes and any length and make your own. The rod is cheap. Shipping cost more than the rod. Just buy a lot and make some for your friends to make the shipping worth it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picacetrd.jpg (29.0 KB, 257 views)
Old February 19, 2017, 03:32 PM   #9
rebs

Ball seating and cleaning rod ?

I would like to be able to use one rod for seating and cleaning and be able to put a T handle on either end but my rod has two different size threads and the T handle will only fit on the one end with the bigger threaded hole. What can I do, does anyone make a rod with the larger threaded hole on both ends ? Why is there different size threads on the ends ?
Old February 19, 2017, 04:41 PM   #10
Model12Win

Probably 8-32 and 10-32. Italian ones are 10-32 and the American stuff mainly 8-32. You can order adapters.
Old February 19, 2017, 06:07 PM   #11
Pahoo

10-32, is the most common thread. ..

Most of my rods are 10-32 and TC, is 10-32. You can also find an adapter that will help you convert. You can also buy a T-handle that will thread to 10-32. There are many T-handles on the market. One TC that I have is a small flip-up handle that can be left right onto the end of the Field-Rod. Another option is to make your own ball with threaded insert you also can make moth ends the same and I would suggest the 10-32. If you like, I can send you some links for what you need. Again, most of what is out there, is 10-32. Go to one of the M/L sights like Dixie and get what you want. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 20, 2017, 12:08 AM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

I have a solid brass rod about 3/8" in diameter. It's got weight and makes loading and cleaning easy. This is strictly a range rod and it's way too heavy to carry in the field.

The rod started as brass hardware for the emergency push bar for doors. MSC should be able to provide you with them.
Old February 20, 2017, 12:19 AM   #13
Model12Win

I've got an aluminum solid rod that works pretty nicely and is lightweight. I also have a solid brasser coming which should be even better for the job.
Old February 20, 2017, 08:01 AM   #14
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Some years back I replaced all my ram rods with yellow brass tubing. The thick walled rods were cut to length and solid brass lathed end Tips were tool steel pinned in place. I bought those custom ordered cut rods from Warren Muzzleloading. (no longer in business)

Brass tubing is very strong and has no flexibility so the rods are super stiff and almost impossible to bend or brake even under extreme applied force. Of course the rods Tips will never ever pull off and that feature alone pleases me.
Such addition/s made the rifle/s more reliable and assuredly enhanced their appearance. Being old school. I prefer a tarnished appearance on my rifles. I do not polish their brass as I don't want to be the only'est one sparkling in the sun light.
Old February 20, 2017, 02:54 PM   #15
rebs

are the delrin rods some what too flexible for seating balls and cleaning ?
Old February 20, 2017, 03:11 PM   #16
rebs

what size ball and patch ?

I appreciate all the help you guys have given me, Thank you
Old February 20, 2017, 03:37 PM   #17
Hawg

Quote:
They work ok but have a lot more flex than hickory.
Old February 20, 2017, 04:41 PM   #18
Pahoo

Delrin works well for me.

Quote:
Delrin is just one of many resin materials available. Some are stiffer than others. I have some rods that I wish I cold identify the resin as they are tough and provide great performance. Many of the black powder supply houses provide complete replacement resin rods. ......

Be Safe !!!!
Old February 21, 2017, 12:08 AM   #19
FrankenMauser

I use 'phenolic' rods (likely one of the various resins mentioned by Pahoo).
There's an appropriately-sized rod in the muzzle-stuffer, and a 48" range/cleaning rod.

I do not recall the brand. If I had to guess, I might go with Delrin as the material. Though, they could be acetal, as well. They're quite flexible. So if that's not a characteristic you'd like to deal with, then stay away.
One of my brothers once tied an identical 48" range rod in a knot, just to see how far he could go before it broke. It didn't...

But, they're still stiff enough and strong for normal loading, cleaning, ball-pulling, etc.
Old February 23, 2017, 08:50 PM   #20
Pahoo

Thread adapter

Rebs,
Is this what you might be looking for your thread adapter?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Powder...oAAOSwOdpXwxU5

Be Safe !!!!
Old February 24, 2017, 07:31 AM   #21
rebs

Yes I found one and ordered it from Track of the Wolf
Thanks for all the help from you guys.