The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old October 21, 2013, 06:29 PM   #1
histed

Lube question

I just ordered my first handgun molds. I'm reading a lot of manuals and articles, but still have a question. Both of the molds I ordered are from Lee. One is a 125 gr. 9mm (356) round nose with a single lube groove. The other is a 38 (358) tumble lube SWC. I know I can us Alox on the 38, but can I use it on the 9mm? Do I have to use a different lube and put it on with a sizer/lube die? I was planning to go with the Lee sizer kits (mostly for cost and convenience), but why spend the money if this won't work.
Old October 21, 2013, 08:16 PM   #2
Vance

Yes, Alox tumble lube will work on a standard lube groove bullet. You may not even have to size the bullets as Lee's molds often drop bullets the size you need them to be. A pair of dial calipers is really needed to measure the diameter. Tumble lube and go. Have fun and be careful.

Last edited by Vance; October 22, 2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Typo correction
Old October 22, 2013, 06:32 PM   #3
histed

Thanks, Vance. Calipers I've got. And the name of the reloading game is careful, with everything. Now, if my local garage will sell their used wheel weights at a reasonable price
Old October 22, 2013, 06:54 PM   #4
David Bachelder

+ on what Vance said.