The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 17, 2020, 04:24 PM   #1
stagpanther

Games Cheaper than Dirt plays.

I don't normally like to hang out dirty laundry for the public to see, well, that's not always true, but here's one that really has me miffed. Last week I ordered a rifle from CTD--funds were drawn from my account to pay for it in full and I received notice on Saturday that it had shipped to my FFL. I clicked on the UPS tracking number, and which took me to CTD's website and showed that it had shipped. I also ordered a couple of boxes of ammo, which I assumed shipped at the same time.

Tuesday and Wednesday--when I received e-mails telling me to expect delivery--nothing showed up so I became a little concerned and called CTD--and was told by the customer service rep that it hadn't shipped (even though their website says it has) and they had no way of knowing when it will until UPS gives them a tracking number. I was like "what the foobar do you mean by that?" Turns out it's shipping from one of their several warehouses which the customer service rep kept insisting there was no way of knowing whether or not a package actually shipped--even if it indicated it did ship-- because they do not have a tracking number until UPS gives them one. I told him I've shipped countless packages with all the services and I know you get a number as soon as you generate an order with them. Spent the next ten minutes going round in circles with the guy who kept telling me they don't get tracking numbers--even if a package has indicated it's shipped--until UPS gives them one. I finally got tired of his BS and hung up.
Old September 17, 2020, 08:56 PM   #2
Bozz10mm

Friends don't let friends buy from CTD.
Old September 17, 2020, 09:49 PM   #3
reynolds357

I would have to need something bad that no one else had before I would order from them.
Old September 17, 2020, 10:00 PM   #4
Warhammer

In my experience, CTD is a crappy company staffed by crappy people. I used to shop in their main store in Ft Worth, but got tired of "former operators" flagging everyone in the store with the guns while giving the worst BS advice you can imagine. Ad to that their consistently shady business practices and I don't understand how they're still in operation. I guess there are enough buyers out there for them get one or two sales out of before the buyer gets wise of them to keep their doors open.
Old September 17, 2020, 10:09 PM   #5
TXAZ

When they first opened some years ago and had a miniscule storefront I went over and bought 2 Ruger LC9s’ at a phenomenal price.
That may have been the last good deal from the prices for I’ve seen over the past several years.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 18, 2020, 12:51 AM   #6
Scorch

They remind me of an inner city grocery store. We got it and you gotta pay if you want it. Only people who buy from CTD are people who are trapped and have no other choices.
Old September 18, 2020, 12:54 AM   #7
bamaranger

used to

Now and then, I bought some odd military surplus type gear from them over 20 yrs ago. Their shipping costs were so high, I quit on them pretty early on.
Old September 18, 2020, 01:18 AM   #8
stagpanther

My mistake I guess, though my last order from them. The two boxes of ammo I also ordered are tarnished and obviously old--the cartridges in one of the boxes has small dings on just about every cartridge. Luckily I bought them just for the brass--though sometimes I've seen wild velocity variations in old ammo.

Last edited by stagpanther; September 18, 2020 at 01:25 AM.
Old September 18, 2020, 04:23 AM   #9
JERRYS.

well dar dardy dar, another CTD horror story.
Old September 18, 2020, 06:23 AM   #10
reynolds357

I pretty much just buy From Midway now. No guns from them yet, but everything else. "Nitro Express" shipping is fadt.
Old September 18, 2020, 07:03 AM   #11
stagpanther

Every now and then I deal with vendors who immediately charge you full price--but then they have the merchandise in stock when they say they do and will get it out the door fairly quickly. But these days, some vendors charge and take money from accounts for stuff they don't actually have even though they say it's in stock. I think this is deceptive when they say something is in stock and that it has shipped--when in fact it hasn't.
Old September 18, 2020, 08:43 AM   #12
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
But these days, some vendors charge and take money from accounts for stuff they don't actually have even though they say it's in stock. I think this is deceptive when they say something is in stock and that it has shipped--when in fact it hasn't.
That's called fraud. I've also heard of cases where a company sold something to one person, canceled the sale and relisted the item at a higher price.
Old September 18, 2020, 10:57 AM   #13
DaleA

Somebody said:
"Fellows, you can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, and if you can't make money with odds like that you just ain't trying."
Old September 18, 2020, 11:58 PM   #14
Ignition Override

Supposedly CTD accepted orders for ammo during either the panic in late 2008, or the panic after the Newtown horror, and CTD then told some people that their ...>>> (firm) orders had been cancelled..<<<

...and the same customers could not buy the ammo---- unless they agreed to the new, much higher prices.

This is what some people claimed, if I remember correctly.
Old September 19, 2020, 07:50 PM   #15
5whiskey

^^^CTD did that with pmags after sandy hook iirc.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old September 19, 2020, 08:58 PM   #16
50 shooter

Yes Jerry, another CTD story!

I agree but if enough people keep telling people about their crappy business everything, then maybe people will stop buying from them!

So, pass the word along to everyone you know to stop buying from Cheaper Than Dirt! The sooner this happens the better, this way we won't have these stories about companies that rip people off.
No time for rearranging.