The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old November 30, 2020, 02:15 PM   #1
Pistoler0

Gunbroker? What do you think?

Hello,

I was about to open an account at Gunbroker because I saw a listing for a firearm that I have been looking after.

I didn't go through the registration process because I was taken aback by the amount of information they request, including a birth date. I thought I'd inquire here before going through with it.

What are your feelings about Gunbroker regarding:
- your past dealing with them
- what you have heard/read about them.

I'd appreciate your help, I am always very wary of sharing my personal info, specially online.
Old December 1, 2020, 08:27 AM   #2
Nathan

Fundamentally, you are going to put a large sum of cash in somebody else’s hands and count on them to properly represent, pack and send a gun. I’m ok if they ask for a lot of info to register.

It has always proven quite reliable.
Old December 1, 2020, 09:25 AM   #3
NoSecondBest

At one time I was registered with them but never bought or sold a gun on there. It was like logging on here. After about a year they wanted a credit card number so that they could charge me a few bucks a month to just go on and look. I asked them why I had to pay a monthly fee to just look on there. Their response was that I had listed a gun for sale on there and that required me to pay a monthly fee. I NEVER LISTED ANYTHING ON THERE OR BOUGHT ANYTHING OFF OF THEIR SITE. They insisted I did but couldn’t provide any evidence of that. That’s because it never happened. I refused to give them access to my credit card or pay a fee that wasn’t lawful. They warned me I’d be banned from logging in or ever using the site again if I didn’t pay up. No problem, I quit and never went back. I saw some reports from others complaining about the same thing on other web sites. I don’t trust them. That’s just my experience, others seem to have done better with them. Maybe that didn’t work out too well for them?
Old December 1, 2020, 06:18 PM   #4
laytonj1

Been a member of Gunbroker since 2005. Never been charged to look at anything. Only charges I ever had was their commission when I sold something.
I really like Gunbroker because it’s buyers/sellers are vetted and they have a feedback system.

I believe they may charge a couple dollars for new memberships to verify your credit card and address.

Jim
Old December 1, 2020, 09:39 PM   #5
taylorce1

I've been using it at least since 2005 as well, never once has Gunbroker asked me for money except when I've sold something on the site.

Reputation, IMO they are just a middle man providing a service. I tend to look at seller feed back and treat it a lot like buying and selling on eBay just more restrictive items.

Privacy, I don't think they've ever sold my information. I do get emails from them every time I visit the site.

Past dealings have all been good, I've never had to have them step in and settle a dispute. All the sellers/buyers I've had transactions with have been very good to me.

I haven't heard or read anything negative about Gunbroker. The did try a PayPal type of system that failed miserably, I didn't personally ever use it. I do know the website is an enabler of my firearm addiction, and I'm not ashamed to be that type of addict.
Old December 4, 2020, 08:03 AM   #6
gaseousclay

It’s been 10 yrs since I last ordered anything from gunbroker but if memory serves me correctly, I had to give credit card info only to confirm my identity when I registered for an account. I believe they do this to ensure fraudulent accounts don’t populate their site. It’s a security measure pure and simple. I trust gunbroker more than armslist
Old December 4, 2020, 09:02 AM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

If I had to guess how long I've been a GB member, I'd say about 10 years. I've never been charged to look at ads. The only thing I ever had to pay for was for a pistol I bought. I treat it like eBay. I think GB does what it can to keep scams to a minimum, but the buyer still has to do his due diligence.
Old December 4, 2020, 09:31 AM   #8
Logs

I have had pretty good luck with GB. Just saw a note that they will be collecting sales tax January 1st.

I have had a few folks not follow through with winning an auction and getting your fees back is a pain. But you do get more for your items on GB even with the 6% in fees.

Armslist use to be good, but now they want you to buy a membership to even respond to sellers so it is going down hill fast.

Also lots of scams on Armslist like NIB Sig 229 for $400 shipped to your FFL Only.

As for fees I have a credit card that I hardly ever use and that is the one I give GB so I can manage it easier vs using the card I use every day. Might be an option for you.

If someone on GB has NR for no rating I watch it a bit more, but if they have over 20 or 30 feedbacks usually you are good. I always spend a little more to make sure I have the proper insurance and try to use UPS for better tracking.

Last edited by Logs; December 4, 2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old December 10, 2020, 06:38 AM   #9
shurshot

I have bought 2 guns off GB in the past 2 years. Both transactions went flawlessly. Retail prices, yes of course, but one was a Colt SAA and the most recent a Glock 20 (this year), so I was more than willing to pay a premium since no one in my area had or could get either gun and future availability is uncertain.

No complaints from me pertaining to GB.

Only warning is make sure the seller is an actual FFL Dealer, as many gun stores refuse to accept FFL transfers from non FFL dealers. Research the seller and send messages / verify PRIOR to bidding.

And if they don't allow at least a 3 day inspection and they say it's "Mint", but they want you to purchase it "As Is", no returns allowed and they don't accept CC's... I would pass.

Last edited by shurshot; December 10, 2020 at 06:48 AM.
Old December 11, 2020, 06:18 PM   #10
Kevin Rohrer

I use them and have not had a problem.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old December 11, 2020, 08:05 PM   #11
Nathan

Quote:
And if they don't allow at least a 3 day inspection and they say it's "Mint", but they want you to purchase it "As Is", no returns allowed and they don't accept CC's... I would pass.
I passed on a rifle like that. Seemed like a great rifle, but I like to limit my BS in life.
Old December 30, 2020, 06:38 PM   #12
BourbonCowboy

I've been a member for 12-15 years. I've bought a number of smaller items (holsters, mags, etc.) but have only bought three guns...so far. All three purchases went perfectly smoothly and I ended up happy. Only one of my purchases came from a member with a very low feedback total (I think he had only 2 sales.). I took a chance and got a practically mint condition HK VP9 for $325/shipped.
Old December 30, 2020, 11:56 PM   #13
stephen426

I have been using gunbroker for quite a while and have bought many guns from their site. I have had no issues and feel comfortable using the site for my gun purchases. The important thig to remember, as with any auction site, is to set YOUR limit beforehand. One thing I like is that there is a 15 minute extension of the end time anytime there is a bid after the initial end time. This prevents last second sniping that occurs with other auction sites.
Old January 5, 2021, 11:10 AM   #14
ballardw

Member about 20 years, two firearms, ammo, reloading components and parts bought.

No issues with Gunbroker though I don't find the website updates making it easier or better to find things.
Old January 13, 2021, 01:46 AM   #15
5whiskey

I’ve been a member of gunbroker at least 10 years and I too have had no issues. I’ve bought and sold there. You do have to be careful, only purchase guns with lots of pictures and information, and do due diligence. I got a decent (considering) price on a great no4 mk1 enfield in August. The bore was mint... good luck finding that on an enfield. No import marks either. It was an FTR, but literally looked like it was done over at fazakerly, surpluses, later sold, and sat in an ideal condition gun safe until I bought it. Shoots amazingly too.

You can do well on GB if you pay attention. I’ve never been charged anything other than fees to sell.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old January 13, 2021, 04:00 AM   #16
FrankenMauser

I have bought about 40 firearms off Gunbroker, and probably 20-30 more from other auction sites.
The only issues that I had on GB for firearms were resolved by the seller very quickly.
For firearm parts, however, I had *tremendous* issues dealing with a cross-border dispute (US vs Canada) when I was sent the wrong items, but a certain Western Canukistani gun parts company refused to admit their mistake (fraud!) and make things right. I had to settle for getting screwed, but being able to resell the parts as what they *actually* were. (Which said company knew all along.)

I won't buy firearms over the internet unless it is an FFL on the other end.
Doesn't matter if it is Gunbroker, Armslist, etc. (Though Armslist just shot themselves in the face ... but that's another conversation.)

Never had a problem when I made sure it was an FFL on the other end.
Didn't get screwed, but did have some issues with private parties that refused to use an FFL or include a copy of their drivers license.

Had a friend that lost a huge amount of money on Armslist, when dealing with a private party. I warned him. He couldn't refuse the deal.
Bye bye mortgage, car payment, and more.

If you cannot verify, then don't do the deal.

If you want a fear factor list, don't be afraid of Gunbroker. Be afraid of proxibid, hibid, and auctionzip.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; January 13, 2021 at 04:06 AM.
Old January 13, 2021, 01:34 PM   #17
TTA89

Long time lurker... No issues with GB here either. I like that for most auctions they act as the intermediary so any issues would be resolved through GB. I haven't ever had to do that though and most sellers have tons of feedback.
Old January 17, 2021, 09:12 AM   #18
Targa

That site is the devil, it has cost me two grand in the last two months
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E024BEEC-2613-403D-AF38-6EFAD1A7472B.jpeg (93.0 KB, 54 views)
Old January 17, 2021, 12:43 PM   #19
TBM900

I buy and sell there regularly, at least several transactions a month, and have been since they first came on line
I'm good friends with several folks who also buy and sell there regularly

I've had a couple of issues with shill bidders
They are selling similar and want to try and bid up the price to drive their own higher
So you have to watch for those with no prior history
If you see something hinky don't be afraid to block them

The only other issue was with a clown who didn't know what he was buying
I was flipping several 92G-SD's which are decocker only
He bought one and freaked out because the "safety was broken"
When I explained that it has no safety he got rather butthurt
So he started claiming that it was "used... beat up... worn..."
Even though it was new in box along with the rest I had
To shut him down I offered to exchange it for one of the remaining ones I had
Never heard from him again

When selling...
Describe what you have accurately and honestly
Take lots of good photos of everything inside and out

When buying...
Beware of sellers who only provide a couple of poor photos
Ask lots of questions and if they don't answer or provide more photos... walk away
Caveat emptor

I NEVER buy or sell outside the CONUS
Be aware of "ban state" issues
Also remember to factor in shipping and transfer costs
Old February 21, 2021, 06:10 PM   #20
torrejon224

Have bought numerous firearms off GB over the past 10/15 years. Picked up a new Fusion 1911 two weeks back in a penny auction for $300 under retail so it's been good to me. Key is who you are dealing with as it is a collection of retailers and private individuals selling so I am sure there is good mixed with the bad.
Old February 21, 2021, 06:19 PM   #21
MarkCO

Have used it to buy and sell several times. I like it. Need to go list some things on it this afternoon.
Old February 22, 2021, 09:51 PM   #22
imp

I've been on GB for close to 20 years. I've probably bought a dozen firearms, and some parts. Had 2 issues with sellers that required mediation by gunbroker. Both times, satisfactory outcomes were reached, one refund and once forced a seller to ship the item. While there were slight delays in both cases, it was evident that GB takes malfeasance seriously, and will protect consumers. If the seller has a good reputation, particularly if they are FFL holders, you can bid with confidence.