The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 26, 2005, 04:44 AM   #1
paradoxbox

Remington 870 - 14" vs 18.5" barrel questions - yes it's legal

Hi ya'll. I'm about to get into the wonderful world of shotguns. I'll be completely honest, I have pretty much no experience with shotguns. My father had some kind of single barrel, single shot 12 gauge that I shot when I was a real youngster, but other than that I know very little about shotties.

Where I live (Canada) 14" barrels on shotties are allowed. I'm considering picking up a remington 870 clone (norinco- they're much higher quality guns than you would think) but I have some decisions to make. I can have either a 14", 18.5", 24" or 28" barrel.

What are the pros and cons of each barrel length? How will a very short barrel affect recoil and accuracy? I plan to use this gun for home defense and I'm not worried about stray rounds as I live alone and no one else lives close enough to be hit by stray buckshot (if it managed to get through the brick walls my house is made of).

I don't plan to use it for skeetshooting or competition which rules out the 28 and 24 inchers. But what kind of difference is there between the 18.5 and 14"?
Old November 26, 2005, 12:08 PM   #2
gdm

barrel length is the only difference.the shorter the barrel, the LOUDER the gun.in very close ranges like 15 feet or 10 yards, the shorter one will be more manuverable but pattern wont make a difference at that range. at longer ranges,35 yards maximum, a 20" barrel would be better.18.5 inches is a pretty good length of both worlds.

you might also note that with the shorter barrel, you wont have the shell capacity of the 18.5 length barrel which uses the longer magazine tube.
Old November 27, 2005, 01:32 PM   #3
guntotin_fool

I have used both. I really like a 14 for indoor situations. much handier, less for BG to try to grab onto in a close situation, easy to drop in to a backpack for outdoor carry. It is louder, but not a LOT louder, it does seem to kick less, not sure why, maybe less velocity out of short tube, sounds crazy but it is my experience. Reasons for an 18" are quieter, ( but a 12 guage indoors is always LOUD.) ability to add a +2 mad extension. Less likely to put your finger over the muzzle by accident. With a 14 you tend you grab the forearm way out there for some reason. My ideal would be a short youth stock or shorter 12" with a 14inch barrel, but we are not allowed such animals without paying extra tax.

consider adding one of these to a 14 inch to make up for not having the +2 extension. http://www.tjgeneralstore.com/speedfeed_stocks.htm
http://www.gunaccessories.com/Speedfeed/stocksets3.asp
Old November 27, 2005, 06:28 PM   #4
fett tracking

Go with the 18.5 and a pistol grip. It will be even shorter than the 14 with a regular stock.
Old November 28, 2005, 03:34 PM   #5
baf2003

i'm with gdm and fett. 18.5" with pistol grip. you will have more manuverability with that than a 14 with a full stock. remember. fast action could save your life in a HD scenario. plus it looks cooler
Old August 31, 2008, 09:46 PM   #6
vts

where can I get a 14inch barrel for my 870 here in California?
Old August 31, 2008, 10:06 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

"Looking cool" should not have anything to do with it.
Old August 31, 2008, 10:06 PM   #8
Scattergun Bob

vts

Unless things have drastically changed in CA, you need to be a Class III dealer, to purchase or have control of a NFA shotgun barrel.

Sorry

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old August 31, 2008, 10:31 PM   #9
vts

Don't think i can get a dealer license.
What do you mean by "have control of a NFA shotgun barrel"?
Old August 31, 2008, 10:51 PM   #10
Scattergun Bob

vts

As in:

1. In you immediate possision.

2. Within your house or common shared area

3. secerated in a area controled by you.

Laws very tight, not much wiggle room.

National Firearms Act = controling body of law that limits shortbarreled rifles & shotguns, and Machine guns.

Please make sure this is still current, it's been awhile since I received a DVD update.

- MACHINE GUNS, SHORT BARRELED RIFLES, SHORT BARRELED SHOTGUNS OR SMOOTH BORE PISTOLS
UNDER CALIFORNIA LAW. Special permits may be obtained from the Department of Justice to possess machine guns
and short-barreled rifles or shotguns, but permits are normally issued only for law enforcement or for motion picture or
television production. Unlawful possession of a short-barreled rifle or shotgun, or a smooth bore pistol, or machine gun
may be punished as a misdemeanor, or as a felony with a sentence of three years in state prison. A person convicted of
misdemeanor machine gun possession may not own any firearm in California for ten years. California does not regulate
possession of machine guns or cannons that are permanently unserviceable, however, there have been successful
prosecutions for "constructive possession" where one person was alleged to have all the parts necessary to assemble a
machine gun.

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old September 1, 2008, 12:50 AM   #11
Bill DeShivs

Permit, not a class 3 license.
Old September 1, 2008, 09:11 AM   #12
Scattergun Bob

Bill

It has been a while since my days in the Bear flag republic, so things may have loosened up. However In my day, struggling to have a side business selling H&K LE products, California had not issued a permit to anyone who did not have a class III license.

I was not involved in the Motion Picture rental business, perhaps permits were issued there. But for the regular joe's like us, "no dice".

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old September 1, 2008, 10:42 AM   #13
mikenbarb

I have never seen a factory 14" barrel and dont see a need to go under 18.5 inches. A 14" barrel will not be better than an 18" for anything that I can see and theres alot more cheaper 18's out there than a 14 inch one.
And yes, You do lose some velocity with shorter barrels and it has been proven in tests. Im sure it isnt much but its some. If you want to go that short, Why not get a handgun?
Old September 1, 2008, 12:26 PM   #14
vts

A 14inch barrel would make it a lot easier to maneuver around my apartment. The only real draw back that i can see is more muzzle flash and having to drop the two shot extension. And yes i have a handgun ready as well.

So in order to get a short barrel for my 870 i have to get a class III license and a permit. Then i would have to pay $200 for the tax stamp.

They really don't want us to have a 14inch shotgun barrel do they. I wounder if it can be proven that all this red tape reduces crime?

I do understand what the words "have control of a NFA shotgun barrel" means, I just wanted you to elaborate on how to get control of a NFA barrel. And you did, thank you
Old September 1, 2008, 11:17 PM   #15
guntotin_fool

mikenbarb. you dont have to buy everything brand new, or keep it as you bought it. An awful lot of hte short barrels I see were 30 inch full chokes at one time, a hack saw, a file and a machinist square will let you make what ever barrel length you need,

Pistol grips on a shot gun are pretty much only for concealment under a coat when on stake out or the like, In actual use, they don't work that well.
Old September 3, 2008, 04:54 PM   #16
derek2007

14'' sounds kinda long mines shorter lol

870 ghost ring with 12.5'' barrel and modified choke tube Yes it has removable chokes muhaaaahaa

And with her big sister 870 with ATI pistol grip stock and 28'' barrel (the barrel on the full size is about the size of the whole other gun)
Old September 4, 2008, 01:17 PM   #17
vts

It has removable coke tube

I don't think it's legal to chop down a barrel.
Old September 4, 2008, 01:31 PM   #18
Bill DeShivs

"I don't think it's legal to chop down a barrel."
Well, you're wrong!
Old September 4, 2008, 02:44 PM   #19
oneounceload

it is illegal, unless you've done the paperwork; the question then becomes....why??..lose magazine capacity, lose velocity....guess I just don't get it...
Old September 4, 2008, 05:43 PM   #20
TxGun

The 14" barrel length has it's uses. The NYPD recently contracted with Mossberg to provide 14" barrelled 590s for all their cruisers after 2 years of OTJ testing. They found the 14" barrels were much easier to handle in the confines of the cars and still delivered the payload with authority at the ranges typically encountered in NYC police work. Granted, a pretty specific application (but I wouldn't mind having one of those ).
Old September 5, 2008, 07:26 PM   #21
derek2007

I plan on adding an ar15 type stock to it and a fab forgrip yeay
Old August 7, 2010, 02:30 PM   #22
spyguy1

Barrel for sale :

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=183609996

Process to legally make your short shotgun legal Step #1 Get a Form 1 (in duplicate) and two fingerprint cards and two 2x2" Passport Photos Step #2 Have your local chief of police or Sheriff sign the back of your completed Form 1 Step #3 Mail your completed forms, signed by your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer, your two fingerprint cards and two photos to the ATF with a US Postal Money Order for $200.00 Step #4 While you are waiting on your approved stamp, send your receiver to an engraver and have your FULL NAME, CITY and STATE Engraved on it, you will have to have the location of this engraving listed on your FORM 1 Step #5 Wait for the approved stamp, 90 days to 12 months, depending on ATF Just a Tip, An UNREGISTERED Short Barrel Shotgun or Rifle or ANY unregistered NFA weapon will get you an Automatic Ten Year Jail Sentence and a $250,000 fine. DO NOT LOOSE YOUR RIGHTS by not paying the fee and doing the right thing. The Tax is a one time tax and thats it, NO CLASS 3 License is required, no FFL is required, you can do it yourself. SO DO NOT ASSEMBLE OR HAVE PARTS IN SAME LOCATION UNTILL FORM IS APPROVED A Good Engraver to use, who is reputable and cheap and quick turn around : (It cost me $60.00 shipped to have my 870 SBS engraved) http://www.orion-arms.com/ Form 1's and Finger Print cards can be obtained here: http://www.atf.gov/forms/dcof/
Old August 7, 2010, 04:07 PM   #23
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

20 some years back, I got to play with a 14" barreled 870 during HRT training.

Up side, quite maneuverable and effective.

Downside, LOUD and with oodles of muzzle flash. In low light with ammo of the day, you got one good shot off and then were semi blind. N/V goggles would be a big help.

This one had standard lumber and was IMO, a much better choice than an 18" barreled 870 with one of those #$%^&*() PGOs.
Old August 7, 2010, 04:09 PM   #24
spyguy1

870 barrels

here are some photos...some guy said
Y? I say Y not..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 870 sbs barrel.jpg (8.2 KB, 1529 views)
File Type: jpg 870 sbs 2.jpg (34.4 KB, 1270 views)
Old August 7, 2010, 04:11 PM   #25
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Don't bother askin' how I know but if you fire a round from a 12-14 inch barrel before you ream off the burrs, you will get your forward knuckles singed!
I just heard this from a little korean buddy of mine...
Brent