The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 6, 2009, 02:39 PM   #326
James R. Burke

I like the flintlock one, that is good. I have one but it shoots the 209. It would be cool to get into anyways. By the time you got it down pat things might be back to normal.
Old May 6, 2009, 03:28 PM   #327
grindal

Finally found some primers, Midway has Federal SP match in stock (or did a minute ago anyway). Ordered 5K which will be plenty for me and my buddy that has been helping me watch for them to come in stock.
Old May 6, 2009, 04:50 PM   #328
Nate1778

Quote:
I am just cutting back on the centerfire and re discovering the joy of rimfire shooting. Yesterday went up to the range and burned through a couple of hundred .22's.

This drought finally made me buy a couple of Cap and Ball revolvers. I always wanted a couple but never really had the motivation, its actually been very nice and fun. Been good to get the ole Kentucky rifle out as well.
Old May 7, 2009, 12:32 AM   #329
Death from Afar

For what its worth, this has even reached the remote shores of new zealand. Primers are really startingto dry up, and with only one or two shipments a YEAR from the US, I have been reliably informed that there will be no primers to be had in New Zealand until the middle of next year.

As an aside, my dealer has been fiedling enquiries from the US for primers, pistols and Ar15 type stuff. Bizarre!
Old May 8, 2009, 10:56 AM   #330
Dan The Sig Man

Well Powder Valley doesnt even have SPP, SRP, LPP, LRP listed anywhere on thier website. Someone the other day posted that you should just got to PV and place a Back Order and just wait for them... Well as far as I can tell Graf's, PV and quite a few others have dropped them from thier websites, so you CAN NOT place Back Orders. "Dear God, Please end this Reloading Componet shortage"... Man this is getting bad.
Old May 8, 2009, 07:52 PM   #331
rdmallory

www.natchezss.com Has LP in stock

I am sure they will sell out . Gone up $10 now selling for $33K but even with hazmat shipping is less the the $104 they are getting on GB.
Old May 11, 2009, 12:07 AM   #332
ForneyRider

I picked up 300cnt WLP at Carter's Country in Spring, TX. It was the limit per customer, and they were out of small rifle. They had lots of 209 primers. I saw a whole box of CCI large pistol magnum.

I didn't see any bulk pistol bullets, they had ton of powder except for Varget.

Bullets were about average. They only carry RCBS and Lyman reloading stuff according to the help. So I broke down and got a RCBS chamfer/deburr tool as I have worn out my Lee.
Old May 11, 2009, 12:59 PM   #333
SnowNCycle

One more Newbie looking for primers

I also just got into reloading with the purchase of a new Dillon 650. Got it all set up and went to get supplies, SURPRISE, no powder or primers available anywhere. I just went and back ordered 75,000 assorted primers and 25 lbs. of assorted powders from Cabela's with the hopes that some of it will ship. I figure if I get lucky and get them all at once, I can at least help out some other enthusiasts who can't find any.

Although I am new to reloading, I have read extensively on the subject, have my Lyman and various other powder manufacturer manuals in hand, just hoping that I will receive the correct combination of supplies to reload the calibers I use most frequently. By the way, I do know NOT to jump in and use this reloader to its fullest potential (say 1,000 rounds of .223 right out of the gate) until I get the hang of it. I hope one day to be one of the guys giving the advice, rather than asking for it!

Good luck to everyone else on your quest for these currently elusive components!
Old May 11, 2009, 01:03 PM   #334
levrluvr

Quote:
I just went and back ordered 75,000 assorted primers and 25 lbs. of assorted powders from Cabela's
Old May 11, 2009, 01:48 PM   #335
Doodlebugger45

I don't shoot as much as a lot of people around here. A couple months ago I was able to find all kinds of primers at my local store for not too bad a price ($39/1000). I was thinking that would be a short term situation, but much to my surprise, I went back in there a couple days ago and they still have a good selection of primers. Maybe not every single brand you want, but at least they have them in every size a guy would want. They claim to have a "good" supply in the back as well. I kind of think they would refuse to sell more than a couple thousand though to one person. They are trying to keep things reasonable for everyone while they can.
Old May 12, 2009, 12:18 PM   #336
SnowNCycle

Well, it's start. Just got 5,000 Remington 2 1/2 Large Pistol. Only 70,000 more assorted to go. At least I can start to reload .45 ACP!

I did notice that many of my backorders at least now have projected dates, something they did not have when originally ordered.

I agree with vonnieglen. Get in line now and at least get them on order. If you find some in the meantime, Cabela's is very good about canceling the backorders.
Old May 12, 2009, 04:58 PM   #337
troy_mclure

just got 1k federal small mag pistol primers for <$32.

it was from borders in summit, ky. he has a several k more, but only 1k per person.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old May 12, 2009, 06:28 PM   #338
Russ5924

I find that ridiculous 70.000 primers on backorder
Old May 13, 2009, 07:34 AM   #339
SnowNCycle

Sorry you feel that way Russ. If you have any other suggestions, I am open to hear them. Just because they are on order does not mean I am going to get all of them. It may take months for them to trickle in. And why is 70,000 ridiculous anyway? One of the activities we have for the mens' group at my church is target shooting. Many do not have the resources to buy ammo but enjoy the fellowship that comes with those get togethers. On any given afternoon, we can go through 1,000 rounds. Reloading is going to be the most economical way we can continue to offer this activity.
Old May 13, 2009, 08:56 AM   #340
troy_mclure

Quote:
I find that ridiculous 70.000 primers on backorder
i know a few people that shoot 1k+ every weekend. 70k is about a years supply.

it makes sense to buy a years supply while they are affordable.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old May 13, 2009, 05:24 PM   #341
rdmallory

Makes shipping a lot easier to take too. The $22 Hazmat fee on 1k primers sure raises the cost.
Old May 15, 2009, 07:48 PM   #342
Mac1045
Registration in progress

Its greed and hoarding

Primers are not in short supply, the problem is whenever a stock is found in a store, some greedy bastard buys them all. Then they list them on GunBroker, or here for exorbitant prices and they get the $$$$$ because shooters are needlessly panicing. Obama is in the WhiteHouse Oh My. If people viewing these auctions would tell the theives to stick em and quit bidding or buying at those prices, prices would come down. These people have to turn em over quickly.
I bought 21,000 primers in the last two days and didnt pay over $24.95 perM for any of them. After I took out what I need, I sold the rest to friends that need primers.
This is how it should work, shooters looking out for each other. If attitudes and practices dont change Obama will have his way. This kind of garbage shows our enemies that we cant stick together when times get tough and that encourages more politicians to abandon us.
WAKE UP PEOPLE, or they guns they will take will be yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp just_having_fun_(2).BMP (84.7 KB, 55 views)
Old May 15, 2009, 10:21 PM   #343
Levant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac1045
the problem is whenever a stock is found in a store, some greedy bastard buys them all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac1045
I bought 21,000 primers in the last two days
Two quotes from the same post. Interesting.
Old May 16, 2009, 08:31 AM   #344
Wulfmann

Levant, you edited selectively and made it look differently than he stated.
He bought more than he needed but shared them with other shooters. That is not the same thing as putting them on GB for double starting and triple ending prices.

Thing is it is not people buying 10-50K primers that is doing this.
The main culprits are those buying up to resell and those panicked people buying 500K or even a million primers and 500-1,000 pounds of powder that are causing this along with those who accept the high GB prices by bidding.

Do what you want people, its a free country.

But, mark my words, this will pass and when it does I will remember those in my area that over stepped and I hope all those that over paid and over stocked take a bath once supply has caught up.

There is actually less shooting going on now while more ammo and supplies have been sold so there will come a day when prices collapse (Impossible you say, like home prices?)

Wulfmann
Old May 16, 2009, 01:06 PM   #345
Fabonz

Just read the whole thread. I'm new to the forum, but here's my 2 cents anyway. Not responding to anyone in particular...

1) Some of you say "there is no shortage..." and go on to blame greedy hoarders, or "gouging" by store owners. Bullcrap. I have been in the "supply chain" industry for years. If there was NO SHORTAGE, the would be no PRICING POWER. In other words, if the shelves at my local gun shop were full, the guy on "gunbauction.com" wouldn't be able to sell his for twice the price.

2) Similarly, "no shortage....but a 4 week back order". Having stock means having it today, in your hand. If you are out, and your re-supply can't get here in 1 week, there is a shortage.

3) People buy too much/more than one person needs. Really? The anti-gun folks say we don't need ANY. A hunter may only need a 100 primers to take deer for the next 50 years. A competition shooter may use 1000/week. Fact is you are either one type of guy or the other. you can tell me you beleive in the right to own guns and shoot them, and out of the same mouth tell me i shouldn't be free to buy as many primers as i can get my hands on. It a PRINCIPLE. What if the gubbermint wanted to limit our purchase to 100 primers per year....how many of you would go for that? I mean how many do you really NEED...?

4) On the other hand...we shooters should help out our brother shooters. If you have enough....leave some for the next guy. Or trade some of yours with a guy who may be short.

like a few of you I am just starting to get into reloading. I know...my timing is perfect, right? I have always shot a few times per year. Lately, I got my CHL and decided to start shooting every week. Then, I started to compete in IDPA, etc. Ammo is hard to find, and expensive. So I decide to look into this reloading...HAH!

My point is there is only one person I TRUST to make sure my needs are taken care of...ME. I can't shoot if I can't rely on a good future supply of ammo. I can re-use the brass. I can cast the bullets. The primers are the "choke" point. No primers, no shoot. Those of you that can get by on a months worth of ammo and "hope" you will be able to re-supply before you run out....well let's just say GOOD LUCK, but I can't relate. If I shoot a box and I can't immediately replace it...I get queezy.

By the way. If you are just shooting for sport, and can take it or leave it, that's fine. If you enjoy hunting, but can just as easily bow hunt, or fish to put food on the table, that's fine. But, if you use your ammo for defense, and the practice that you need to defend yourself and your loved ones now, and ten years from now, then how much ammo is enough? And who do you want to control the SUPPLY?

If I ever have to decide to not practice with my pistol because ammo is getting low, and I don't know when I will be able to get more....well, that tells me I don't have enough.
Old May 16, 2009, 03:53 PM   #346
1911rocks

Primers and Powder Supplies

I believe firmly in Market Forces. I am currently making arrangements to buy primers and powder from Australia. According to a friend in Western Queensland there is no shortage there. Oh by the way for all those pseudo experts: before you start in on the "no guns in Australia" do some research first. Shooting sports are still very much alive and active. Even with shipping the prices are only about $6.00 USD/1000 higher. If the US dealers/wholesalers can't meet the demand there's an entire world out there to purchase from. I'm also exploring South Africa. As to those clowns gouging, or attempting to gouge good luck. I agree with the one gentleman who said it's up to shooters to help each other...again, Market Force. IMHO
Old May 16, 2009, 05:28 PM   #347
kraigwy

T&T Guns, Gillette WY had 2300 sm rifle Fed 205s yesterday. They have 300 now. I have two thousand
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 17, 2009, 12:08 PM   #348
sako2

varget powder

I was just at gunbroker they have the bid up to $155.00 for 2lbs of varget with 9 hrs left and they have a bid of $405.00 on 5 lbs. Thats crazy.
Old May 17, 2009, 12:15 PM   #349
vranasaurus

It is a bit ridiculous but that is the way the market is. It's only selling for that because someone is willing ot pay for it.

I have a bit of varget laying around the house and would certainly be tempted to sell about half my stash at $80 per pound. I would probably feel bad charging that much which is part of the reason I wouldn't do it (the other being I will certainly use it).
Old May 17, 2009, 03:06 PM   #350
gbcop

I just picked up 3#s of it for $72($24/can) at a local supplier. And they still had about 12 #s left. And they usually have Large Pistol and Small Pistol primers when I walk in. Large rifle sometimes, and haven't seen Large Magnum or Small rifle primers since Post Novemeber.