The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 3, 2022, 08:02 PM   #1
old fart

low cost bino's

I know I will get the save more answers but it's not an option at this point. I am on a fixed income and I have just $70 saved for a pair of binoculars. What would be a good buy?, I see a lot on sites but wanted ya'll opinion. Recently I bought a Bushnell scope on sale at Natchez and they had bino's but I don't know a lot about optics. The Tasco off shore 8x25 were 77% off at just $14 but never owned any, others were on sale too but those Tasco's caught my eye because they were a big savings and water-fog proof. I would like 8 power and no larger than 32mm or smaller than 25mm as I have neck trouble and can't carry heavy bino's. Thanks for any help.
Old March 3, 2022, 09:06 PM   #2
jmr40

You are asking a lot, for not much money. Decent glass starts at about $200 most of the time, but I've seen a few exceptions that were acceptable closer to $150.

There are 2 types. Roof Prism are the most commonly seen today and generally have 2 parallel tubes. They tend to be smaller and lighter. Examples in links

https://www.swfa.com/leupold-10x42-b....html?___SID=U

A Poro Prism are an older style where each side is offset.

https://www.swfa.com/bushnell-12x42-....html?___SID=U

If buying inexpensive binoculars, you'll get more for your money with the older Poro Prism style.

Also, the smaller you try to make binoculars you either have to lower quality or raise prices. You'll get much better glass with a set of full-size binoculars.

You might find a decent set of 7X35's or 6X30's in a Poro Prism

It is a little over your budget, but this is the closest thing I can find.

https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-Rogue...9&sr=8-11&th=1

Winston Churchill
Old March 3, 2022, 10:45 PM   #3
chadio

Hmmm... interesting lesson above.

My brother and my dad both have very nice (in my experience) binoculars. Don't know exact details but Vortex and Leupold as I recall... Usually when they offer a look at something, I go "wow" then, the conversation goes to "your birthday is coming up.... what would you like for your birthday?" Umm, binoculars would be great.

Guess what I NEVER get for my birthday.......

Do have one in my boat that I bought at a pawn shop for $6. They are barely better than no binoculars.
Old March 4, 2022, 08:32 AM   #4
WmMunny

Several years ago, Sam's Club had some Bushnell Hemisphere 8x32 roof prism binos for $40. I took one home and liked it so much I went back and got another. For casual, non-demanding use, they're just fine.

Yeah, they're cheaply made-- in fact a plastic trim ring around an objective lens cracked and fell off-- but a dab of glue fixed that. For looking at birds in the yard or checking on what in the Sam Hill the nitwit teen who lives down the block is up to now-- they're well worth the small price.
Old March 4, 2022, 10:29 AM   #5
Bart B.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185321001151
Old March 4, 2022, 03:56 PM   #6
603Country

Nikon USA has refurbished 10 power Nikon Aculon binocs for $69. The 7x35’s are $55.

Nikon has good glass. Probably worth the money.
Old March 5, 2022, 06:51 AM   #7
std7mag

Whoa!!! Nice find, BartB!!!

I bought a pair of 8X32 Vortex Raptors a few years ago.
Budget was tight. Just around $100 if i remember correctly.

They obviously aren't the best glass possible, but nowhere near the very bottom either.
I use them ALOT, year round.
Biggest things going for them to me is.
1) light weight
2) not too bulky
3) decent glass for the price

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old March 5, 2022, 02:46 PM   #8
NHSHOOTER

I needed (wanted) a cheaper pair of bino's for my fishing boat, nothing fancy so I picked these up on ebay, amazing clarity and so far very durable though they are a bit big for hunting..https://www.ebay.com/itm/32418055850...oAAOSw8Ntf6ZDQ
Old March 7, 2022, 11:43 AM   #9
Shadow9mm

Apparently my recommendation was discontinued, disregard.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; March 7, 2022 at 06:47 PM.
Old March 7, 2022, 11:45 AM   #10
pete2

I've used a pair of 7X Nikons for years, really like them. I have a newer pair of 10X Nikons that work well also. Very good glasses without breaking the bank, small and light weight. I don't hunt any more but still use the glasses some.
Old March 7, 2022, 12:09 PM   #11
MarkCO

If I was going to buy a pair of Binoculars under $100, it would be these: https://www.amazon.com/Athlon-Optics...cs&sr=1-8&th=1

I have a Monocular in each vehicle, in the same price range, better glass, if that is an option for you.
Old March 8, 2022, 08:14 AM   #12
hounddawg

keep lurking on EBay, it's great place to find used optics. Over the years I bought 2 pair on there. A pair of Nikons that live on the back porch and a pair of Leupolds for my truck. As near as I can remember both ran me around $100
Old March 8, 2022, 11:17 AM   #13
Bart B.

If the binoculars have a center focus knob and one eye piece focuses, which one should be focused to your eye first?
Old March 8, 2022, 11:56 AM   #14
Unkl Chuck

Focus the fixed side first, then adjust the variable to the best view. Works unless you have a significant vision problem, ask how I know.
Nikons are good, check the Nikon site for refurb deals. Minoltas are also good, fleabay can be a good source for used / refurb binoc's. Stay away from cheap Chicom bino's, the glass is usually terrible and quality control is abysmal or worse.
Old March 8, 2022, 03:53 PM   #15
old fart

UPDATE: I found some Nikon trailblazer 8x25 at my local store and they weren't that good at the late evening when I was there. Matter of fact they had a pair of those Tasco offshore 8x25 that was better trhan the Nikon's which surprised me, both were water and fog proof. A friend of mine came in while I was looking and said he had a new extra pair of bino's that he would sell me at a good price. He already has a lot of binoculars and most are in the mid range price point out of my pocket area. I left and went to his house and he brought them out, they were still new in box and he said he thought since I like smaller bino's that these would fit me. They were Nikon Prostaff 7S 8x30, first thing I thought was I can't afford these but he asked what I had to spend and I said $70. He said throw in a box of 308 ammo and they are yours. He said I have gave hime great deals in the past and he wanted to help me this time. Thanks everyone for your help.
Old March 8, 2022, 10:12 PM   #16
603Country

Great news! Enjoy!
Old March 8, 2022, 11:23 PM   #17
MarkCO

"Fortunate" old fart.

Reaping the benefits of a good friend is always welcome.
Old March 9, 2022, 08:15 PM   #18
old fart

With my problem solved, do any of ya'll have experience with Nikon Pro Staff 7S 8x30's? I have looked online but it's better for me to here it from who I know are real people. thanks
Old March 9, 2022, 08:45 PM   #19
603Country

What do you need to know? We have quite an assortment of Nikon binocs here at the house (we live in the country), and the glass is very good. Years ago, after a heavy rain, I wanted to read the rain gauge on the back fence, so I grabbed my Leica 10 powers. I couldn’t quite read the rain level. My wife read the level with her Nikon 10 powers. I grabbed the Nikons, and sure enough, the Nikons did let me read the gauge. You should be happy with the Nikons. They might not be built like a tank, like the Leicas, but they will do the job.
Old March 14, 2022, 09:05 AM   #20
iosteyee

My research suggests best bang for the buck in bino's is probably Athlon, then Vortex.
Old March 16, 2022, 10:25 PM   #21
Prof Young

Shop yard sales!

I'm constantly seeing high powered binocs at yard sales for not all that much $$$$. I bought one for $10 and they work great. Don't recall the brand.

Life is good.
Prof Young