The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old October 11, 2000, 02:17 PM   #1
RT0

Hi,

I am considering going to a local gun show at San Jose. I don't have immediate plans of buying a gun, probably next month. Also, I am a begineer to shooting, mostly .22 and 9mms.

It is worth a visit? What to expect?

Thanks
RT0
Old October 11, 2000, 05:55 PM   #2
Grayfox

Gun shows are like yard sales. Sometimes you can get a bargin and sometimes you get the shaft. The important thing is to know what your looking for and what price range it should be in. Used guns can be real bargins if you know what to look for. Or they can be total junk if you don't know. Do a search for "used guns". This has been discussed in detail several times before and should give you the basics of what to check or look for.
Guns shows are also a good place to handle and compare different models you may be considering. See what you like and works for you.
Always haggle the price. Sometimes it works and sometimes it don't. No harm in trying.
And rule number one: look at everything before buying anything. It realy hurts to buy something and then find the same thing on another table but at a cheaper price.
Go, look, enjoy and have a good time.

------------------
Since light travels faster than sound, isn't it logical that some people appear bright until you hear them speak?
Old October 11, 2000, 06:52 PM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Not only do I haggle - but I go around the whole show once to see whats availble... Take a little notebook to keep track.
Then the second time you make offers and haggle soem prices...
Then the 3rd time close the deals.
I've gotten ammo and other supplies for 1/2 the advertised price. Guns - down 20% usually. Knives? 25%.

Gunshows are a lot of work.
Old October 11, 2000, 07:13 PM   #4
VictorLouis

Assuming it is in a typical, large room, establish a pattern. For instance, as you begin, you may wish to start on your right, walking methodically up and down the aisles one after the other in a row. That way, you miss nothing, and in fact, you will see the same guns priced differently on dealer's tables(assuming new, available models). Do as George suggested, and keep track in a notebook. Then, you can go back to the cheapest dealer with the one that you want and attempt to haggle from there. If you are shopping used, note the cheapest price that you've seen for the NEW gun in order to be in a better bargaining position.

Bring your own water, and a sandwich if you can. The concessions pay up-the-wazoo to be in there, and they charge it back to us accordingly.