The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 28, 2017, 10:59 PM   #1
CalmerThanYou

Ruger Precision Rifle Gen. 2

Any feedback on The Ruger Precision? I just picked one up in 6,5 Creedmoor, my first bolt action. Looking forward to seeing how it shoots out of the box.

Anyone make mods?

Last edited by CalmerThanYou; April 28, 2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old April 28, 2017, 11:02 PM   #2
Blindstitch

Never knew it was a lever action.

Always thought they were bolt action.
Old April 28, 2017, 11:08 PM   #3
CalmerThanYou

Proof read...and save edit. Note to self. Sorry
Old April 29, 2017, 12:59 AM   #4
Blindstitch

Maybe it's just me but I think you bought the out of the box best you could.

Not like you're going to have to worry about bedding the stock. And for the price if it doesn't shoot good groups it's either you or it. And back to Ruger it goes.

I'd say you're good to go shoot a group for us. Don't forget to review what you like or don't like for us.
Old April 29, 2017, 03:31 AM   #5
Old Stony

I don't know what I would do with another Creedmore as I have several already and love the caliber, but the Ruger precision really interests me. I don't know what the difference is between the Gen. 1 and Gen. 2...maybe someone on here will explain this to me. It's a great caliber and I think you made a good choice. I hope you take the time to do a range report and post lots of pic's and all that.
Old April 29, 2017, 09:33 AM   #6
CalmerThanYou

The Gen 2 has a redesigned bolt, added a muzzle brake, added 20 moa pic. but not on the handguard to allow clearance for larger scopes, possibly updated the safety. Otherwise pretty much the same.

I will be happy to post some reviews after I get the proper number of shots down range. First impression is that it is a beast, compared to what I am used to a DD V11SLW @6.09 LBS
Old May 3, 2017, 04:39 PM   #7
Old Stony

Love to see some of the shooting results and your impressions of the rifle.
Old May 3, 2017, 09:06 PM   #8
Rancid

A good friend of mine just purchased one in 6.5CM and with factory ammo it is remarkably accurate out to 800 yards. He was easily shooting 0.5 MOA groups at 800. He is just getting into the reloading game and long range shooting. I'm curious to see what it will do with some decent handloads. For an out of the box rifle it is hard to beat.
Old May 3, 2017, 11:31 PM   #9
supercub99

I had one in .308 and it shot just ok. I hand load and got it down to decent groups but it took a few attempts. I have a 100 yd range and my original plan was to pick up a good 6.5 barrel and swap them out. I found I didn't care for the stock so changed it to the MagPul and it was much, much better. The stock is clunky to adj in my opinion, let me know what you find. If I would have gotten the 6.5 (none available) I would have kept it but decided I didn't want to put out another $300 on a barrel and wasn't thrilled with it so sold it.
Nothing wrong with it, solid platform and most seem to like them.

Ps, they added a metal bolt shroud to the Gen 2. and changed the handguard.
Old May 4, 2017, 02:36 AM   #10
stagpanther

Heard they are also producing a 6mm creedmoor.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:32 AM   #11
kraigwy

I bought my wife a RPR (first gen) in 6.5 CM. My son liked it an got a Gen. 2 in 308 Win. Both are extremely accurate.

I'm not sure there is any difference in the accuracy department between the two but I give the edge to the 6.5 but that's an ammo issue, not the gun.

But to be honest, my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM holds its own against both RPRs.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071