The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Which 9mm
Kahr PM9/CM9 22 20.18%
Glock 43 23 21.10%
Ruger LC9s 19 17.43%
M&P Shield 45 41.28%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 6, 2017, 01:09 AM   #26
Mosin44az

I actually have owned all the guns you listed.

I voted for the Shield.

My Kahr CM9 and PM9 were both a bit finicky about what ammo they would run, how they were held. Never learned to trust them and got rid of them.

My LC9s failed to run reliably with both of the first hollow points I ran through it. Since at that time I had already had trouble with several other Ruger guns, I lost patience with the brand and dumped it rather than sending it back.

My Shield has run perfectly, has a nice trigger and is accurate.

I bought a Glock 43 recently at a gun show, because it had a nice Ameriglo night sight on the front at a good price, and I thought it might be small enough for front pocket carry.

The Glock IS a bit smaller and lighter than the Shield, but even the Glock, at this point, is maybe a bit big for most of my front pockets. Like the Shield, it's accurate with a good trigger. Felt recoil is a bit more than the Shield, but not horrible. No malfs so far.

Because it is a bit more comfortable to shoot than the G43, and mine has run perfectly through several hundred rounds, I voted Shield. But even though it may not work for pocket carry (that Holy Grail I have never found, the good pocket 9), I am keeping the G43 also.
Old February 6, 2017, 03:02 AM   #27
RolandD

Looked at and rented all those you are considering. I liked Kahr the best and ended up getting a CW9, which I carry daily. Just smaller than the Glock 43, slightly longer grip and easier to control than the CM9. Lighter and fit my hands better than the LC9 or the Shield. It's one smooth shooter.
Old February 6, 2017, 06:58 AM   #28
radir68

I looked at the Shield, the LC9s and the CW9 Kahr. I went with the Shield. Fit my hand very good and trigger was good enough for a carry gun. Didn't care for the Ruger in hand. I liked the Kahr but at the time it seemed that they had a spotty track record. My Shield has about 6-800 rounds thru it with only one dud and that's not the guns fault. All your choices seem solid.
Old February 6, 2017, 07:48 AM   #29
tntviper1

no love for Springfield? bad poll
Old February 6, 2017, 08:24 AM   #30
mpolk

I have an XDs also but it almost feels like it is wide enough to be double stack. Shoots great but harder to conceal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old February 6, 2017, 08:58 AM   #31
peggysue

SCCY
Old February 6, 2017, 01:51 PM   #32
Rjeezie

Quote:
no love for Springfield? bad poll

I actually have a XDs 45... but the poll said looking for a smaller/lighter 9mm for 'summer' months. Love it, but want something smaller for when the clothes get a lot lighter, especially here in the TX heat!
Old February 7, 2017, 03:22 PM   #33
DMK

I used to pocket carry an S&W 642, then I started carrying a CZ PCR IWB for the ability to make more accurate hits. Now my EDC is a 9mm Shield due to the increased comfort, lighter weight and the ability to carry while dressed business casual with my shirt tucked in.

My short list consisted of the Shield, the XDS and the G43. I shot both the Shield and the G43, but still have not had the opportunity to shoot an XDS.

Aside from costing a lot less than the others, I found the Shield to be a very controllable gun with a decent trigger. Shooting steel from 15yds to 25yds, I feel very confident in my abilities to make hits. The gun has good ergonomics and is very reliable. It also is a very popular gun and has good aftermarket support for holsters, sights and other accessories (though the XDS also seems to have good aftermarket support).
Old February 7, 2017, 03:28 PM   #34
Rjeezie

What about the Sig 290RS.... anybody shot it before? Thoughts?
Old February 7, 2017, 04:11 PM   #35
Cheapshooter

My Kahr CM9 is easy to carry,accurate, and has been 100% reliable. I don't see the need tospend twice the money on the PM modle for upgrades that are not needed.
Any of your candidates are worth further study. Especially if you can rent them totry out.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 7, 2017, 04:18 PM   #36
ddc

Not exactly what you are looking for but close… 

I have a Ruger LC9s Pro, S&W Shield, Glock 42 (the 380, not the 43/9mm), Kahr MK9 (steel version of PM9).

The Kahr MK9 has been my long time carry pistol. The trigger is very smooth and is often described as “revolver like”.
It has a long pull compared to the other three. It is completely stock. It has been very reliable with one exception: An ongoing issue is the tendency of the mags to shed a round or two if the mag is carried loose in a pocket. I’ve since retired it and will be putting it up for sale in the near future.

The Shield’s trigger was rather stout when new. It had a decent break but heavy trigger pull. We installed an Apex Duty/Carry trigger kit and it made a big difference. This is actually my wife’s carry and she likes it. I shoot it more accurately than I thought I would. I don’t think she has had any issues with it. I could be happy with it but after doing a bunch of comparison shopping/testing have gone with the LC9s Pro instead.

The LC9s Pro has a very nice factory trigger. I feel no overwhelming need to tweak it, unlike the Shield where I had an immediate desire to work on it. This is a fairly new purchase but I have not had to deal with any issues and am getting close to about one thousand rounds through it.

I won the Glock 42 in a drawing. It has a typical Glock trigger but it is on the stiff side. I have not had any trigger work done on it. It is a soft shooter compared to the others as you might expect given 380 vs. 9mm. Of the four it is the one I have the least experience with.

I think any of the four you listed would do the job; it’ll just depend upon which one floats your boat.

Good luck.
Old February 7, 2017, 05:25 PM   #37
Buckeye!

Only single stack pocket 9 I reccomend is a Taurus PT709

http://www.gunsandammo.com/handguns/...-9mm-shootout/

This is a link to Guns & Ammo Single Stack 9 shootout...

My little PT709 slim has been flawless
Old February 7, 2017, 06:15 PM   #38
kramden

I voted for the Shield which I have. But I also have a Glock 43 which I like almost as well. Pretty much a horse apiece as far as I'm concerned.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:36 PM   #39
PlatinumCore16

Realize thread's a little old, but I would like to know what you ended up going with, OP.

Personally I would put in a(nother) vote for a Taurus PT709. I have carried and put over 200 rounds through mine over the past 5 years. Did just find a batch of Federal FMJ that liked to malfunction, but I've never had an issue with anything else as far as handloads, or commercially available JHP or FMJ. I just know that if I want some practice clearing malfunctions I can buy some more of that Federal, though it might have literally just been the batch and not Federal in general, so I'll have to do some more testing.

Buckeye, thanks for that G&A article. I've found that so many people count off Taurus due to other QC issues with many of their firearms, but I don't think I've actually found/read any negative reviews on the PT709 specifically.
Old May 1, 2017, 09:00 PM   #40
roarshock

Was that like 4 whole boxes of bullets? And no malfunctions at all, except for maybe a few? Fantastic weapon, sounds like. Congratulations.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:37 PM   #41
Bamashooter

Haters gonna hate and believe it or not I used to hate Glocks because of the owners and their crap but when the 43 came out I just happened to be in the market to upgrade my carry gun and I bought a G43. At first I couldnt shoot it worth a damn, shots grouped well but I was pulling them left. Well after a couple hundred rounds I dont do that anymore. Its been 100% reliable and will at least shoot as good as any on the list if not better.

I have since bought a G21 police trade in that has had the trigger modified, a stainless guide rod/recoil spring added and trijicon night sights. These things were done by the gun shop I got it from after they got it. Man what a great shooting .45 this thing is. Has holster wear but shoots like a dream. Did I mention I used to hate glocks and their fanboy owners? Funny how things work out.

Next I want a G19!!
Old May 2, 2017, 10:00 AM   #42
JDBerg

Per the OP's list I'd have to choose the Shield with a thumb safety, that trigger is "IMHO" a bit light for CCW purposes, so there may not be many who'd agree here, but I'd want the thumb safety on any Shield intended as a CCW.

Better yet I'd go with my own Walther PPS-M2, again "IMHO", this has one of the best triggers suitable for a CCW that I've come across, and it certainly doesn't need a thumb safety. And I like the stock sights on it, other than the 8rd accessory mags that I picked up, this package is good to go as a great little CCW straight out of the box, I haven't & wouldn't change a thing on this gun!
Old May 2, 2017, 11:23 AM   #43
PlatinumCore16

Roar, not sure if sarcasm or not. But I was just giving a minimum/I probably had the number in my head due to just finishing the 200 that I bought recently. I keep as much of my brass as I can, but I didn't when I first started shooting it. I went through and counted out what I have on me right now: 4 boxes of empty brass and that was before I went through 2 100rd boxes, one of which was the federal that gave me issues. So probably 200 before I started keeping brass(the "standard" for "breaking in" a pistol), plus about 100 I reloaded with my buddy before moving, the 200 empties, and the 200 I shot over the past month, that puts me up to approximately 700 with about 10 malfunctions out of a lot of 100 Federal. This could be off, but it's certainly not any less than 500 because I have the 200 empties, plus just buying/shooting 200 and I know I shot a few boxes when I first got it. I bought a small box of the Federals to see if perhaps it is Federal in general (ha) or if it was just that batch.

Personally I'd say I'm not happy with the malfunctions, but I've never seen it with the other 5 brands I've shot plus handloads, and I'll be shooting some more handloads in the near future (a buddy of mine is getting a used reloading press with all the kit to boot so needless to say I'm excited). So I'm pretty satisfied, but you are entitled to your own opinion.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:35 PM   #44
chaim

If I was looking for a small 9mm, I'd be looking at double stacks. The greater capacity and better fit (likely) in my hand would put them over the small micro-9s with little cost in concealment. I'd likely go M&P9c, G26 or CZ RAMI.

If it had to be a single stack, I'd go heavier than your list. It would make for quicker and more accurate follow up shots, and still be pocketable. Id go with the Kahr MK9 (all metal) or SIG P290RS.

What I did when I was looking at what you're looking at...I got a SIG P290RS and a Kel Tec Pf-9. I'm keeping the P290RS (even though it doesn't really fit my current carry "philosophy") and I'm selling the Pf-9.

Quote:
What about the Sig 290RS.... anybody shot it before? Thoughts?
I love mine. It is more accurate than a gun this small has a right to be and it is more comfortable to shoot than I would have ever expected. It really does perform like the next size up, though it doesn't have the capacity. I'll probably keep mine forever.
Old May 3, 2017, 11:11 AM   #45
gglass

This...

Old May 3, 2017, 01:46 PM   #46
lee n. field

Quote:
Starting to look for a new 9mm. Want it for CC in summer, so want something a little smaller.

Looking at these:

Kahr PM9/CM9
Glock 43
Ruger LC9s
M&P Shield

Thoughts?
the XDS is in that same size and price range. Mine works just fine. (Yes, I know the Internet gun enthusiast social media herd mind is PO-ed at Springfield right now.)

If you insisted I go with one of those 4, I'd probably get the Shield.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 3, 2017, 03:15 PM   #47
PlatinumCore16

Whilst I think your comment on the Springfield Armory anger is funny, I think it's a little unfair as well. Whilst I don't think I'm a "sheeple" I don't think many people do. I saw what happened, fact checked a bit, and came to a conclusion: that Springfield Armory just tried to pull a fast one or at least got a seriously unfair advantage over FFL dealers in Illinois that are not corporations/the manufacturers on the "I don't count" list. Bottom line is that it appears that a large company used its influence to help limit 2nd amendment rights of law abiding citizens and small businesses that support said citizens.

Off topic, so I won't discuss further, but I disagree with your poo pooing of people being in an uproar over an action that appears to be, quite frankly, horse hockey.
Old May 3, 2017, 03:57 PM   #48
lee n. field

Quote:
Whilst I think your comment on the Springfield Armory anger is funny, I think it's a little unfair as well. Whilst I don't think I'm a "sheeple" I don't think many people do. I saw what happened, fact checked a bit, and came to a conclusion: that Springfield Armory just tried to pull a fast one or at least got a seriously unfair advantage over FFL dealers in Illinois that are not corporations/the manufacturers on the "I don't count" list. Bottom line is that it appears that a large company used its influence to help limit 2nd amendment rights of law abiding citizens and small businesses that support said citizens.

Off topic, so I won't discuss further, but I disagree with your poo pooing of people being in an uproar over an action that appears to be, quite frankly, horse hockey.
I think you're misconstruing my remarks. But, that's a discussion for elsewhere.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 3, 2017, 04:53 PM   #49
keithdog

Of the 4 you have listed, my choice would be the Shield. A proven winner, functions flawlessly and easy to carry, though not a pocket gun. Plus, it can be purchased at a very fair price. It's the gun I have been carrying for a Shield for a few years and really like it. However, I have been eyeing a Walther PPS-M2 lately and really like it. I am considering replacing the Shield with the PPS-M2, but ONLY because I like how it feels in my hand better and it has an easier slide than the Shield. If you are looking for a lighter gun, your list shows the LC9S and I have heard nothing but praise for that gun from guys who own one. The LC9S Pro has no safety or magazine disconnect, so if those aspects are something you want, get the Pro. If however, you want a gun with more safety features, stick with the LC9S.
Old May 4, 2017, 01:08 AM   #50
proarcher16

Those are all great choices. My recommendation would be to add a Walther PPS to the list!