The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 20, 2013, 03:37 PM   #26
Geezerbiker

Deer hunting in Western Oregon has gotten so bad that I've pretty much given up on it. I may go next year since my grandsons are getting jazzed up about it but the only place I see deer any more is in my yard when they're eating my garden.

Tony
Old December 21, 2013, 08:45 PM   #27
Bowhunter57

It's going to be a fact that we're going to have to hunt coyotes in the winter/spring months, if we want to hunt deer in the fall.

I've seen, heard and killed more coyotes than deer, in my area. Deer predation is at an all time high. I have no doubt that in 6 to 8 years, the deer population will become nearly non-existent.

Read these research facts: http://gameandgarden.com/sustainabil...r-populations/

Bowhunter57
Old December 22, 2013, 04:36 AM   #28
Gunplummer

Get used to it. The predators are taking over. I was hunting a mountain this year and cut bobcat tracks. First I saw in about 40 years of hunting on that mountain. Big enough to snag a fawn, I would think. Supposedly bear are getting to be hell on fawns too. We got plenty of them. (I am in PA.) Don't even start on coyotes. Some State Reps want to pass a bounty bill on them right now.
Old December 22, 2013, 06:13 PM   #29
bcarver

58 minutes

I hunted a total of 58 minutes and killed one deer. This included travel time from the camp to my stand and back. I may have been in the stand 10 minutes. Going back next week to see if my luck holds up.
Old December 24, 2013, 08:38 AM   #30
hooligan1

Bamaranger I fell ya buddy, the north Missouri section was low on deer population. I shot one opener morn, the only saw two more that day with no shot at either.
My son got one medium sized doe during antlerless season.. I usually put two or three in freezer for my family, didn't happen this year. maybe next year.
Old December 25, 2013, 04:04 AM   #31
bamaranger

still at it

Still at it, but pushing hard to stay sharp. Slept in today, and bamaboy and I scouted a bit and ran pre Christmas errands. One set of really promising scrapes I'd been on, belonging to a absolutely dandy buck I'd seen in Sept, have gone very cold and I fear the worst. We did pick 4 new trees, including 2 that pertain to this monster, and so I have some motivation to hunt a bit more.

RE the recent WMA hunt. I was in place in good time, and at about 0800 a pair of deer blew by about 75 yds out, apparently being run by something. I never could ID them, but suspect a doe and yearling due to size. Then it rained.

Next I get to hunt will be 26 Dec AM.
Old December 25, 2013, 09:10 AM   #32
Hawg

Its rained so much here I haven't been able to go. I had to sell my Jeep and 4 wheeler. I sure do miss them now.
Old January 3, 2014, 11:46 PM   #33
bamaranger

still huntin'.....saw some

Finally. Cold for here, so I slept in and hunted mid morning. Often see deer feed late in cold (for us) weather.

Good plan.

No kill, but I saw more deer in about an hour and a half (had to go to work) as I've seen all season, including a 3-pt that I would have shot, had it not been 400 yds and back and forth across a property line. Saw 6 for sure, maybe 8-10, including the 3-pt and a dorky little spike.

The 3-pt was worrying a doe, and she was largely ignoring him. I will slide down the ROW next chance, and be closer to the draw and fencerow they seem to be favoring as they move to a food plot on adjacent property.

Hmm! That's a topic for another post.
Old January 25, 2014, 09:45 PM   #34
bamaranger

finally

The worst season ever experienced a greatly appreciated up beat on Tues. when a 3-1/2 year old 8-point made the mistake of wandering within 55-60 yds of my .308 while I was in a favorite "rut" stand on public land, and I dropped him.

Finally.

It does not look like I will take a deer with a bow this season, first time in 25 years, but at least I have not been skunked.

The rut came on strong, and had more deer sightings in 2-3 weeks than I'd had in 2-3 months prior.

Ya can't kill one at the house.
Old January 25, 2014, 10:58 PM   #35
603Country

This was an Ok season for me. Being retired and living on the land that I hunt let's me hunt whenever I want. It's great and I know how lucky I am. I put pig and venison in the freezer this year. I didn't get the big buck, but he showed up at cameras during the day. He's still out there. I've been blasting coyotes and pigs regularly, but I'll never get them all.

Hunting never changes, in that you have some good years and some bad years, but any year that I get to hunt is a good one.

Got a coyote in the front pasture this morning. Wife was screaming that a coyote was after our big housecat. I dropped the yote. Weighed 27 pounds. Cat weighs 20. Not sure the coyote would have won that one.