The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 21, 2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Ivo Suarez

Winchester AA question

I just got into reloading shotshells, and I think I have a decent understanding of it, but I ran into a problem the other day.

I bought a bag of 100 once-fired winchester AA hulls along with the Lyman "Shotshell Reloading Handbook" (5th edition). The book has a ton of different hull/primer/powder/wad/shot combinations, but it doesn't have any recipies for the Winchester AA hulls. It does, however, have recipies for "Winchester HS or Compression Formed Plastic Cases, Fold Crimp". Do the AA's fall under compression formed plastic cases, or am I going to need to buy different hulls to use this book? Thanks for the help.

EDIT: by the way, these are 12ga hulls.
Old May 21, 2010, 09:18 PM   #2
grubbylabs

Not sure what they fall under but I buy either one of these, cheap and they work well.
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/pro...mber=064121602
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/pro...number=1391272

I found that as long as you are using a similar hull they work fairly well, but you should load with caution when doing this.

My favorite load so far has been

The Fiocchi hull loaded with 30 grains WSF Win 209 Primer and one winn WAA12 wad (pg 177 in my 4th edition.)

It has a little more punch than Econo bulk loads like what you get from Walmart, but I think it performs better, at least out of my gun.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)

Last edited by grubbylabs; May 21, 2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old May 21, 2010, 10:10 PM   #3
rg1

The Winchester AA are compression formed hulls. Also other Winchester such as the Super-X hulls are compression formed. A couple years ago, I lose track of time, Winchester switched to the HS 2 piece hulls which as you've seen says that data for the new HS 2 piece hull will interchange with the compression formed hulls. If you look inside the bottom of the fired hull you can see the separate piece base of the 2 piece HS hull. If you look inside your compression formed AA hulls you'll see one continuous plastic hull, no separate piece. The older Win AA compression formed hulls were great and loaded easily and lasted several firings. The new HS hulls I understand don't load as easily, don't last as long, and sometimes the lips of the wad hang on the separate base.
As a new shotshell loader, follow reloading data exactly using the exact components listed in your manual. Don't switch wads or primers or hulls unless you have the exact combination listed in the manual. Lyman's Shotshell manual is a great manual.